8GB SD on D80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddyw

Jan 20, 2007
Hi Guys and Gals,

Thinking of getting an 8GB SD Card for my D80. Anyone know if compatible? Or which brand to use?

Cheers

Ever heard of the phrase

"Don't store all your eggs in one basket"?

Don't store all your photos on one card, albeit a large one. If it crashes, that's it.

4GB x2 better. You will find it hard to fill even 1 card after 1 or 2 shoots, unless of course you are very trigger happy.

Hi Guys and Gals,

Thinking of getting an 8GB SD Card for my D80. Anyone know if compatible? Or which brand to use?

Cheers

yes i agree.dont store all your eggs in one bag.

better to get 2 x 4gb.

btw, ot a little, can d80 change the file names?eg, DSC0001 to D80sc0001?

I think its possible to change the file names, but there is a limit in the number of characters you can input. Check the manual, should be listed there.

8GB is crazy - it will take forever to load the files onto your computer. haha, 2 x 4GB is better! You can shoot with one while loading the other.

Yes trigger happy on a five day holiday without having to carry my notebook. :) Yeah maybe 2x4GB better.

Yes trigger happy on a five day holiday without having to carry my notebook. :) Yeah maybe 2x4GB better.

Better yet, 4x2GB. Really. The more cards you spread your photos out on, the more you reduce any loss of photos, should one card crash.

Better yet, 4x2GB. Really. The more cards you spread your photos out on, the more you reduce any loss of photos, should one card crash.

But the more the chances of one card crashing, and losing some photos :p

Anything can crash, better to have 4x2G plus OTG HDD as backup on the move.

When you have OTG HDD to back up photos on the move, it is better to break out the memory into few smaller one, so that you can do backup of each card. If one big memory card, then everytime you do backup, it copy everything form the card to HDD all over again, it end up taking too long and too many duplicates.

Anything can crash, better to have 4x2G plus OTG HDD as backup on the move.

When you have OTG HDD to back up photos on the move, it is better to break out the memory into few smaller one, so that you can do backup of each card. If one big memory card, then everytime you do backup, it copy everything form the card to HDD all over again, it end up taking too long and too many duplicates.

WTD121.gif

i shipped two Transcend 8 GB SDHC cards from US online stores early Jan and they have been serving me as well as my not so old 4GB SDHC Sandisk + an older 1GB Panasonic
My 256mb Hagiwara card is still as reliable as ever

With reputable brands i would think that risk of an SD failure is still not too high.
I figure if i were to lose one of my SD cards, i would probably lose the others as well
( maybe i gotta put one in the left pocket, one in the right , and then i would run out of pockets )

Cheers
Ryan

OT abit BUT related :bsmilie: ... any idea what's a good 4gb SD card to buy and how muchie? Thanks ya. :angel:

I am not afraid of putting all eggs in one basket because I always do backup :D

My only complaint for large capacity is downloading is painfully slow :(

I am using a 4GB CF now and it easily fills 1000+ pictures, so it could take a few minutes just to do the transfer although the read speed of the CF and reader to be at around >15Mbps :sweat:

I am not afraid of putting all eggs in one basket because I always do backup :D

My only complaint for large capacity is downloading is painfully slow :(

I am using a 4GB CF now and it easily fills 1000+ pictures, so it could take a few minutes just to do the transfer although the read speed of the CF and reader to be at around >15Mbps :sweat:

1000+ photos? Wow... that's a lot to be shooting for 4GB. Do you shoot in RAW?

Nope, jpg large...each image is about 3MB+ :lovegrin: Btw my cam is 6MP :lovegrin:

haha, okay - it will be very significantly less shots if someone is shooting at 10.1mp and RAW, or even JPEG Fine, large

Status
Not open for further replies.