8GB CF card akan datang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
For those who are power hungry ..... here's the good news!

CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - the digital photographer's choice in storage

The Seagate CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive will now offer an unheard of 8,000 MB of capacity for digital cameras in a tiny 1-inch standard CompactFlash Type II card and at a far more attractive price than flash-based cards. It will let photographers shoot huge volumes of high-resolution pictures without changing the card - this reduces set-up time and extends shoot cycles, which saves photographers valuable time and resources. Consumers will find they can take full advantage of moving video features on their cameras. Its massive 8GB capacity can reduce the need to purchase or carry additional storage cards and can deliver over 2400 high-resolution (6 megapixel) pictures, or over 6400 standard-resolution pictures (3 megapixel) on a single card. The Seagate CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive plugs into CompactFlash Type II slots on many of today's digital video and still cameras.

Heard the launch should be in Aug/Sept 2005 .... no news about the pricing. Now we can forget about those portable storage device when travelling oversea.

Dont think it is going to be cheap .. guess over 1k ba ... 4GB currently going around 650+/-

Lexar 8GB is going at 1.6K USD IIRC.

This one seems to be like a Microdrive to me.

If I'm not wrong, despite the misleading name of using compactflash, this is based on the 1-inch HDD and probably encased into the CF II card; hence the compactflash name is used. If so, then the 8GB should be alot cheaper than an 8GB flash would. At the same time then I supposed there'll be more risk on damaging it by shaking or dropping the card then a normal flash would. I guess this is the pro and con of it.

If the current MDs already read/write at this kind of speed.. doubt the newer ones can do a significant jump in speed :)

depends on which type of platter and head technology they using.

high density platter means faster read/write but slower seeking

however, this also means more prone to damage and errors

no way i will use a Microdrive for camera

Question:

With these super-high capacity cards coming up, aren't you worried about "putting all of your eggs in one basket"? Sorry, but I believe in Murphy's Laws when it comes to technology, that these cards are most likely to fail at a time when you can least afford them to. Especially Microdrive devices.

Imagine you're paid to do a wedding shoot, and your 8GB card gets corrupted, damaged or lost (which could easily happen), then how? This one, you really go up lorry already.

For me personally, I'd rather buy multiple 512MB cards.

Omg 8GB! I think that's gonna cost a bomb, but as what people will do is that they would prefer to get mutiple cards rather than just 1. :)

I'd rather get multiple 1GB CF cards or split between SD & CF if using Eos 1Ds MKii/ 1D MKii..

I believe this 8GB CF card is target at consumer that shoot raw and also shoot many frame at one go.

With 8GB, it can last longer before changing CF card.

For those that worried about the failure of CF card be it Micro drive or Memory chip in CF card, the solution is to have a duplicate copy.

Once the CF-Microdrive or CF-memoryChip fill up, make a duplicate copy into partable Hard disk
Image bank like CompactDrive PD70X and still keep the fill up CF card.

If the 8GB CF card will take 1-2 days to fill up, you may want to backup to PD70X every 4 hours (or any rate that you are comfortable with).

Of cource this is going to be costly. If you are really worried about the CF card failure and
image that you have in CF card is very important.

As the rate of technology moving forward, I guess, in the next one-Two years, most likely
there will be no more new 512MB or 1GB CF card being manufacture, the lowest that available might be 2GB and above.

So do I have such a elaborate scheme to protect my image in CF card ?
No I do not, I can't affort it, also most of my shoot is casual and Photograhy is hobby
in nature.

The similar scheme is typical in the IT world and deployed in many big company.

I think the current rush to buy higher capacity card is somewhat misguided.

Right now, the per MB cost is lowest amoung the 1 GB card, I don't see any reason to get cards with larger capacity.

Not too many moons ago, we had 36 shots per roll. Now, assuming we have a 8MB camera, and are shooting raw, we should be able to get 100+ shots per 1 GB Card, that is 3 rolls. Why are we complaining? Perhaps, not too many of us had experience the romance of changing film :)

Anyother reason for not buying larger capacity card is, card WILL FAIL. I guaranty it. The larger the capacity, the more eggs in a basket, the bigger heartache when a card fail. A hundred images a card is at much risk I am ready to tolerate.

Microdrive, well, it's more prone to failure than flash memory. Why are we even talking about it?

Deadpoet said:
I think the current rush to buy higher capacity card is somewhat misguided.

Anyother reason for not buying larger capacity card is, card WILL FAIL. I guaranty it. The larger the capacity, the more eggs in a basket, the bigger heartache when a card fail. A hundred images a card is at much risk I am ready to tolerate.

Microdrive, well, it's more prone to failure than flash memory. Why are we even talking about it?
There are many real reasons why people go crazy for higher capacity ... (think of motorcar, computers, etc)
1. New cams are all of higer file size and as such take up more memory. Not many people would like to go back to 512Mb cards, wont you agree? Not too long ago a 256Mb card was "whao!"
Most consumer cams now how recording feature and if you have one, how long do you think a 1Gb card will last in a get-together event?
2. In certain events, sports, fashion, no photographer will want to change the card in the middle of action.
3. For travellers, everyone knows how troublesome to bring along additional supporting devices, and if there is a 20Gb cards one day, people will still want them..,,
4. How many photographers have their photos deleted/damaged by their microdrive?
Based on your opinion, i think a 256Mb card will actually be more than enough for most of us in our "normal" use.
But let just say, if the new Seagate 8Gb CF card (microdrive or not, I am not sure) has a buffer memory (say 32Mb) and cost less than $400, will we still NOT talk about it. This is the power of technology, anything is possible. The buffer memory will speed up the transfer to about the same, if not more than the other card technology. and the cost!
Please note that I have nothing to do with Seagate and i just want to kopitiam-talk with the friends here.....

Canonised said:
There are many real reasons why people go crazy for higher capacity ... (think of motorcar, computers, etc)
1. New cams are all of higer file size and as such take up more memory. Not many people would like to go back to 512Mb cards, wont you agree? Not too long ago a 256Mb card was "whao!"
Most consumer cams now how recording feature and if you have one, how long do you think a 1Gb card will last in a get-together event?
2. In certain events, sports, fashion, no photographer will want to change the card in the middle of action.
3. For travellers, everyone knows how troublesome to bring along additional supporting devices, and if there is a 20Gb cards one day, people will still want them..,,
4. How many photographers have their photos deleted/damaged by their microdrive?
Based on your opinion, i think a 256Mb card will actually be more than enough for most of us in our "normal" use.
But let just say, if the new Seagate 8Gb CF card (microdrive or not, I am not sure) has a buffer memory (say 32Mb) and cost less than $400, will we still NOT talk about it. This is the power of technology, anything is possible. The buffer memory will speed up the transfer to about the same, if not more than the other card technology. and the cost!
Please note that I have nothing to do with Seagate and i just want to kopitiam-talk with the friends here.....
agreed. actually, I was using 256 MB card before switching to 1 GB card.

However, in a get together event, more or less, it is snap shots, a 1 GB card is more than enough. Actually, witha 256 MB card, you can probably shoot over 90 frames, probably enough already.

For event shoots, maybe a 4 GB is a bit more convienent, but than, the risk of loosing 400 images is rather painful.

Perhaps, I should be a bit more precise with my original comment/observation, that for most amateurs and most of the photographers I run into, 100+ images per card, I believe is more than sufficient.

Just my opinion and observation. BTW, for those who have shot with me, they have seen me changing cards, I change cards very fast :)

Deadpoet said:
For event shoots, maybe a 4 GB is a bit more convienent, but than, the risk of loosing 400 images is rather painful.
maybe for microdrive you can worried, but for normal CF i think should be ok, so far my 4gb is never loose an image after i upgraded from 2gb 80X. Now i have no worries when i shoot raw, plenty of space.
(the 4gb is not the Lex** brand.)

I have my personal reservations against high capacity CFs.

Currently, using 2x 512MB CF. 1 fills up, in goes another. I'd rather lose just 150 JPEGs (or 56 RAWs) than over 1,000 JPEGs at a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.