85mm -Prime or Macro

kelstorm75

May 11, 2004
Hi,

Am thinking of getting the above mentioned lens but thinking whether to get a 85mm F1.8 or 85mm Macro (can double as macro lens) to shoot portraits?

Anybody who had the above mentioned lens, pls advise. thanks.

which 85mm macro ? are you referring to nikon's PCE/PC 85mm micro ?

ryan

sorry, i was referring to this

AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR

It would be too sharp for portrait (all facial blemishes will be fully revealed). Plus the bokeh will be different since Micro lense has smaller aperture. The bigger the aperture, eg f/2, f/1.4 f/1.8... the creamier the bokeh. I'm speaking from similar experience since I've used my AF-S 60mm for some simple portraiture shoots before.

Edit: lastly, if you're using a crop body, the normal f/1.4 or f/1.8 85mm will not be 85mm...u need to apply 1.5 crop factor. So both lenses do not equal the same focal length on the same body.

Last edited:
It would be too sharp for portrait (all facial blemishes will be fully revealed). Plus the bokeh will be different since Micro lense has smaller aperture. The bigger the aperture, eg f/2, f/1.4 f/1.8... the creamier the bokeh. I'm speaking from similar experience since I've used my AF-S 60mm for some simple portraiture shoots before.

ic, tks for sharing... speed of focusing will be slower for macro i presume?

i oso noticed that Nikon is coming out wif DX 85mm F1.4G. Assuming both is same price (not sure will that happen or not), for a D90 user, which will one recommend, DX 85mm F1.4G or 85mm F1.8D

ic, tks for sharing... speed of focusing will be slower for macro i presume?

i oso noticed that Nikon is coming out wif DX 85mm F1.4G. Assuming both is same price (not sure will that happen or not), for a D90 user, which will one recommend, DX 85mm F1.4G or 85mm F1.8D

Are you sure you're seeing correctly?? That is a FF lens, btw.. and price wise - roughly equal to a D700.

Macro? The AF-S 60mm I'm having now is super fast - you don't even know it's focusing when you try shoot something! Not sure about Micro 85mm maybe just as fast (or not)...

Are you sure you're seeing correctly?? That is a FF lens, btw.. and price wise - roughly equal to a D700.

opps.. i guess i must hv seen wrongly then.. tks anyway, Kriegsketten... at least i know where my wallet league is compared to the price of lens.. wahahha:bsmilie: