85mm f1.4 Nikkor or Zeiss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixtli

Jan 17, 2005
currently homeless
hi all,

in the midst of deciding which to get for my Nikon fm2

be really helpful if someone could list the pros and cons for the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AI-s versus the Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ZF Lens

Azz

Both are top-rated lenses, with the Nikkor possibly being slightly warmer.

I would say go for the Nikkor simply because it also offers top-performance at less than half the price of the Cosina variant.

the price difference kinda puzzles me a little

there must be something that set the 2 lenses apart

technical aspects?
any input?

One offers AF, the other is manual focus...

Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AI-s is also manual lens.

Each has their color tone particular to the name itself. I have tried the Nikkor lens and now I'm going for the CZ lens.

Samyang has a good one too,... and it is worth looking it up. A whole lot cheaper than the other 2. IQ,... I think it is arguably unnoticeable compared to the two.

cheers for the replies

is there anything else that i need to know about these lenses?

i'm still quite torn between the two

Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AI-s is also manual lens.

Each has their color tone particular to the name itself. I have tried the Nikkor lens and now I'm going for the CZ lens.

tell me how it works out for you!

tell me how it works out for you!

Well, i read about this and it got me seriously into thinking of moving to CZ.
http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Contax_85N.html

As this is for Canon, so it does not apply directly to your case.

In the review, the planar was put against CANON 85mm L F1.2 II not interms of sharpness but rather in coloring and contrast curves which also gives the 3D effect. I'm not sure about the comparision between Nikkor and Zeiss 85mm f1.4 but for me, it's one big reason for me to get one.

Last edited:
One more reason for me is that there's autofocus. Just imagine an autofocus CZ lens. That's cool;)

TS asked about the old manual focus AI-S Nikkor and not the AF version.

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...I-S+reviews&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=e8d6ef47431c6a4a

Price difference?

One is old and discontinued. Film era. Lower perceived value and marketability but still produces dazzling results or so I've heard. Typical used price for a good condition piece should be around S$600 - $800.

One is new, hot-shot series that is the result or merging a legendary name with a respected and capable Japanese manufacturer, probably using slightly updated variations of established optical designs, priced to be perceived as valuable and desirable.

thanks for all the information
pretty much know what i want now

Azz

Yo, another contender of sorts is the Samyang 85mm f1.4 haha :p
Manual Focus, and most reviews rate it as sharp at f1.4.
It is sold under other brands such as Rokinon/Opteka/Vivitar/etc...
Around $450, gotta ship it into SG though...

Regards,
gibss.

One more reason for me is that there's autofocus. Just imagine an autofocus CZ lens. That's cool;)

Well, you can have that on the Alpha platform. ;)

If it's AIS then the zeiss is better.
If it's AF, then no question, just get nikkor for AF convenience.

Zero Divine is referring to autofocus on the Nikkor AF 85mm f1.4D on cameras with autofocus ability.. but since ur using fm2 slr i guess ur fine with either choice. CZ is shinier and prettier, while a used 85mm f1.4 AIS will look rugged (and alot cheaper). Why not save the money and buy better film? hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.