85mm f/1.8 or 70-200mm f/4L??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Apr 14, 2003
Sengkang
I love to shoot portraits and also puppies and dogs at Pets carnivals. So I wonder which of the above lengths are suitalbe for me? I like the bokeh of 85mm but also the useful range of 70-200mm.... :dunno:

I am inclined towards 85mm cos if I am using a DSLR, the focal length will become 135mm f/1.8!, which gives me more reach when I am at those carnivals. (Anyone did a comparison of 85mm f/1.8 on a DSLR vs a 135mm f/1.8 on a film slr??)

Can anyone enlightens me??

i second the 85 prime, unless you are a zoom addict.

You are using a DSLR with 1.6x crop factor or not in the first place? 70-200 mainly used at tele end imo. So it is more of reach or bokeh.

85mm f1.8: Fast lens, fixed focal length, sharp. Excellent for portraits.

70-200 f4L: Telezoom. Sharp.

For dog carnivals, you will be moving about. Dogs will be at various distances. Unless you are capturing them stationary or know the action occurs more or less at a certain place.

I think the 70-200 would be more useful at framing in this case.
;)

The best one IMHO and from my own experience is the IS version of the 70-200. But in the two that you chose, I would say do determine which one you would be using more. If you shoot doggies more, then go for the 70-200. However, if you do portraits more, go for the 85mm.

That is the basic things that I go by before I buy any lenses. :D

Oh, yes, one more thing: dogs react to USM. They can hear it. i've not had much success trying to shoot dogs 'minding their own business' with USM lenses - they always react, either looking up or (more usually) turning away.

Might want to consider a non-USM lens, like the Tamron 90/2.8 macro, or a non-USM Canon lens.

ST1100 said:
Oh, yes, one more thing: dogs react to USM. They can hear it. i've not had much success trying to shoot dogs 'minding their own business' with USM lenses - they always react, either looking up or (more usually) turning away.

Might want to consider a non-USM lens, like the Tamron 90/2.8 macro, or a non-USM Canon lens.

that's interesting !!!

didn't know that !

hmm
i dunno if it's just me, but i feel that a 70-200 on a DSLR is already very long at the 70 end... for 85.. well.. really a little longer.. somehow i feel that at these lengths one will seem to lose communication with a model... however yeah i guess it's all up to individual preference.

if you ask me
get the 85... better bokeh if that's what you're looking for, sharp coz it's really a very good prime lens. it's on my wishlist !

i do have a 70-200... versatile for stage photography.

theITguy said:
You are using a DSLR with 1.6x crop factor or not in the first place? 70-200 mainly used at tele end imo. So it is more of reach or bokeh.

Me still using a film EOS5 with Tamron 28-75, but I am thinking... No! I mean will be upgrading to DSLR by year end. So I am thinking ahead which will be a better lens to invest in now.... Got some money to spare at the moment for a len but Bokeh vs Zoom still rings in my head... :dunno:

you already have a 28-75 f/2.8 which is a sharp lens and pretty close to the 85mm f/1.8 at max zoom. the 70-200 F4L would be a much better choice in my opinion.

70-200 f4L... u'll be amazed by this lens too... once u see the qualities that this lens has... u'll want to superglue this lens to ur cam if possible... hehe... jk about the superglue though! :gbounce:

mpenza said:
you already have a 28-75 f/2.8 which is a sharp lens and pretty close to the 85mm f/1.8 at max zoom. the 70-200 F4L would be a much better choice in my opinion.

Gosh, so many CSnapper reccomend the f/4 lens!

Get the 70-200mm. More versatile for your kind of usage. 70-200 can get pretty good bokeh too....

decided on getting the 70-200mm f/4 unless an 85mm is on sale at a stunning price!! :bigeyes:

Bought the 70-200mm f/4 liao!!!
Thanks for all the opinions!!!

majere2sg said:
Saw a used one selling for $1050. Not sure if he bought tht.. :p

Yap! THAT lens you saw belongs to me liao!! :bsmilie:
I got it for 1k though...

congrats.

you'll be happy with your purchase.

actually, you'll be happy with your purchase be it the 85mm or 70-200. both are good in their own rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.