85mm 1.2f

wedoodle

Apr 13, 2011
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Is it worth e extra cash compares to 85mm 1.8f?

Im more to street photography.

Any buddies care to share their experiences on these 2 lens?

It's big and heavy. Not sure you'll really see any benefit. Most street photogs I know use a simple 18-250 or 70-300.

If you usually stop down to f/2.8 or so for extra DoF, etc, no real point.

Ya, true. Its heavy n big. Initially im looking at 50mm 1.4f, but kinda of waste $$ since im holding 18-55mm n 18-270mm.

so i thinking of having a 85mm, a prime lens for street photography.

Nt to mention that im using a 600d body.

The f1.8 focuses faster than the 1.2. For streets shooting u probably will not be using 1.2 most of the time. If are already in this dilemma over costs, the 1.2 is probably hard to justify for the exponential jump.

But the wide open rendition of of areas for 1.2 is lovely, I use it for landscapes as well.

As always, worth it or not is always a personal preference.

Ryan

For street you might not want to lose the moment just because the lens takes too long to focus. I would opt for f1.8 but u know what? I got sigma f1.4 and tried on streets it is a good lens that balances IQ and af speed well for less than half the price of f1.2

the slow focusing speed on the 85L might be bad for streets, as you could potentially miss some candid moments.
Also I doubt you will shoot much of street photography using f/1.2?

The 85 1.8 would be a good choice and the focusing is very fast
The price jump between the 85 1.8 and 85L is very large. unless you can justify it. Stick with the 85 1.8
It's definitely worth the price difference if you shoot alot at f/1.2-f/1.8
Don't get it just for the L status.

you mentioned that it's waste of $$ to get the 50 1.4 as it overlaps your current setup?
doesn't a 85 overlaps too?

Last edited:
If you have 85mm f1.8, stick with it.:)
If you need a longer reach and a cheap option is the 135mm f/2.;p;p
Quite good for street especially on crop bodies.

Last edited:
this lenses are good for portraits close up shoots. why not consider the 18-200 is of canon
so that you will not change lenses anymore.

this lenses are good for portraits close up shoots. why not consider the 18-200 is of canon
so that you will not change lenses anymore.

Why would you buy a DSLR (which allows you to swap lenses, presumably so you can attach the best one for the required shot) and then try hard to buy a lens so that "you will not change lenses anymore" ?

Why would you buy a DSLR (which allows you to swap lenses, presumably so you can attach the best one for the required shot) and then try hard to buy a lens so that "you will not change lenses anymore" ?

Totally agree. If changing lens is annoying for you, just buy a smaller camera like Panasonic LX5, Canon S95 will do. No need to change lens.

Thanks guys. Think i will go with 85 1.8f.

Actually my 18-270 served as my primary lens now. But i kinda of lazy of e zooming part, so i decided to get 85mm as my walk about lens n for fast actions (=

Using a 85mm f/1.2 for street, I don't use the AF (5D is slow) but instead pre-focus, or shoot using manual focus instead.

Now I mainly use a 24mm for street though, going up close to shoot.

Ya, true. Its heavy n big. Initially im looking at 50mm 1.4f, but kinda of waste $$ since im holding 18-55mm n 18-270mm.

so i thinking of having a 85mm, a prime lens for street photography.

Nt to mention that im using a 600d body.

I shoot street on a 21mm F2.8 lens with scale/zone focusing, easily beats the fastest AF you have in production.........

Tele just makes you an observer on the street, not a participant.

Last edited:
its big, heavy, and slow.
better stick with your 85 1.8 or you can get 135L instead of 85L

Better go for 135 f2L for street photography. Or the excellent 70-200 f2.8II for flexibility.

the 18-200 lens almost cover everything. that's why i suggest he get it... yes your right you can attach the best lens for the required shot but street photography is not portrait photography you can not ask the subject to do again the shot you want him to do. we talk of secs just a snap you need to get the action. using the 18-200 you will not get any problem of moving backward or moving forward... dont get my suggest in the wrong way sir... i know you know what i mean when i suggest he get the 18-200.

@ kentwong81.... dslr and small camera are not the same. i did not say changing lens is annoying for me..

Telephoto for street photography.. guess u want to invite unnecessary stares.

85 1.2 isn't speedy enough in the focusing part for street use, i'd recommend Sigma's 85 instead

otherwise the 85 1.8 will be good enough, getting a telephoto zoom will be more versatile though

Kiwira said:
85 1.2 isn't speedy enough in the focusing part for street use, i'd recommend Sigma's 85 instead

otherwise the 85 1.8 will be good enough, getting a telephoto zoom will be more versatile though

Second that. I find the sigma 85 focusing is good...even on a 5d2 body