828 built in flas too harsh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorise

Dec 18, 2003
Anyone feels that the flash is too harsh and bright for normal photo taking like in a cafe with ur frens etc?

I tried using a matt surfaced pvc to cover the flash unit but it doesn't cut the harshness but it just shortens the range of the flash, not diffusing the light.

Any suggestions?

i guess there is really nothing much you can do, since you can't bounce the light or something. even lowering your flash power dun think will have much effects.

Either you could use the low setting for the built in flash, or try covering it with a tissue paper or white hankerchief. Think it does help diffuse a little but limited effect.

Are you referring to the preview on the LCD? My experience is that you have to lower the brightness of the LCD, because the photos look overexposed onscreen, but after you upload to your PC, it should look ok.

Another reason is that the flash output is dependent on the focusing distance. So if you focus the person furthest away, then the closest person would be overexposed. The exposure metering also plays are strong part. If your subjects wear black, then F828 will hit with a stronger flash thinking that the image is dark.

Finally, you may want to reduce the exposure value manually for close-up flash photography.

Last hint: if you want the cafe background to be correctly exposed, you have to use slow-sync flash mode.

one more ... buy external flash, then you can see a BIG JUMP !!! :D :D

There was once a post about sticking a small piece of white photo paper under the flash to make it bounce. Don't know if the post is still around.

trevorise said:
Anyone feels that the flash is too harsh and bright for normal photo taking like in a cafe with ur frens etc?

I tried using a matt surfaced pvc to cover the flash unit but it doesn't cut the harshness but it just shortens the range of the flash, not diffusing the light.

Any suggestions?

How about if you change the light mode to SL.

thanks for all the cool replies..
okie..tissue paper? hmm..i've even tried 70gm white printing paper..and i'm wowed by the power of our flaw jewel's flash!! And ya..i tried..it doesn't look as harsh on computer as on LCD..

SL flash mode is slightly better..

yes they are too harsh if u are shooting close distance. i've found the simple solution - stand further back and zoom in instead of closeup at wide-angle setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.