828 Auto ISO does not work in S,A and M modes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaGr

Apr 2, 2002
www.sc-speedracer.com
I noticed that if I set to ISO Auto and shoot in one of those 3 modes, all the photos came out with ISO 64.

So I did an experiement. With the Lens cap closed, flash off. I shot in S and M mode with a fast shutter speed. The images came out black as expected but ISO was always at 64 when I reviewed the images. 'A' mode was hard to test as the camera would simply have slowed down the shutter speed to compensate.

I thought with Auto ISO and the manual settings, if the exposure was still not correct the camera should have adjusted to a higher ISO value. Is this how the camera is supposed to function? or is there a defective firmware. The manual does not state that ISO will be fixed at 64 if in Auto ISO for the manual modes.

Why not you choose an ISO setting, I think that would be great.

The shutter speed, aperture and ISO are inter-related. For S and A to be usable, you need to fix two of the values (for shutter priority, it's shutter speed and ISO. The aperture varies in response to what the camera sees). M modes is when you want to fix the exposure and when you use it, you won't want the camera to overwrite it be changing the ISO!

If the manual is any good, it'll document what happens when you select auto ISO for these 3 modes.

In auto mode, the ISO varies from 64~200 depend on the light condition, in S, A, M mode the ISO is set by your camera setting, shutter and aperture adjust accordingly

I believe that Sony engineers deliberately favour ISO 64 when at AUTO mode in an effort to reduce sensor noise. Personally i find that noise on the 828 is alright up to ISO 200. AT ISO 400 u probably need Noise Ninja, Neta Image etc.... and don't even bother to use ISO 800 unless you are desperate :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.