800mm Mirror Zoom Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

caloyski

Jul 30, 2008
Hello,

I have seen a mirror reflex lens on ebay that caught my attention. it was said to be a light weight zoom lens . It would be very helpful if somebody would be kind enough to share info about this kind of lens. has anybody used this kind of lens before?

The link below is where I found the lens when I was browsing lenses on ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/800mm-Mirror...ewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122#ebayphotohosting

Sharing your information about the lens will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

it's not a ZOOM lens ... it's a FIXED focal length [like prime lenses] , super telephoto lens ...

i.e. it's always at 800mm, no more, no less ... (can't zoom in and out)

fixed aperture at F/8.0

manual focus ...

i think someone mentioned something abt the bokeh not being very pretty either ...

for more info ... try googling ..

Hello,

I have seen a mirror reflex lens on ebay that caught my attention. it was said to be a light weight zoom lens . It would be very helpful if somebody would be kind enough to share info about this kind of lens. has anybody used this kind of lens before?

The link below is where I found the lens when I was browsing lenses on ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/800mm-Mirror...ewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122#ebayphotohosting

Sharing your information about the lens will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

yep. it's not a zoom but a prime lens. since it is a constant f8, u are pretty much stuck using it in good lighting conditions.

at an earlier nikon outing this year, i met a CSer using one of these (nikon version). IIRC, the bokeh is 'donut' shaped... hard to describe it, u have to see it for urself to understand. dat CSer's mirror lens is pretty sharp tho.

yep. it's not a zoom but a prime lens. since it is a constant f8, u are pretty much stuck using it in good lighting conditions.

at an earlier nikon outing this year, i met a CSer using one of these (nikon version). IIRC, the bokeh is 'donut' shaped... hard to describe it, u have to see it for urself to understand. dat CSer's mirror lens is pretty sharp tho.

Mmmm. But a F8 should not have that much of a bokeh eh?

Check out my thread: Moon @ 2200mm

I have an MC Rubinar 10/1000mm Macro.

The only thing going for it is that it's cheap, and as far as equipment goes, you do get what you pay for. It's manual focus with small maximum aperture, so it will be quite a challenge to use without a tripod even under optimal lighting conditions (e.g. bright daylight), especially if your DSLR does not have body-integral stabilisation. So really it's quite an impractical and cumbersome lens to use.

However, if you do have the time to set up your shot, it does provide opportunities for fun shots like the moon, distant landscapes, etc. Just don't expect Nat.Geo standard of images.

For me personally, the main reason why I bought the lens is because it just looks damn cool to have such a fat piece mounted to the front of the cam. :D

Thanks everybody for the information. I am now thinkin' twice if i should be getting the mentioned lens. The responses I got from you all are really heartfelt. Its a good feeling to know that there are still good people who are reachin' out for help and support. thanks again everybody. happy shooting to us all...:D

the coating is important if you want to shoot colored objects like birds etc., else expect poor contrast/saturation and subjects lined with some CA

Status
Not open for further replies.