$800/chair for Changi New Terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yappy

May 30, 2004
MM visited the new terminal and was told that one chairs cost $800, the colour of the chair will not fade for XX years.. the chair will last XX years etc...

Just a comparision. the average monthly salary of a cleanrer's salary is about $700.

MM visited the new terminal and was told that one chairs cost $800, the colour of the chair will not fade for XX years.. the chair will last XX years etc...

Just a comparision. the average monthly salary of a cleanrer's salary is about $700.

Well I'm not surprised. Initial upfront payment maybe be high but long term upkeep costs are lower. If you have a chance, stop by at KLIA's Satelite Terminal and look how worn out the seats in the general areas are. Not even 10 years. The airport is the first glimpse of tourists when the arrive in Singapore. First impression is important. What will they think if they arrive in Changi and see tattered seats and worn out carpets in the world's #1 international airport?

let me put forth to you a very common argument that was also put forth in one of terry pratchett's books

it was with regards to boots, a soldier was reflecting on the fact that he could not afford expensive and well-made boots, which would say, cost about $300 for example
and would last a long long long time, say 5 years even with rough use
he could only afford very badly made and cheap boots, which would cost about $40, but would last 2 months

so you tell me, based on mathematics and the above situation, which may be a little out of point but i suppose the figures are not important, only the idea is -
which one is more worth it? =)

let me put forth to you a very common argument that was also put forth in one of terry pratchett's books

it was with regards to boots, a soldier was reflecting on the fact that he could not afford expensive and well-made boots, which would say, cost about $300 for example
and would last a long long long time, say 5 years even with rough use
he could only afford very badly made and cheap boots, which would cost about $40, but would last 2 months

so you tell me, based on mathematics and the above situation, which may be a little out of point but i suppose the figures are not important, only the idea is -
which one is more worth it? =)

You're always up early! You must be one of those who need very little sleep :sweat:

Cherry QQ cost $30k, Mini Coopper cost almost $100k......both can travel from point A to point B, the premium for brand and quality is always there :thumbsup:

some cheaper chair can last as long also. But I think those designer "style" to bring up the image is the one that being costly :sweat:

actually, in long term it save more money

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Won't fade for xx years? Got lifetime warranty or not???

(Can the company last for xx years to guarantee or not ?)

Are the chairs open to public use?

i think in singapore, most chairs have their lifespan cut short by at least half.
Even those tough kopitiam plastic chairs won't last long by singapore's standards
Even if its a square block on concrete...probably kena sit until round. haaa

Either overused till disrepair or one fine day they disappear and kena replaced by something else silently overnight. :bsmilie:

I paid for close to $1k for one seater armchairs from Davinci and they just starts to peel off after 1-2 years..... throw one away after 1 year, the other throw away after 2 years.....

I think cheap synthetic ones will last much longer. price is not really a good determination how long something will last.

I paid for close to $1k for one seater armchairs from Davinci and they just starts to peel off after 1-2 years..... throw one away after 1 year, the other throw away after 2 years.....

I think cheap synthetic ones will last much longer. price is not really a good determination how long something will last.

Maybe a grey set..heheehe...... ;p. For me $1k, I put there and admire leh... :bsmilie:

Are the chairs open to public use?

i think in singapore, most chairs have their lifespan cut short by at least half.
Even those tough kopitiam plastic chairs won't last long by singapore's standards
Even if its a square block on concrete...probably kena sit until round. haaa

Either overused till disrepair or one fine day they disappear and kena replaced by something else silently overnight. :bsmilie:

Sit on the floor, the floor can last more than 1 century. :thumbsup:

Last time airport got lots of students sitting on the floor studying.

if 800 dollars a chair comes with 5 years complete cover warranty, monthly servicing etc.. i think it is worth.

Well, maybe someday someone can invent a totally portable, durable, and multiple-height adjustable $800 ladder for photographers. :bsmilie:

I wonder if those are Herman Miller chairs..
In the long run, it provides comfort to the employees who may have to work long and odd hours so I think they have the employees interest at heart. We can consider this a neccessary tool for their trade.

A cleaner does not need a chair to work.

The place I work in has Herman Miller chairs everybody right down to temps. They are great to sit in and definitely much better than the awful cushioned ones I had in the past. If the cost is high, but comfortable, then why not? But if the chairs can last XX years because no one wants to sit in them, then it's a waste of money.

Sit on the floor, the floor can last more than 1 century. :thumbsup:

Last time airport got lots of students sitting on the floor studying.

LOL!!
the museum once had this big wooden piece of board where you can lie down and watch the screening, its pretty comfortable and relaxing, they should bring it to the airport and use. nv been to the museum lately so not sure if its still in use there ;)

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Won't fade for xx years? Got lifetime warranty or not???

(Can the company last for xx years to guarantee or not ?)

5 years to retain the colour and 7 years for the chair to last as claimed by the staff answering MM.

I don't know whether the manufacturer guarantee these claims.

Thanks

Well I'm not surprised. Initial upfront payment maybe be high but long term upkeep costs are lower. If you have a chance, stop by at KLIA's Satelite Terminal and look how worn out the seats in the general areas are. Not even 10 years. The airport is the first glimpse of tourists when the arrive in Singapore. First impression is important. What will they think if they arrive in Changi and see tattered seats and worn out carpets in the world's #1 international airport?

Not surprise that you use Apple product... I may be wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.