80-400 Vr

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvin

Jan 11, 2005
Hi all,

Just switched to the Nikon and was looking to get a zoom lens to do some amatuer "bird" shooting.

Could I get some comments from the pros and experts on whether the 80-400 is a good lens to get?

I have also considered the Sigma 50-500.

One has VR and the other has HSM - which would you advise?

Or are there others that I have overlooked?

My max budget is in the low 2K region......

Appreciate your insights....

2K?

AF-S 300 f/4 + 1.7x TC.

I m not an avid bird photography person myself ... but from the little experience and experimental shoots that I have done recently ... i think the 80-400 will fall a bit short for what you want to do.

I would suggest you get the 50-500 + a 1.4TC ... but watch the weight of that whole setup ....

RGDs

Long Thai Bean said:
I m not an avid bird photography person myself ... but from the little experience and experimental shoots that I have done recently ... i think the 80-400 will fall a bit short for what you want to do.

I would suggest you get the 50-500 + a 1.4TC ... but watch the weight of that whole setup ....

RGDs
Urm... 50-500 don't think can stack another 1.4, at 500mm, it's already f/6.3, 1.4 will make it very hard to focus.

laforge said:
You have to go into manual focus then :p

With some tape trick, it can AF with the TC1.4.
But it will be at f9, need good day light.

AFS 300 F4 with TC 1.7 is a good choice. but i don't know what is the cost... and get nikon. ;p

Good combi = afs300 f4 + TC1.7
CP - 300f4 = 1880
TCW - 300f4 = 1700
TK - TC1.7 = 550
can check thread on nikon price guide started by Cactus jACK

400mm not enough, 500mm just enough, and stack with a 1.4TC must manual focus
unless to do the tape trick as don mentioned, focusing is not that bad.

I shot the moon with a 50-500 +1.4TC hand held, still come out OK

thx for all the advice...

just wondering, if I do get the 50-500, is there a compatibility problem if I get a Nikon TC or should I use the Sigma TC?

sigma tc has a prob of not being compatible. you will be better off with a Nikkor 300/4 and a 1.7TC

my recommendations. if you wish to go birding. you can try sigma primes. but you will have to test a few sets to get a sharp copy. thats provided u wan lenes like 500 f/4.5 and 800 f/5.6. Sigma zooms, those that are sharp lens by nature are the 120-300 f/2.8 and 300-800. other than that... very hard to bird.

however for a sub 2k recommendation. i would seriously recommend you go for a AFS 300 f/4 plus a 1.7X tc.

results are acceptable. and u get a 500++mm on a f/5.6 which is quite reasonable. the other time i tested this combo. the minimum focusing distance is one thing that drove me nuts because the bird went too in the range. so yah..

it has a bulit in hood too.. classic design.. hahas...

birding is all about the biggest glasses.and the longest reach. so why not save up for the ultimate glass ?? ;)

ortega said:
you can also learn to leopard crawl :)

true true... but i am big in size. i wore full camo before. long 4. camo nets and practically sniper suit improvised already. lens fully out of sight.

crawled in, and the bird must be thinking how come this big bunch of grass is moving at such a speed. and i was crawling slowly for 45mins. almost cramping up liao. DEN tthe bird's ultimate move..

it flew away... :faint:

tats why i emphasize to get a big glass and shoot from far and snipe from far lo.. :thumbsup:

but now you have a good story to tell haha :)

best is to wait in a hide

anyone tried the digiscopes? How is the quality?
I am looking to do birding on a budget

ortega said:
but now you have a good story to tell haha :)

best is to wait in a hide

anyone tried the digiscopes? How is the quality?
I am looking to do birding on a budget

story... gosh. u took that as a story... next time i should post the picture of myself already...

digiscope setups are possible. u get the reach. but not the quality. tats all. colours are a little washed out.. seen some samples on the net before.. they have good reach, they can capture the bird. but the sharpness and colours are not what you wanna print out.

I had the same Question before, and I bought the AFS 300 F4 + TC-17EII one year ago, this combination gives me effectively about 765 mm F7.1 telephone lens, and I bought it from Hong Kong, as Singpore Nikon does not carry this model, I think it is selling at HK$7000 (abt S$1.52K) in ManShing/WingShing @ MongKok, it should come with 1 yr international warrenty. Grey set could be about 10% cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.