7th Month Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

catmanzecatz

Any interested? :p Should be fun. But first of all must find a place that has this. Any near your home?

Originally posted by catmanzecatz
Any interested? :p Should be fun. But first of all must find a place that has this. Any near your home?

Well, i'm all for it. :)

But do you want the want with song and dance, or do you want the one with the "wayang"/chinese opera?

:D

I mean the ceremony before the actual start of the whole event :p till the end ;P should be colourful... this includes the candles, super big joss sticks and stage lights ;P

I'm interested too. :D

On the first day of the seventh month, I was at Chinatown and big and small altars (correct word to use?) were set up, mainly by shopkeepers.

In particular, there were three rather young-looking chaps burning joss sticks and incense paper outside their shop. I found the scene quite interesting, given that youngsters these days are rather detached from such traditional rituals. Wanted to use my 300mm to take a shot, but was pretty afraid of being discovered ... If they were to run after me, I doubt I can outrun them! :what:

Originally posted by nEkOgOtCh
Ay we go together lah... then can beat them in numbers ;P How? Chinatown still have? I am really excited abt it liao ;P

Hi nEkOgOtCh,

Sure, but I do not think we will be able to catch them in 'action' every day. Just to note, it wasn't anything particularly spectacular that day - more like individual or group (as in management and tenants of a shopping centre) offerings to 'hao xiong di'.

I'm really lost when it comes to traditions like this, so...

Perhaps the dialect clans and zhong yuan jie associations may have something on a bigger scale on the 15th or the end of the month? Anyone?

There used to be qi yue ge tai organised yearly at the empty field beside my block, but that was years ago ... the land has been bought by property developer and 80% of the units were sold. :cry: No more green view for me - but, err, i digress. :p

Originally posted by Pandora

There used to be qi yue ge tai organised yearly at the empty field beside my block, but that was years ago ... the land has been bought by property developer and 80% of the units were sold. :cry: No more green view for me - but, err, i digress. :p

Actually, there's one major praying session coming up next week, wed, thur. and fri. In Boon Lay, however, i'm not sure what we can get there..... Wed and thur. praying session is organised by the dialect association located in Boon Lay, and Friday itself is the 15th of lunar month..... so there will be major praying for each chinese household..... if you guys and gals are interested..... let's organise a 7th month shooting outing....

Originally posted by Almond

Actually, there's one major praying session coming up next week, wed, thur. and fri. In Boon Lay, however, i'm not sure what we can get there..... Wed and thur. praying session is organised by the dialect association located in Boon Lay, and Friday itself is the 15th of lunar month..... so there will be major praying for each chinese household..... if you guys and gals are interested..... let's organise a 7th month shooting outing....

On! Who is game for this event? :p

Interested shooter:
==============
1. nEkOgOtCh

Originally posted by Almond

praying session is organised by the dialect association located in Boon Lay, and Friday itself is the 15th of lunar month..... so there will be major praying for each chinese household.....

Wah, Boon Lay is so far away from my workplace! What time will you guys be meeting? Not sure when I can leave the office too ... nevertheless, I put my thumb print on the list below for the time being:

Interested shooter:
==============
1. nEkOgOtCh
2. Pandora
3. Almond?

Oh, I have a query in mind.

Would it seem rude to be shooting such events? Afterall, most people participating would take it seriously and will they be offended and disrespectful if we take photographs of them?

Would it seem rude to be shooting such events? Afterall, most people participating would take it seriously and will they be offended and disrespectful if we take photographs of them?

Well, it all depends on how we approach the organisers and what kind of a "cover" we give them, like a school project or such... not that i encourage lying.. but creative emblishment of the truth helps. ;)

the key is not to approach the same group together....

if 5-6 photographers all appear out of nowhere to shoot the same scene, it would seeem very rude....

we can meet up and all, but i think during actual shooting we should pretend we don't know each other...

Originally posted by Wolfgang

Well, it all depends on how we approach the organisers and what kind of a "cover" we give them, like a school project or such... not that i encourage lying.. but creative emblishment of the truth helps. ;)

Quite similar to my friend's advice. She did a project on Chinese wayang troupes in Singapore when she was in the varsity and she suggested that I can talk to the ban1 zhu2 and *ahem* say that I'm doing a project for school term paper.

But apparently the ban1 zhu2s knew her lecturer personally ... so, the moral of the story is to lie intelligently if we have to. ;)

Originally posted by Red Dawn

we can meet up and all, but i think during actual shooting we should pretend we don't know each other...

Wouldn't it be strange for a handful of photographers to be lurking in the same area too?

Well, it all depends on what we want to take. If it's the wayang, then it should be ok.. and a group of us, say no more than 7 should be ok.

As for tha auction, i guess it would be quite intrusive if we start snapping away, expecially if there are alot of tables.

Guys, remember, this is the seventh month. There are do's and don's.

Do's

1) Shoot wayang opera, no problem-mo. They would be very happy since your action can help them to promote the tradition.

Don's

1) Shoot auction. Not a good idea. They tatoo and "angkong" guy running the auction might not be very happy.

2) Shoot Praying and burning joss stick and incense paper. Big no no. You do not know "WHAT:rbounce: " is around. The "What" might not like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.