7D with or without kit lens?

citrus Ice

Aug 18, 2010
Hi guys,

need advise. intend to get Canon 7D but dont know whether to get with or without kit lens.

scenario is this: most of the time (60% at least), i go shooting with my girlfriend. at the moment, using a 500D with 18-200mm kit lens, 50mm/f1.4 sigma prime, 10-22mm UWA. the other camera used is a Canon G7.
since we are beginners, we are trying different stuff of shoot from nature, buildings, fireworks, people etc.
Problem now is both of us love to hog the DSLR! so decided to get another DSLR to prevent any frustrations. :bsmilie:
so do you think the lens i have now sufficient? cuz i was thinking there's only 1 "general" lens (18-200mm) for 2 cam. if so, which of the kit lens should i go for? or should i get another lens not part of the kit offering? like 1 for sports photography?
appreciate your advise;p

Last edited:
Hi guys,

need advise. intend to get Canon 7D but dont know whether to get with or without kit lens.

scenario is this: most of the time (60% at least), i go shooting with my girlfriend. at the moment, using a 500D with 18-200mm kit lens, 50mm/f1.4 sigma prime, 10-22mm UWA. the other camera used is a Canon G7.
since we are beginners, we are trying different stuff of shoot from nature, buildings, fireworks, people etc.
Problem now is both of us love to hog the DSLR! so decided to get another DSLR to prevent any frustrations. :bsmilie:
so do you think the lens i have now sufficient? cuz i was thinking there's only 1 "general" lens (18-200mm) for 2 cam. if so, which of the kit lens should i go for? or should i get another lens not part of the kit offering? like 1 for sports photography?
appreciate your advise;p

Are you going to compete with your girlfriend? Not a wise idea :nono:

Just kidding, I don't think you need another kit lens. 2 cam with different focal length lenses will give you different point of views. You can gain more experience, and it's also more fun.:D

Hi guys,

appreciate your advise;p

Don't duplicate what you already have as both bodies can share the same set of lenses. With the 7D, go for better IQ lens like the 70-200, 35f1.4L, 100mmf2 or f2.8 macro. Also opt for a better walk about lens like the 17-55f2.8 or the Tamron 17-50f2.8.

If you're going out shooting together, you'll probably need a "general lens". cheaper option would be the kit lens. But judging from your spending pattern (I could be wrong) you can afford getting a better lens. I do agree a 17-50mm or 17-55mm is a good option. Suggest getting something fast.

sounds like u are rich rich~!!

if so then buy buy~!!

simple formula..

thanks for all the info, will have a closer look at the recommendations.

not rich lah, just not tight on budget. been eyeing on the 100mm macro for awhile now. so thats def on the list. been advised by someone to get the 100mm macro without the L; that the price diff doesnt justify it.

Just buy the body only. 7D kit lens would overlap what your 18-200mm can give you.
Actually you are quite well covered in terms of range already (10mm to 200mm) plus a prime 50mm for low light. Since your "problem" is both of you like to use dslr, just get another body and share the lenses. ;)

Hi guys,

appreciate your advise;p

in my opinion, you already have the lens coverage. unless you are looking to duplicate the lens coverage since you are going to get a second camera. the 18-200mm is very general and provides the flexibility to take anything you want.

however, if you are into sports photography, you can consider the 70-200L variants which are very popular and affordable amongst the telephoto ranges. :)

100mm macro non L would also be my recommendation if you are into macro although the above will still be a better contender for normal sports coverage esp if you dont have much room to move about.

p/s: you both have to learn to share else you all will still end up hogging the 7D and the new lens purchases! (unless you get 2 of everything :D )

just looked thru the Canon 17-55/ Tamron17-50. i think kena poison liao. now confused which to get: canon or tamron. if tamron, with or without VC. :bigeyes:

just looked thru the Canon 17-55/ Tamron17-50. i think kena poison liao. now confused which to get: canon or tamron. if tamron, with or without VC. :bigeyes:

see la... look here look there, in the end kana the buy buy buy..... so many people already fallen into that trap... hais.. :sweat::sweat:

If I am in your shoes, it's 7D with either

17-55mm 2.8; or
15-85mm.

The first for quality and speed, the second sacrifices speed for focal range flexibility. Both are general range which gives better quality than 18-200. I am assuming that the photographs you take are still in the "general" range. There are folks who use mostly ultra-wides or longer ranges. It's nice to venture and try out other lengths like 70-200 but don't regret if you find yourself struggling coz the lens is too long and you don't have one for general use.

Last edited:
read from thread that Sigma also came out with 17-50mm. so its down to this vs Canon's 17-55mm. cost i think is $1100 (sigma) vs $1600 (canon)

I think it will be good to have two street zooms (eg 17-50 and 24-70).

I think it will be good to have two street zooms (eg 17-50 and 24-70).

was looking in that direction too. but canon 24-70 IQ gd? Sigma17-50 IQ?

I would suggest getting the 7D with the 15-85 kit lens. :)

are you kidding?? "but canon 24-70 IQ gd?"

what do you think man... its not Bad if thats what you wanna hear...

I've read many user review saying tamron 17-50 non-VC is good. Please read more reviews before you buy though, coz I read for fun only. I'm also considering getting 2 street zooms if my gf get a camera also. Coz most of the time street zoom is the one being used.

Suppose you buy a UWA for landscape, you don't need two, that is where 17-50 can be used for one of the camera and the UWA for the other. Although the 17mm is not really UWA. My consideration was 17-50 can double as a backup when wider angle is needed so I won't need to get 2 UWAs, likewise I won't need to get 2 lens for each purpose since 24-70 can be used to zoom abit further than kit lens.

24-70 if i recall correctly is damn ex for canon. I think sigma dont have 17-50 if i not wrong. btw one canon 24-70 other than IQ, is about 2k plus. For half the price, you can get a tamron 17-50 and sigma 24-70. haha.

Just got the 7d & the 17-55mm! Was tempted with the 24-105 L f4(kit lens for 5dm2). But in the end settled for the 17-55. Thanx guys for all yr advise. Appreciate it! Happy shooting!

Just got the 7d & the 17-55mm! Was tempted with the 24-105 L f4(kit lens for 5dm2). But in the end settled for the 17-55. Thanx guys for all yr advise. Appreciate it! Happy shooting!

glad for you...

have fun.. that is a really good and easy to use combi... don't worry too much about reach and all.. you can always move.. getting stuck to the ground is a horrible thing for photographers..