7D with 15-85mm better than 24-105mmL?

josephlean84

Oct 18, 2007
hi which one is a better combination

It simply depends what you want to do.

Understand that the 7D is an APS-C camera.

As such, with a crop factor of 1.6, you'll get the actual focal length with the following lenses:

15 - 85 actual : crop factor included, it becomes 24 - 136

24 - 105 actual : crop factor included, it becomes 38.4 - 168

As such, your angle of view and perspective are all different.

So do you want wide angle or want reach? Or in between?

The 15-85 mm is a lens good enough for everyday jaunt with your 7D. If you are upgrading to a 5D, the 24-105 would be its near equivalent.

HTH.

Cheers!

Understand that the 7D is an APS-C camera.

As such, with a crop factor of 1.6, you'll get the actual focal length with the following lenses:

15 - 85 actual : crop factor included, it becomes 24 - 136

24 - 105 actual : crop factor included, it becomes 38.4 - 168

As such, your angle of view and perspective are all different.

So do you want wide angle or want reach? Or in between?

The 15-85 mm is a lens good enough for everyday jaunt with your 7D. If you are upgrading to a 5D, the 24-105 would be its near equivalent.

HTH.

Cheers!

24-105mm L on crop body not gd? I intend to pair with 550d.

24-105mm L on crop body not gd? I intend to pair with 550d.

Do you understand what he wrote? Where did he state "not good"? Please read again, google all unknown terms, search the forum and ask a specific question. "Good or not" is far form that.

Do you understand what he wrote? Where did he state "not good"? Please read again, google all unknown terms, search the forum and ask a specific question. "Good or not" is far form that.

Sorry I didn't mean tat. My friend told me nt gd. I jus wan to know more. He didn't tell me much as his inside camp

It all depends what type of photograph u wanna take, Landscape , portaits , or even Sports. Different type requires different lens.

Sorry I didn't mean tat. My friend told me nt gd. I jus wan to know more. He didn't tell me much as his inside camp

Ask him more specific. If your friend can't give a more specific answer then .. well.. his knowledge seems to be somewhat limited. Read the reviews, you can start here:
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos

In perspective, the multiplied focal length gives you a roughly the same focal length. But the f stop is wider, but i think the AF and sharpness of the 15-85 and 24-105 really very similar. Even though one not L lens, but it's sharpness is nearly L lens quality.

Ducky, a lens/camera is a tool. It's how you use the tool. You need to know what you're shooting for the lens to be good. Your friend needs to learn up a bit more before shooting his mouth off. FOw example, I can give you a 16-35L to pair with the 550D and i will say it's a bad lens for me since I need something in the 70mm range rather than wide for my normal street shooting.

If I tell you 550d not good and 5Dmk2 is good, will you sell your camera and buy the 5Dmk2? Goodness. :rolleyes:

Don't follow blindly. Know your camera and your shooting style. Then you will understand enough to know what is good or not good for you.

hi which one is a better combination

better in what sense?

1)which is better for travel?
2)which is better for sports?
3)which is better for walkaround?
4)which is better for people?
5)which is better for events?
6)which is better for landscape?

better in what sense?

1)which is better for travel?
2)which is better for sports?
3)which is better for walkaround?
4)which is better for people?
5)which is better for events?
6)which is better for landscape?

... better to bash people with, mafia-style? in that case the 24-105L probably wins, with its more rugged construction :bsmilie:

If I tell you 550d not good and 5Dmk2 is good, will you sell your camera and buy the 5Dmk2? Goodness. :rolleyes:

Don't follow blindly. Know your camera and your shooting style. Then you will understand enough to know what is good or not good for you.
too many people spouting unfounded "myths" based on their limited knowledge, confusing the poor newbies.

IMHO I think both no good, because I like ultra wide and i also like to zoom ..... and i also like macro, so my lens will be macro ,..... so it depends on yourself dear TS. This is like asking people what they like to eat ..... it have no bearing on what you like to eat...

If can only affort 1 lens and have to choose between them, my perference will be 15-85mm.

Without wide enough angle will have problem when in tight spot. Without the extra reach can still capture distance object and crop it. Of course quality will be sacrificed and perspective will be slightly different.

... better to bash people with, mafia-style? in that case the 24-105L probably wins, with its more rugged construction :bsmilie:

Haha..........I like the way you put it.:bsmilie:
one of the reason I change from 15-85 to 24-105. (more rugged construction:) not bash people with, mafia-style:nono:)

Last edited:

Well, there's no such thing as good or no good. It depends on what you shot. Your friend is somewhat right. I suppose you are a beginner, 24mm on a crop-sensor camera would be real tight (around 38.4mm). 38.4mm is really tight for landscape work and acceptable for perhaps walkabout or product shots. The 24-105 is definitely a better lens, in terms of its built and image quality.

Since you are still a beginner and has no idea what to shot (my assumption), I think you should not restrict yourself first.