7d or 50d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzal

Jul 24, 2008
Hi all,

I just sold off my 450D hoping to get an upgrade an comparing these 2 models . I still cant decide which is actually a better , i dont need 7D's HD video or its 8fps and most likely not gonna need the extra 3Megapixels as mostly shooting portraits and maybe sometimes landscape and will be printing the most 8R.My concerns is the quality or colors of the picture Which one would be a better one? I noe 5D families are out as its really out of my budget..

One more question , if i shoot both using...let say a Tammy 17-50mm , under same settings, will 7D produce better colors ?

Please excuse my noobieness guys!

Since you don't need those features, then get the 50D or even the 40D. Colors and IQ mainly dependent on lens used.

Alternatively, I'd suggest you sell the Tamron and get a 5D used with a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. I find that this lens is on par or even better than the Canon 24-105mm/24-70mm in terms of sharpness

No, the 7D will not produce better colors than a 40D or 50D. And even if there was a small difference, a simple tweak to the creative style used, or increasing saturation by a bit, would compensate for any difference. So since you don't need the video or the extra MP, don't pay for them. :)

as mostly shooting portraits and maybe sometimes landscape and will be printing the most 8R.My concerns is the quality or colors of the picture Which one would be a better one?

450D ---> 50D, honestly you wont see any difference significantly

Cartman2000 : was thinking of dat too...but 5d MK II seems like everybody dont wanna let it go...:p

Rashkae: That clears alot of doubts..

Thanks all for the inputs....50D , ure mine!! Haha

Cartman2000 : was thinking of dat too...but 5d MK II seems like everybody dont wanna let it go...:p

Rashkae: That clears alot of doubts..

Thanks all for the inputs....50D , ure mine!! Haha

I was referring to 5D, not 5D2. 5D can be purchased for 1.8k or thereabouts

Chalib & gazkw: Bros then what do u recommend? 5D ?

Wow now looks like im back to square 1...I'm abit reluctant to get a used 5d though , i feel that this camera most likely will be well used and will need to send for servicing...and afraid tat it will have some hiccups here and there in future... Anyway thats juz my tot...

Wow now looks like im back to square 1...I'm abit reluctant to get a used 5d though , i feel that this camera most likely will be well used and will need to send for servicing...and afraid tat it will have some hiccups here and there in future... Anyway thats juz my tot...

1.8k will get you a 5D in decent condition. Even if you buy a new set, there is no guarantee that some issue won't crop up the following day. Besides, the 5D has proven itself to be a rather reliable camera.

1.8k will get you a 5D in decent condition. Even if you buy a new set, there is no guarantee that some issue won't crop up the following day. Besides, the 5D has proven itself to be a rather reliable camera.

Except for the mirror falling out of some. ;)

Except for the mirror falling out of some. ;)

Well, the mirror is bonded with the use of 4 drops of glue in the case of the 5D. 5D2 uses 6 drops...:bsmilie:

I tried 40D for a few week before I purchase 7D.

I think it is a big diff in term of built, spec.

I did not regret getting 7D but I missed Olympus E3 interface

egnaro : Care to elaborate more on what u meant built and specs?

There arent many reviews on the usage of the 7D though, so i was hoping to get those who already had a hands on....

I must say at the back of my mind 5D is still wat i want though.. A big investment for a small time photographer like me...

I think an upgrade from the xxxD to xxD does have some significant improvement in general. The built, handling, iso mangement, LCD, micro adjust, digic 4, fps, AF and many more. The 450D serves it's purpose well as an entry level camera but when one knows how their gears might be limiting them, the xxD fits better for a decent upgrade.

Of course choosing between 7D n 50D also boils down to $$. Go down to vivo and try them too.

You need time and patience to get 2nd hand good conditions 5D from B&S

Or if you can't wait, get a used 50D. There are many floating around in B&S. You wont lose so much money if you decide this cam doesn't satisfy you and you want to sell it away.

egnaro : Care to elaborate more on what u meant built and specs?

There arent many reviews on the usage of the 7D though, so i was hoping to get those who already had a hands on....

I must say at the back of my mind 5D is still wat i want though.. A big investment for a small time photographer like me...

I am comparing between 40D and 7D.

Built wise, 7D definitely win hand down. Solid feel and better weight for heavier lens and of cuz, it weathersealed

Spec wise, better shutter click(softer), higher FPS, better in resolution, great noise control, wireless flash control and etc...

1 great improvement 7D have made is the On-Off switch have move over to the other side, not everyone used to it, especially long time Canon user. well, to me, I like it better then 40D

You need time and patience to get 2nd hand good conditions 5D from B&S

Or if you can't wait, get a used 50D. There are many floating around in B&S. You wont lose so much money if you decide this cam doesn't satisfy you and you want to sell it away.

Gd idea...thanks Calib :thumbsup:

I am comparing between 40D and 7D.

Built wise, 7D definitely win hand down. Solid feel and better weight for heavier lens and of cuz, it weathersealed

Spec wise, better shutter click(softer), higher FPS, better in resolution, great noise control, wireless flash control and etc...

1 great improvement 7D have made is the On-Off switch have move over to the other side, not everyone used to it, especially long time Canon user. well, to me, I like it better then 40D

Thanks for your descriptions egnaro , maybe the only i can do is go down vivo n try these 2 models to see which one i really like... :dunno: Thanks all for your great inputs...;p

got mine used..serving me very well. test yr luck. ;)

Hi all,

I just sold off my 450D hoping to get an upgrade an comparing these 2 models . I still cant decide which is actually a better , i dont need 7D's HD video or its 8fps and most likely not gonna need the extra 3Megapixels as mostly shooting portraits and maybe sometimes landscape and will be printing the most 8R.My concerns is the quality or colors of the picture Which one would be a better one? I noe 5D families are out as its really out of my budget..

One more question , if i shoot both using...let say a Tammy 17-50mm , under same settings, will 7D produce better colors ?

Please excuse my noobieness guys!

Actually what was the reason to upgrade? There must have been a push factor. Then have a consideration for what is your future plans in photography. Do u see yourself sticking to crop or FF in the future?
Then ask yourself if the Upgrade option of 7D or 50D would achieve alleviating your upgrade itch? If not Would the 5d do the trick?
Then if the cheaper option dosent get u there.... Should have stuck to the 450D and got a better lens.
:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.