77mm filters on a 52mm lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

duntellu

Dec 15, 2003
where the meat meats my teeth
Visit site
I am wondering if there any side effect or unintended effects from using a 77mm filter on a much smaller lens say 52 or 55mm in diameter.

at the moment, already have 2 sets of filters ( almost similar in quantity and variety) for my 62mm lens and a 77mm for my upcomming 18-200vr. Hence, wondering if i can hopefuly use the 77mm filter without any big issues on smaller lens.

Types of filters, i think would not have big issues,
cpl, uv, colored filters,

types of filters that i m not sure
multi-image filters, star filters, soft diffuser,

anyone have any experience on this?

To adapt a bigger diameter filter on a smaller diameter lense filter mount, you can use a step-down ring, in ur case, 77->52mm or 77->55mm step-down ring.

The only down side is that you probably cant attach your lense hood, if there's any for your lense.

To adapt a bigger diameter filter on a smaller diameter lense filter mount, you can use a step-down ring, in ur case, 77->52mm or 77->55mm step-down ring.

The only down side is that you probably cant attach your lense hood, if there's any for your lense.

Sorry,
I tot it should be step-up ring, since the filter size is bigger than the dia of the len.
Step-down ring is for filter size smaller than the dia of len?

Sorry,
I tot it should be step-up ring, since the filter size is bigger than the dia of the len.
Yes, you are right. It should be a step up ring. But I think 52-77mm ring is not common.

Sorry,

Hmm... you are right. :bsmilie:

It's always from LENSE FILTER mount to FILTER.

So to put a 77mm filter to 52mm filter mount, one requires a STEP-UP ring of 52mm->77mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.