70mm-200mm which f stop to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfstan

May 31, 2005
Earth
hi everyone...

wondering which 70mm-200mm to get and would love to hear your experiences especially those used both f/4 and f/2.8 before.

70mm-200mm f/2.8L IS USM - Price $3XXX
70mm-200mm f/2.8L (without IS) - Price $2XXX
70mm-200mm f/4L (without IS) - Price $1XXX

I understand the price differs tremendously but question is does the price justified the quality receiving at end of the day?

Any comments or pictures comparison are welcome.

thanks..

I would say the quality is the same. Although some would say the f/2.8 is just slightly better. If you have the money for the f/2.8L IS, why not. If you don't need the f/2.8L then get the f/4 and save yourself some money.

The f/4L is a lot lighter to use than the f/2.8L (but the f/2.8L is still very nice to hold, to use all afternoon).
I've read that the f/2.8L is sharper than the f/2.8L IS (but who can pick the difference anyway? hee-hee)
Many will say "depends what you need", "do you shoot indoors", "what's your budget".

the price is just an indicator of how much you are willing to pay for it.

Try them out and see which one you like :)

i would say
"depends what you need", "do you shoot indoors", "what's your budget".

I have used all the 3 lenses but own only the f4. I would say I am still more comfortable with the f4 because of the "light" weight, as compared to the other 2 bigger brothers. The one with the IS is a fantastic lens but it's really quite tiring to shoot with such a heavy lens.

For the price that you can get an F4 on the resale market (<$1k), I would deinitely recommend it. Image quality is top notch.... and best of all, it's white. ;)

You lose 1 stop but you can always make up for it by pumping up the ISO to compensate. Kudos to Canon's noise free images, we can safely and confidently do so.

My very first lens was 70mm-200mm f/4L , after a while I sold it off and got the 70mm-200mm f/2.8L IS USM .

Quite happy with it. The reason is it is IS , f2.8 and I like it's weight just nice for me to carry around.

I suggest that you get the EF 70-200 F/2.8 L. Very useful in indoor event shot.
If got more $ go for the IS version. Will never go wrong...;)

I'm a fan of lightweight equipment, so the F4L for me ;p The F2.8Ls are only one stop faster (shutter speed only twice as fast) and I don't think it really makes a big difference for indoor or low light shooting (i.e. if F4 cannot make it without external lighting, F2.8 probably can't make it too!).

I've just only recently upgraded from an f4L to a non-IS f2.8L. The one stop is quite a fair amount of difference in terms of shutter speed for me, which is why I upgraded as I tend to do indoor quite a bit. Optical quality wise both are the same, but of course you get more DOF control for the f2.8 version.

The f4L makes an excellent events lens as it is MUCH lighter than the f2.8 version. I enjoy handholding the f4L as it really doesn't weigh me down, but the f2.8 version is kinda chunky by comparison. Personally I think you can't go wrong with either of the 3 lenses.

2.8 :thumbsup:

"Personally I think you can't go wrong with either of the 3 lenses."

hmmmm, :think:

bry'an said:
"Personally I think you can't go wrong with either of the 3 lenses."

hmmmm, :think:

So I suppose you think one of them is bad?

Ive use the f4 mostly indoor. Light and comfy to shoot. No shoulder ache after shoot. And you can afford to hold another cam with wide angle lens attached on the other shoulder. You just need to know when and what to shoot. Getting the correct exposure in dim light needs lots of practice and know how.

if budget is no problem [ or even if it is get a second hand IS]get the 2.8.IS . i have this lens and love it. reasons:
1. f2.8 gives shallow depth of field for spectacular shots
2. the lens gives very good images even when shot wide open
3. the IS has enabled me to hand hold this lens at many times when withoutb the IS i only got blurred images. [ with IS its like 3 shutter speeds up]
4. its very well built

Ultimately it depends on what you need. If no special need, then the f4 is undoubtably the best value for money Canon 70-200.

1. cheapest
2. extremely sharp
3. similar sharpness as siblings, it has fluorite glass
3. best value L lens
4. much lighter, better ergonomics, being lighter you might also travel more easily with it.

with savings of almost 2k, imagine what other lenses you can buy :)

thanks all for sharing their experiences and comments. decided to buy the f/2.8, been asking around, it seems that TCW is selling the cheapest (based on the Canon price list in this website)! anyone thinks otherwise?

who is oracle? care to share?

Stoned said:
So I suppose you think one of them is bad?
no lah, 3 are decent then don know which one to take home ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.