70-300mm VR Focus problem

johndoe161

Apr 16, 2010
Ang Mo Kio
Hello all,

Well, like the title says, my (very brand new ) AFS 70-300mm VR got problems focusing between 210 and 280-ish mm. I tried it on the D5000, set to AF-S focus and the problem still persists. The lens just focus back and forth and does not 'lock'. After a while it just stop focusing altogether and I have to switch the camera off and on for the auto-focus to run again. It pretty much goes away after I zoom out to 200mm or less or all the way to 300mm. Does anyone here experience such a thing with these lens (or any other) or know someone who does? I googled it but cant seem to find an answer. Searched CS also.

And I also would like to wish all the Nikonians here a very Happy New Year! Cheers! :)

How far is the subject you are focusing on?

I was at the zoo when I first encountered the problem. How far? I can only estimate. Less than 50m I supposed. The problem happens all the time at that focal space, far, near, outdoors, indoors with bright light.

Hello all,

Well, like the title says, my (very brand new ) AFS 70-300mm VR got problems focusing between 210 and 280-ish mm. I tried it on the D5000, set to AF-S focus and the problem still persists. The lens just focus back and forth and does not 'lock'. After a while it just stop focusing altogether and I have to switch the camera off and on for the auto-focus to run again. It pretty much goes away after I zoom out to 200mm or less or all the way to 300mm. Does anyone here experience such a thing with these lens (or any other) or know someone who does? I googled it but cant seem to find an answer. Searched CS also.

And I also would like to wish all the Nikonians here a very Happy New Year! Cheers! :)

Assuming you have double confirmed the problem (so as to save you the hassle and the time waste) easiest solution is to take it to the Nikon Service Centre and ask them to have a look (especially if the lens is very brand new (under guarantee).

p.s. Happy new year too :)

I was at the zoo when I first encountered the problem. How far? I can only estimate. Less than 50m I supposed. The problem happens all the time at that focal space, far, near, outdoors, indoors with bright light.

Try focussing on contrasty objects in good light. If still cannot focus, check with Nikon Service Centre.

Assuming you have double confirmed the problem (so as to save you the hassle and the time waste) easiest solution is to take it to the Nikon Service Centre and ask them to have a look (especially if the lens is very brand new (under guarantee).

p.s. Happy new year too :)

Try focussing on contrasty objects in good light. If still cannot focus, check with Nikon Service Centre.

Thats my last plan. Problem is I work in Jurong Island, NSC close at 7pm Wed and Thur (other days 5.30pm) and I knock off at 6pm. And they dont open weekends. Only way is to 'extend' my lunch hour, with permission of course. ;p

if not min focus distance issue, then it could be u r trying to focus ur subject in low light.

if not min focus distance issue, then it could be u r trying to focus ur subject in low light.

How low is low light? When I was at the zoo, it was a bit overcast but not dark.

This was taken at 70mm, F8
DSC_0074.jpg

This was at 300mm F5.6
DSC_0107.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all,

With D5000, have you tried to focus with the center point only ? Note that in D5000, the corner parts is not as sensitive as the center part.

I saw that you own D7000. D7000 has an improved auto focusing module than D5000. Have you tried with D7000 and still got same problem ?

ur problem is quite normal. It is a common problem for long range lens. Just manual focus (estimate) den switch to auto.

With D5000, have you tried to focus with the center point only ? Note that in D5000, the corner parts is not as sensitive as the center part.

I saw that you own D7000. D7000 has an improved auto focusing module than D5000. Have you tried with D7000 and still got same problem ?

Yeah, I actually use the lens with the D7000 only. Thats where I notice the problem. Fixed it on my D5000 just to check if the problem is the cam or the lens.

ur problem is quite normal. It is a common problem for long range lens. Just manual focus (estimate) den switch to auto.

Seriously? Im deciding to visit NSC to ask them whats the problem. If what you say is true, I can still live with it, only its a big annoyance if I was to zoom at that focal space and cant auto-focus. The 70-300mm can manual focus while on auto-focus, just need to grab the focus ring only. I live with it then for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info guys and have a Happy New Year! :D