70-300mm lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

r4mil

May 19, 2004
Philippines
Hi Guys,
I would like to ask you opinion about the following:
Currently I own D70 with AFS DX 18-70mm (kit) and AFD 50mm f1.8.
I am now considering to buy a 70-300mm lens to complement my other lenses. It will be a general use lens for me (everyday photo, outdoors, some portrait.) I have a few lense in mind but could not decide yet which one to get. My budget is around S$300, lower is better.
1. Nikkor AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G
2. Tamron AF70-300MM F/4-5.6 LD Macro
3. Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Zoom Macro Super II (how much?)
4. Other recommendation within the same price range
My criteria are:
1. picture quality
2. price
3. size/weight
4. Macro is plus (not required)
Your help will be very much welcome.
Thanks

Discussed alot already on this forum - do a search for the details. But the general conclusion is go for the Sigma lens - arguably the best in this class of lens.

Gooseberry thanks for the recommendation.
Please direct me too to older discussions that you mentioned.
I searched but did not help much.
Thanks

Using the advanced search, you can find these gems... and the conclusion overall for a $300+- budget is to get the Sigma just as gooseberry said. The Tamron 70-300, I remember reading somewhere, is extremely similar to the Nikon 70-300.

Which 70-300mm tele to choose?

Which 70-300mm zoom is better?

Nikkor 70-300ED vs Sigma 70-300 APO Macro II

Nikkor 70-300mm G and ED version

Bought the Sigma APO 70-300mm Macro Super II

You can do a search for the lens.
BTW, I just recently bought the Sigma macro lens and it is real good. No problems working with the D70. Cost about $300 to $350 for new. Quite a number of bros in the forum have the lens and may be tempted to sell you if you post a thread to buy.

acroamatic said:
Using the advanced search, you can find these gems... and the conclusion overall for a $300+- budget is to get the Sigma just as gooseberry said. The Tamron 70-300, I remember reading somewhere, is extremely similar to the Nikon 70-300.

Which 70-300mm tele to choose?

Which 70-300mm zoom is better?

Nikkor 70-300ED vs Sigma 70-300 APO Macro II

Nikkor 70-300mm G and ED version

Bought the Sigma APO 70-300mm Macro Super II
Thanks acroamatic and mikeng for help and tips.
From the discussion forums I am inclined to get a sigma.

I've been using the 24-120 VR for some time and had no problems with dust on CCD as it's internal focusing.

Just bought the Sigma 70-300 and after 2 outings, I start to see elephants on my photos...at least 10 BIG ones and countless small ones. :confused:

Apparently, the loooong tube sucks in dust like a camel. :dunno:

No complaints with picture quality tho.

HotSpots said:
I've been using the 24-120 VR for some time and had no problems with dust on CCD as it's internal focusing.

Just bought the Sigma 70-300 and after 2 outings, I start to see elephants on my photos...at least 10 BIG ones and countless small ones. :confused:

HotSpots, thanks for pointing out the dust problem with Sigma.
After all information I think I will give it a try.

HotSpots said:

The Nikon 70-300 extends as well and there's no internal focussing if I'm not wrong. Dust problem would be similar to the Sigma one.

Checked with several vendors, only MS color got stock for Sigma, $320 w/out GST.

am interested in ur lens,am a owner of NIKON FE10,but am still new to photography,hoping to get zooming lens(35-300mm) for zooming purposes

mikeng said:
You can do a search for the lens.
BTW, I just recently bought the Sigma macro lens and it is real good. No problems working with the D70. Cost about $300 to $350 for new. Quite a number of bros in the forum have the lens and may be tempted to sell you if you post a thread to buy.

mpenza said:
The Nikon 70-300 extends as well and there's no internal focussing if I'm not wrong. Dust problem would be similar to the Sigma one.

Even the Nikon D70 kit lens, AF-s18-70 extends as you zoom. So, it does sucks in dust as well, but to a lesser extent. So, there is a rubber seal in the lens mount, but not much protection as dust gets in anyhow.

Anyone who is very concerned with dust should get those better constructed lens that is "constant volume" when you zoom or focus. In general these lenses are the more expensive pro lenses. One affordable lens that comes to mind is the Tokina 28-70 F2.8 Pro SV - solid and no extension whatsoever!

Status
Not open for further replies.