70-300mm IS USM or 75-300mm USM?


Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbun

New Member
Feb 9, 2006
170
0
0
Hong Kong
#1
i would like to have a lens whereby i can take a scroll down the city..
mainly taking pics of pple doing their stuff...
occasionally closing up on the cigarette butts on the floor..

is 70-300mm a gd choice for the above?
i didn't do a thorough research,
but i did a few search in this forum,
n figured the 70-300mm range shld be quite a suitable lens for walk-walk-see-see shots.

i checked out the Canon lens list.
saw these 2 lens.

EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

the price difference is quite a lot eh?
will the IS make any big difference for a newbie like me?
or shld i just get the cheaper 75-300mm III to practise first?
 

fWord

Senior Member
Jun 23, 2005
3,350
0
0
35
Melbourne, Australia
#2
The price difference is great not just because of the IS, but because there are quite a few years between both lenses. The 75-300mm is a lot older. The 70-300mm IS was released just last year.

This lens will provide a good amount of reach, but probably too long for street shooting. Because of it's size, I also don't believe that you'll get away with 'sniping' candids since your setup will probably turn a few heads. For street shooting, I'd still prefer to go with a standard zoom, such as the kit lens.

If you're new to this range and not sure if it is right for you, then try the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Macro first. It's quite inexpensive. Then if you decide that this is really the range you want and need, then upgrade to the 70-300mm IS (if you need the IS), 70-200mm f/4L (if you find quality of utmost importance), or save up and go straight for the 70-200mm f/2.8L (IS or non-IS).
 

bigbun

New Member
Feb 9, 2006
170
0
0
Hong Kong
#4
alright, i think i shld heed your advice and try out a sigma first.

looking at the list,

28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG MACRO
APO 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO

what does APO means?
would the 28-300mm be a better buy? since i get more range for the extra $150?
 

bigbun

New Member
Feb 9, 2006
170
0
0
Hong Kong
#5
never mind,
i think the 70-300mm will be a much better choice..
after reading some horrendous reviews on the 28-300mm.. :eek:
 

Goldenstars08

Senior Member
Nov 21, 2004
1,512
2
38
Singapore
#6
Don't just depend on reviews. Go to some Camera Shop to test out the quality of the lenses you want to buy with your DSLR. Go home blow up the pics on your PC to confirm.

I don't really trust the online reviews. I trust myself more....:devil:
 

jkmchua

New Member
Jan 27, 2006
28
0
0
#12
alright, i think i shld heed your advice and try out a sigma first.

looking at the list,

28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG MACRO
APO 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO
I've just bought the APO 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO. Image quanlity is good and really a value for money lens. I get from MSC for S$320.:thumbsup:
 

lycan

New Member
Nov 8, 2005
267
0
0
Asia
lycan.multiply.com
#14
Stick with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM if the price is okay with you.

Great Lens!



bigbun said:
i would like to have a lens whereby i can take a scroll down the city..
mainly taking pics of pple doing their stuff...
occasionally closing up on the cigarette butts on the floor..

is 70-300mm a gd choice for the above?
i didn't do a thorough research,
but i did a few search in this forum,
n figured the 70-300mm range shld be quite a suitable lens for walk-walk-see-see shots.

i checked out the Canon lens list.
saw these 2 lens.

EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

the price difference is quite a lot eh?
will the IS make any big difference for a newbie like me?
or shld i just get the cheaper 75-300mm III to practise first?
 

jeryltan

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2006
3,354
0
0
44
s5.photobucket.com
#15
SAomeone selling a 75-300 is usm in b&s, go check it out..

bigbun said:
never mind,
i think the 70-300mm will be a much better choice..
after reading some horrendous reviews on the 28-300mm.. :eek:
 

user111

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2004
4,702
0
36
#16
i have 75-300 IS for sale. i am upgrading to 100-400L IS :thumbsup: drop me a note if u are keen hehe!
 

bigbun

New Member
Feb 9, 2006
170
0
0
Hong Kong
#17
i've yet decided what lens to get,
but thanks all for the advice & offers. :thumbsup:
 

fWord

Senior Member
Jun 23, 2005
3,350
0
0
35
Melbourne, Australia
#18
bigbun said:
i've yet decided what lens to get,
but thanks all for the advice & offers. :thumbsup:
That's good. Take time to think it over...these toys are not cheap, and if out of control, the whole hobby can actually be very expensive.
 

jeryltan

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2006
3,354
0
0
44
s5.photobucket.com
#19
I think the 70-300mm hardly qualifies as a walkabout.. You might want to consider the Tamron 24-135mm SP instead..At < $500, it's the best bang per buck :)

bigbun said:
i would like to have a lens whereby i can take a scroll down the city..
mainly taking pics of pple doing their stuff...
occasionally closing up on the cigarette butts on the floor..

is 70-300mm a gd choice for the above?
i didn't do a thorough research,
but i did a few search in this forum,
n figured the 70-300mm range shld be quite a suitable lens for walk-walk-see-see shots.

i checked out the Canon lens list.
saw these 2 lens.

EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

the price difference is quite a lot eh?
will the IS make any big difference for a newbie like me?
or shld i just get the cheaper 75-300mm III to practise first?
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom