70 - 200mm VR F2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

koayst

Dec 29, 2006
Just wonder what do I need to check when I am going to get this lens?

I mean since this is a pretty expensive piece of glass, can I sort of check when was it built at the factory. Certainly I don't think I am interested to get one from a shop that has been sitting on the shelves the longest time.

Thanks.

Maybe you can check the serial #?

What is your main concern if you think the lens is in the shop for "long" time?

Do you go to your "usual" shop and check out? else can go to the recommended shops by CS should not have much problem even when you have problems with the lens that just bought.

check the glass...no damage, fungus, dust, scratches etc etc

check the body...no damage, chips, peeling etc if any (shd not be...its a nikon!)

check the creep if any (shd not be...it's a great nikon glass)

check the mechanism, feel of the zoom etc.

load on to cam...check the pics....sharpness, speed, af etc.

hold it feel it...feels ok and all of the above ok...buy it! (after that fingers crossed...you'd have to be very unlucky if some problem crops up)

and oh...add to the above...buy it from a good shop...even it is a bit more $$$ than someone else offering a great deal...coz it's an expensive glass.

All the best...!

And don't worry about it having been on the shelf for too long. All of the reputable shops found in the Nikon Prices thread move enough pieces of this particular glass every month to guarantee that "Your lenses are always fresh" :bsmilie:

This is not something that is unpopuler and thus left to languish on the shelfs for long durations.

What to check? Simple quick checks include: Visual inspection of lens body, no signs of usage, breakage, etc. Glass elements free from fungus, scratches, etc. Mechanical inspection, zoom and focus rings turn without any grinding or obstruction. Lens autofocuses properly on your camera body. VR functions as it should.

Checks that require other gear. e.g. Sharpness and front/back focusing error tests require you to at least bring along a laptop and tripod (if the shop is not able to provide you with one). Those that provide you with a 7-day return are better in this regard, as you can always bring it home to test this.

ahaha. daydreamz beat me to replying.

Oh btw, there is no "creep" on the 70-200. It has no extending barrel. Everything moves within the lens body.

Thanks ALL for the reply.

My concern of "leaving on the shelf the longest" is probably due to my observation that I noticed - in some shops, some will very willing to let their "frequent customer" try any lens the customer asked.

Certainly I am not keen to get once of those lenses. It is like buying a showroom car at undiscounted price.

My concern of "leaving on the shelf the longest" is probably due to my observation that I noticed - in some shops, some will very willing to let their "frequent customer" try any lens the customer asked.

Certainly I am not keen to get once of those lenses. It is like buying a showroom car at undiscounted price.
then you don't go and buy from the "some" shop that you notice...

Come to think of it, do shops keep the lenses in a drybox? Keeping too long = higher chance of getting fungus?

Come to think of it, do shops keep the lenses in a drybox? Keeping too long = higher chance of getting fungus?

ask them when theese stock were and if it were to be too long don buy it;p

Hmmm....unlikely that any retailer will honestly tell you that the lens he is showing you has been in his stock for 6or8months etc...surely that will be a deal breaker and any interested customer will turn away from the sale (esp if it is at same price etc & he can get a crisp fresh lens elsewhere).

There has to be some other way of finding this out (usually condition of the lens, the box, general storage areas, location of the lens box in the stock shelf, etc etc are the signs I would look for). Packaging deteriorates faster than the products inside, so oldish dishevelled pkg, crumpled corners on boxes, yellowing / aging etc of box are also good signs. Guess it's a matter of gut feel & perception...rest is of course luck. (unless lenses come with serial nos that can be verified on websites or with mfg/expiry dates like consumables! :) )

Cheers.

ask them when theese stock were and if it were to be too long don buy it;p

If it's under air conditioning where the humidity leevl is quite low, it should be ok as long as there is no condensation. Usually there is a small packet of dessicant so there should be not much problem.

you will nv know how many hands have touch your lens already when u buy.

you will nv know how many hands have touch your lens already when u buy.
Abit OT, but does it include hands from lens assembly, calibrating, packaging and transporting then delivery of lens to shop retailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.