70-200mm Lens - Is tripod needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhifi

Aug 20, 2006
Hi all. Another question again. I am thinking of getting the Canon 70-200mm f4L lens, but I don't like to carry tripod stand along. Is it a must to use tripod stand if I were to zoom in at 200mm? My subjects are usually not fast moving object.

Thanks in advance. :)

For starters, as a rough guide, the comfortable shutter speed for handholding is equivalent to 1/focal length of lens. (the reciprocal rule). So for instance you are zoomed out to 200mm, you need more than 1/200 shutter speed to ensure you get reasonable sharp pics. The 70-200mm f4 is ideally suited for outdoor shooting, but for indoors or low light where the shutter speed may drop low, you would have to use a stable support e.g tripod or monopod to compensate for low shutter. Another (much more) expensive option is to get the 70-200mm f2.8L IS which has IS to compensate for handshake at low shutter speeds.

Personally I find a monopod (with a decent ballhead) sufficient for usage for 70-200mm class of lens, and ideal for when you need to use the lens for extended period of time and/or in constant low light. A tripod also works but is heavier/bulkier and needs more time to set up.

skyhifi said:
Hi all. Another question again. I am thinking of getting the Canon 70-200mm f4L lens, but I don't like to carry tripod stand along. Is it a must to use tripod stand if I were to zoom in at 200mm? My subjects are usually not fast moving object.

It depends on your stability.. if you can hand hold it at 1/15, by all means forget the tripod. If its really dark, then just use a tripod but you get less mobile.

The 70-200 F4L doesn't come with its own tripod stand, you have to buy it separately if i recall correctly.

It all depends on the lighting and how stable ya hands are. if ya shooting at 200mm. to hand hold. the general rule of a thumb for shutter speed is 1/(the focal length), in this case, 1/200 secs. but like i said. it's just a rule of a thumb.

it really depends on how stable ya hands are. practise makes perfect

skyhifi said:

There's a 70-200 f/4L IS coming... :devil:

Garion said:
Personally I find a monopod (with a decent ballhead) sufficient for usage for 70-200mm class of lens, and ideal for when you need to use the lens for extended period of time and/or in constant low light. A tripod also works but is heavier/bulkier and needs more time to set up.

agree, but 1st, better learn the proper technics of handling camera and using monopod.

most will think just mount the camera onto the monopod and shoot. without knowing how to position monopod, it will become a hinderance instead.

Thanks for all your suggestions/comments. I am actually planning to get a monopod instead of tripod as it is lighter and less cumbersome. From what I gather, using the 70-200mm f4L lens not necessary to use a tripod/monopod, depending on the lighting condition and hand stability. Hope after some practices, my hands will be more stable.

Garion said:
For starters, as a rough guide, the comfortable shutter speed for handholding is equivalent to 1/focal length of lens. (the reciprocal rule). So for instance you are zoomed out to 200mm, you need more than 1/200 shutter speed to ensure you get reasonable sharp pics. The 70-200mm f4 is ideally suited for outdoor shooting, but for indoors or low light where the shutter speed may drop low, you would have to use a stable support e.g tripod or monopod to compensate for low shutter. Another (much more) expensive option is to get the 70-200mm f2.8L IS which has IS to compensate for handshake at low shutter speeds.

I believe the rough guide includes the crop factor for DSLR. so its 1/(focal length x crop factor).

blive said:
I believe the rough guide includes the crop factor for DSLR. so its 1/(focal length x crop factor).
Thanks. I've always wondered about this fact myself, since its "crop" zoom and not actual zoom, say for e.g. the lens at 200mm still behaves like a 200mm lens except its FOV is cropped smaller. So does a camera's crop factor really need to be taken into account for the reciprocal rule for handholding? :think:

The f/4 is generally an outdoor lens to be used when the lighitng is good. I regularly handlod 1/120 at 200mm at times with no problems . If i sit/proine down it can go as low as 1/60.

Garion said:
Thanks. I've always wondered about this fact myself, since its "crop" zoom and not actual zoom, say for e.g. the lens at 200mm still behaves like a 200mm lens except its FOV is cropped smaller. So does a camera's crop factor really need to be taken into account for the reciprocal rule for handholding? :think:
Most certainly yes. The crop factor has the effect of reducing the FOV which is why that 200mm on 35mm film format becomes a 300mm on digital assuming a crop factor of 1.5X. Smaller field of view is akin to using a longer lens. The bugbear of digital - you gain on the tele end with the associated issue of camera shake but lose out on the wide angles.

The 70-200 f4 has its limitations, it being a slower lens and slower lens means slower shutter speed which means greater chance of handshake and subject movement.

Magnification or size of the image aggravate this problem. Magnification is proportional to (focal length/subject distance) Eg. if you are shooting a close subject with 200mm (ie. highly magnified) you are likely to get blurred pictures. So you would do well to follow the 1/(focal length X crop factor) rule, ie 1/250 or 1/500.

However shooting scenery or objects at a distance you will have less problem and can get good shots at 1/125 or even 1/60.

so whether you need a tripod or not depends on
1) type of pictures you want to take
2) typical lighting conditions you work in
3) your handholding ability

With the convenience of digital, I typically push up the ASA/ISO to allow handholding. Hope that helps. :)

the lens is so light u dont need tripod at all.

unless taking landscape shot with it at night.

denniskee said:
agree, but 1st, better learn the proper technics of handling camera and using monopod.

most will think just mount the camera onto the monopod and shoot. without knowing how to position monopod, it will become a hinderance instead.

I absolutely agree... monopod is not as easy as many think it is.

Do you have any guidiance of a proper use of monopod? :embrass:

An drew said:
so whether you need a tripod or not depends on
1) type of pictures you want to take
2) typical lighting conditions you work in
3) your handholding ability

With the convenience of digital, I typically push up the ASA/ISO to allow handholding. Hope that helps. :)

it's the same for me... i handhold almost all the time, but it takes practice.

In any case which I need 'help', i'll up the ISO too...

so depends what you're comfortable with and how good u are at it. ;)

skyhifi said:

if you r going to mandai zoo.. no need

if you r going to nite safari.. yes bring one

Status
Not open for further replies.