70-200mm f2.8: Tamron vs Sigma OS; Shooting moving objects

aaeghiioouvyeva

Jan 28, 2011
Hi:)
I'm having a Nikon D5000 body, and am considering between Tamron's 70-200mm f2.8 and Sigma's new OS version for 70-200mm f2.8
Mainly covering concert photography, sports and events coverage.

Which would be a better investment? Main considering factor would be focusing speed bah? Since I don't really wish to miss capturing special moments.. Those having Tamron, is the speed really a big issue?

Any advice from anyone?

Thanks!!!:)

Consider the sigma 70-200 hsm II. My copy is sharp and fast. If you have more cash go for the one with Os. Another option would be the Nikon afd 80-200 f/2.8

I have the D5000 and the Sigma HSM OS. So far it's been great, fast AF and lock to the subject. It's a bit ex compared to the Tamron but it's worth the money if you are willing to spend. I bought it for my D7000 actually for low light shooting but it's on my D5000 for when I am shooting company events while my Tamron 28-75 F2.8 is on my D7000. Hope that helps. Happy Shooting :)

Many people has been comparing performance of Sigma 70-200 OS to that of the older Nikon 70-200VR. That should give you an idea.

How much is the sigma ah????

I'm kinda interested too.... Using a d5000 too cheers!

Mother of god....

Shoo expensive....

Wa Kao... I wouldn't even thought of comparing it with the nikkor lens Liao lorh... T_T

ThreeM said:
Wa Kao... I wouldn't even thought of comparing it with the nikkor lens Liao lorh... T_T

If not you can get the non OS version haha,

Non Os version 2nd hand is around $700+. I saw one going for just under $800 at Nikon bns section. Or get a new one with 3 years warranty for $1k. :) non Os version btw.