70-200mm f2.8 lens...Is this good enough for Catwalk Fashion Show (outdoors..8pm)?

sleeksports

Aug 24, 2007
Adopted from SPCA (2003)
Was wondering if this is the right kind of lens to use for shooting a Fashion Show starting at 8pm? Please advise...if possible....any sample shots? :think:

yes....it's the standard for the pros to shoot fashion shoot.

But be very careful of it's weight... it's not a very light lens (any brand)... Some have tried and gave up, but others can more than handle its weight... Hope you've have tried it out first.

personally, i find that f2.8 is very slow.... if u are doing this shoot for a living i.e. ur rice bowl depends on it, get the 200mm f2 and 85mm f1.2 + 2 dslrs instead. use the 200mm for far distance, and 85mm for nearer distance. and get 2 dslrs so u dun need to change lenses.

personally, i find that f2.8 is very slow.... if u are doing this shoot for a living i.e. ur rice bowl depends on it, get the 200mm f2 and 85mm f1.2 + 2 dslrs instead. use the 200mm for far distance, and 85mm for nearer distance. and get 2 dslrs so u dun need to change lenses.

u mean changing the 2 setup when the models walk towards u?

Wa... um how to say le...2 cameras very leh cheh, heavy, and cumbersome wor. And normally the runway, for the most part, quite well lit. IMO f2.8 for me quite sufficient cauz camera got very good ISO control.

Got one time i bring 2 cam body, change cam 1/2 way, my lens hit the poor fella in the ribs beside me. I damn paiseh sia.:cry:

85 1.2 L focusing is also very slow. I can only use that lens when the model stops walking forward or back. Prefocusing is also hard if you're using it at f/1.2 or f/1.8. But really, normally fashion shows has enough lighting even for night shows. f/2.8 is enough. If you use primes, you will have to be good in finding good spot and timing.

Was wondering if this is the right kind of lens to use for shooting a Fashion Show starting at 8pm? Please advise...if possible....any sample shots? :think:

hmm maybe you would like to try a 135f2L :) much cheaper than the 70-200, faster and still an 'L' lens :) the range should be sufficient. If not, stick to the 200mm f2 fr range

IMHO, this is the perfect lens for catwalk. :think:

Thks to all to all who reply...just to learn more about the correct lens used (seems that so many were mentioned), the aperture setting, camera speed and flash...is there anyone brave enough to share your skills with a picture or two from your collection?

I think...people like myself and others reading this thread would benefit.....afterall..."a picture is worth a thousand words"....and this was said before digital photography was even invented...HAHA!

Thks to all to all who reply...just to learn more about the correct lens used (seems that so many were mentioned), the aperture setting, camera speed and flash...is there anyone brave enough to share your skills with a picture or two from your collection?

I think...people like myself and others reading this thread would benefit.....afterall..."a picture is worth a thousand words"....and this was said before digital photography was even invented...HAHA!

No I don't have experiences with catwalk shoots, hence no proof to show if the lens is good enough. But I do know that the lens can be heavy for some (enough to give you the "shakes"). I'll always carry a monopod with mine - more often I'd use it than not.

If you ask me, shooting at night is a tricky situation if no flash gun is used. f/2.8 isn't a particularly fast lens for nightly (with or without optical stabilisation) use UNLESS ample flood lights are used for the catwalk (as if to replicate broad daylight situations).

If your DSLR is capable of very High-ISO performance (beyond 3200/4000 and up) - so that you can use a really fast shutter speed, f/2.8 may just be enough without using flash - assuming that flood lights for the catwalk isn't bright enough. Otherwise, be prepare for noisy images or blurry shots with less-than-pro DSLR bodies...