70-200mm F/4 IS against 55-250mm IS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oooooze76

Jun 12, 2009
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi all, what is your opinion? Im a 50D user, is there significant different between the two lenses?
Care to share your thoughts and pix?

it doesnt matter what len you are using most important is how you photo the image, As old saying "Beauty is in the Eye of the beholder"

the price difference is a helll lot so im willing to bet the quality will be different too. how different i dont know , sorry :D

Buy what you can afford.

Hi all, what is your opinion? Im a 50D user, is there significant different between the two lenses?
Care to share your thoughts and pix?
You need constant aperture lens?

70-200 ƒ/4L IS smokes 55-250mm IS by a long shot. Thus the price difference.

may i add another question.... in term of quality, beside the difference in aperture... between 70-200mm 2.8 and f4... r they equal at f4?

may i add another question.... in term of quality, beside the difference in aperture... between 70-200mm 2.8 and f4... r they equal at f4?

Pretty much yeah. The 70-200 series is Canon's best four zoom lenses imo. The IQ difference between each variant isn't much. The f/4IS is the sharpest, of course. But not the most versatile to me because of the slow f/4 aperture. Which is why I went with the 2.8 IS variant.

As for 70-200 f/4IS vs 55-250 IS, the difference is in every aspect of lens making sans focal length. Sharpness, background blur, color, flare resistance, USM, IS, built, weather sealing... and the list goes on.

i feel the 70-200 is a better choice

but that is because it is in a different league... one is a kit lens, one is a L lens

one is weather-sealed, L lens, one is plastic and will die in rain...

and the 70-200 f/4 is the sharpest amongst the 4 canon 70-200 zoom lenses

If you can afford the 70-200 F4 IS, that's a really great lens!

one is weather-sealed, L lens, one is plastic and will die in rain...

I've used a borrowed 55-250 out in a drizzle before with no ill effects. Shh, don't tell anyone I said that :sweat:

Every lens is designed for a special audience. For general purpose everyday usage to record your family activities, most people will be happy with the 55-250mm. Since most people here in CS is more than just a causal shooters, they demand higher quality than others.

Which group do you belongs to? Only you will know the answer. Don't be sway by the hard core CS forumers that demand the best of the best.

Which lens to get? this is a question only you can answer. Even if you have the money, if you don't even care about the IQ difference between the two (or can't tell), then why should you be paying more?

Last edited:
Dear All

I really appreciate all of you giving some good advice. Im the kind that do leisure photography and like taking photos in every part of my life... my family, my job, places i go to.. also i try to learn to take good shot like many people here.
Today, i use my 17-55mm f2.8 to look like photos of my neice playing basketball.. though its nothing compare to the professional, but i find that its good enough for me.
What i realise is that using the better lens can help u to capture the moment better. The normal kit len, 18-55mm is maybe too slow to capture the photos of my niece playing basketball.
So if cost is not a concern, i will go for 70-200mm f/4 IS. I believe it will help me to take better pictures that to me is having a good clear image not blur.

The normal kit len, 18-55mm is maybe too slow to capture the photos of my niece playing basketball.

Your niece is playing ball outdoors...right?

How would the 18-55 be too slow then..? In terms of AF speed?

70-200 f4 is light compared to its f2.8 versions.

The reason getting it -- better IQ the colors and detail are just tops. Better built and constant f4. (very good performance at F4). :thumbsup:

this lens got me into the L lens arena and now I use nikon I do miss the f4 70-200 I had.
:cry:

The 17-55 is a USM len, its much faster in terms of focusing. Also i was taking under shaded area. The f2.8 helps too.
The pic in my flickr is good enough for me but maybe not good for many.

Status
Not open for further replies.