70-200mm f/2.8 Canon vs Sigma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koh Li Kuan

May 7, 2003
Bedok Reservoir
Visit site
Thinking of getting one but Canon at $2K n Sigma at $1.2K... difference of $800. Is Sigma as good as Canon?? Certainly a huge saving if I go for Sigma.

Can anyone advise??

Thanks...
likuan

In my honest opinion, if you have a budget issue to get the Canon 70-200, then maybe it would be great to get the Sigma 70-200... But you have to remember that the resale value for the Sigma lens wouldn't be as good as Canon lens...

If your primarily intention is to shoot using the 70-200 f/2.8, then get the Sigma 70-200... Heard quite a number of good comment about this lens...

However, the final decision still lies with you... ;)

Normally see the sigma selling for about 1k second hand. How much will the canon 70-200 2.8 sell for second hand? Hmmm...

Originally posted by Mr Fish
Normally see the sigma selling for about 1k second hand. How much will the canon 70-200 2.8 sell for second hand? Hmmm...

But the equation is still the same.

You pay 1.2K for new Sigma, sell at 1K, lugi 0.2K
You pay 1.9K for new Canon, sell at 1.7K, also lugi 0.2K

:( :confused:

Originally posted by Koh Li Kuan
Thinking of getting one but Canon at $2K n Sigma at $1.2K... difference of $800. Is Sigma as good as Canon?? Certainly a huge saving if I go for Sigma.

Can anyone advise??

Thanks...
likuan

How much would the brand new Sigma 70-200 be? thanks!

remember, theres no free lunch in this world - it really depends on your needs and desires...;)

Yup that's what i'm thinking also.

But the equation is still the same.

You pay 1.2K for new Sigma, sell at 1K, lugi 0.2K
You pay 1.9K for new Canon, sell at 1.7K, also lugi 0.2K

:( :confused:

Sigma has great value. Image quality is good and AF is fast. It's a good lens to start with. The price is ok for most amateur photog. If you feel pain on spending 2k+ to get Canon, go for Sigma, and stay with it for at least one year. I have seen many users got this glass and soon rushed to sell it, but apparently they haven't made good use of it. Most of my candid shots were taken with this guy. Now I still miss its black color and weight.

BUT...

... never touch a L lens unless you have prepared. :bsmilie: There IS a difference. L lens is visibly better in color rendition and contrast. In difficult situations, it has higher hit rate. Maybe this is what a professional lens suppose to do. If you want the best, go for L lens.

I think you will be happy with either, so look at your budget and decide.

I'm agree. In fact you can see most of my bird part shooting are using Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 HSM and some other photo at my website. Is good to have one to practice before move forward to upgrade.

http://agpx4.clubsnap.org

How come no discussion on this lens? It is a very good alternative to the L and the Sigma, and for a good price too. :) Also built like a tank..

Don't like the colour and contrast when used open wide.
Don't like the way the hood attaches to the lense.

How much for a brand new one? :what:

Originally posted by fruitybix
How come no discussion on this lens? It is a very good alternative to the L and the Sigma, and for a good price too. :) Also built like a tank..

The Tokina one should be around the same price as the Sigma lens. But typically I keep away from Tokina lens on the Canon systems, the AF doesn't work that well with Canon.

Anyway, if you are an amateur, I will actually suggest that you get the Sigma lens first. The thing is, you should practise shooting with it first until you hit your limitations. Then upgrade to the L-lens. This way, you will learn to appreciate your equipment better and get more satisfaction out of upgrading instead of just splurging money.

The new Tokina 80-200 f2.8 ATX Pro is about $1030 at CP.

As for whether it works or does not work with Canon mounts, is a common theme echoed by all OEM lens manufacturers (Sigma, Tokina alike) who esentially are playing a guessing, "working backward" game as far as the AF is concerned.

The ATX non-Pro version works on the 10D perfectly. Should think this latest Pro version will have no problem.

As for built quality, this lens is tough, very tough. Feel it to believe it.

My suggestion is go for a second hand L lens.You'll never regret it. If you buy a Sigma you'll always be thinking of when you'll by a L lens.

Can anyone advise??

Thanks...
likuan

Originally posted by neptune
My suggestion is go for a second hand L lens.You'll never regret it. If you buy a Sigma you'll always be thinking of when you'll by a L lens.

Got the L lens liao...thanks to all for your most precious inputs...

Status
Not open for further replies.