70-200mm 2.8 L is v.2 OR f4 is + 5dii

Valvalzxc

Aug 7, 2011
Im just wondering, is the 2.8 is rly worth almost 2 times the price of the f4 is version? O_O
or wld it be better to save the difference, get the cheaper f4is first, and upgrade my current camera (550d) to a 5dii so i would have better noise performance when i bump up the iso?

pls dun bash, im just new to photography.

thankyou!

The f2.8 aperture is nice to have, but the lens is big and heavy as compare to the f4 version

So it depends on what type of photography you are doing, walk-abouts is very tiring carrying the huge f2.8 lens on your neck

I personally have the f4 IS version, one of my favourite lenses. Light weight & sharp!

I tried my friend's f4, yes its light and comfortable to hold~

both lenses have stellar quality.

2.8 is always desired. But i have the f4 IS and i do not wish to bring it out with my 17-55 sometimes due to the weight. nv even mention the 2.8 one.

if you do not mind the weight, go for the f2.8, else the f4 will deliver too.

i myself got the f4 IS version, very high performing lens, i must say.

I wld rather get the F4is + upgrade to 5D2 first rather than get the F2.8 mk2 only to pair with the 550D.

I wld rather get the F4is + upgrade to 5D2 first rather than get the F2.8 mk2 only to pair with the 550D.

after getting the 5D2, not satisfied with F4, sell it, buy the F2.8 II IS, lose more money in the process.

Im just wondering, is the 2.8 is rly worth almost 2 times the price of the f4 is version? O_O
or wld it be better to save the difference, get the cheaper f4is first, and upgrade my current camera (550d) to a 5dii so i would have better noise performance when i bump up the iso?

thankyou!

depends on the look you like in your images as f/4 and f/2.8 have different characteristics not to mention light absorbing power and also what you want to do. Also how often you bring out the lens because if you dont really need the 70-200 2.8 often, just rent it for the day.

Last edited:
You'd know what the deal with the f/2.8 is once you start using it. Meanwhile, I know a lot of people who are very satisfied with the f/4.

Have to see yourself. I'm assuming you need the lens for close up shots of subject. If you are happy with the f4 bokeh then im sure the f4 is good enough.

Personally what I did was to try both lens and see the bokeh. I personally prefer the 2.8. im ok with the weight too. I tried the other 70 300 and at 300, my arms were literally cramping as it extends out at that range. For the 70200, the lens doesn't move so whether at 70 or 200, its the same.

I'm now saving up so that I can buy for my daughter ballet performance which is another year from now. Hahahah. I might even rent for that day only as i seldom shoot at that range.

So, suggestion try both lens and see if you like which bokeh. Afterall, almost all shops let you try lens as lenses dont keep track of shuttercount.

Unless you want to shoot sharp all round, which will mean the f4 is good enough.

Hmm..This is a tricky question..
Spec wise.. of course the F2.8 will give better IQ and subject isolation/shutter speed since it has a larger aperture. But it is much bigger and heavier as compared to the F4..

I see this is a decision between..the F2.8 or a ("substitute" lens) + a better camera body. Due to better camera body -noise control performance. the shutter speed i mention above should not be much of a problem anymore..Since now you can pump ISO.

But you might "loose" more money because most probably you will want to sell the F4 and get the F2.8 in the future..(you may not but most will..why? Who dosen't want better gears...

But if i were you. I will probably go for the F4+camera body. (if i really need a 70-200 and the canon 550 is not giving what i want).
oh btw.. although both are 70-200.. But on your current camera you will get more reach..due to crop sensor. (you may want to consider this as well..as it maybe a pro or con for you)

Last edited:
TS is saying if he gets the F2.8, he has to stick with his 550D, or upgrade to 5D2 n get the F4. In my opinion, the shift from crop to FF is more significant than a choice between the 2 lens options. Besides, an F4 on a FF is not the same as on a crop in terms of DOF.

Have to see yourself. I'm assuming you need the lens for close up shots of subject. If you are happy with the f4 bokeh then im sure the f4 is good enough.

Personally what I did was to try both lens and see the bokeh. I personally prefer the 2.8. im ok with the weight too. I tried the other 70 300 and at 300, my arms were literally cramping as it extends out at that range. For the 70200, the lens doesn't move so whether at 70 or 200, its the same.

I'm now saving up so that I can buy for my daughter ballet performance which is another year from now. Hahahah. I might even rent for that day only as i seldom shoot at that range.

So, suggestion try both lens and see if you like which bokeh. Afterall, almost all shops let you try lens as lenses dont keep track of shuttercount.

Unless you want to shoot sharp all round, which will mean the f4 is good enough.
Come on. Bokeh is way overrated..you're like saying getting large aperture lenses are only for its bokeh.. there are more things than bokeh..and TS might not be a bokeh freak too.. and the quality of bokeh dont just depends on the lens itself..

thankyou!

I think it depends on how long you need to save up for your step 2, and how important are cost, weight and a faster aperture to you. If you can live with the weight of the 70-200 F2.8L (1470g) and it wont take you too long to get the 5D2 after that, I would suggest going for the 2.8L first, then eventually the 5D2. You probably lose less money by getting your dream gears in a more straight fwd route. If you prefer a lighter and cheaper lens (the F4L is only half the weight), or if going for the 2.8L lens means you cant get your FF body for a long long time, go get the F4L and 5D2.

Judging by the second-hand prices, F/2.8 IS Mark I costs nowhere near twice that of F/4 IS, perhaps a S$500 difference? Paying double the price of F/4 IS you can get F/2.8 IS Mark II already.

I have used both F/4 IS and F/2.8 IS Mark I, both on full frame and APSc. There are situations where the extra stop of light is greatly appreciated, and you could have more background blur if desired. If you intend to travel with such lenses, though, F/2.8 may be a bit too heavy.

or wld it be better to save the difference, get the cheaper f4is first, and upgrade my current camera (550d) to a 5dii so i would have better

There is always a seemingly exponential price when it comes to faster lenses. Unfortunately is no quantifying on whether it will perform doubly as good as the price increment suggests.

You will get varied opinions from aperture buffs to down to earth practical considerations or requirements. Think around size/weight/thinner depth of field and importantly - budget. The 2.8 zoom starts to wear me down a little with a half a day worth of walk and shoot, and for general purpose I believe both will serve your purpose well enough.

There are so many collective compelling reasons either way that this conundrum will always exist.

Ryan

F2.8. You will probably bitch and moan while lugging it around, but once you see the results it will be all worthwhile.

build a decision matrix. assign points between 1 to 10 for each factor you would consider. exclude pricing as a factor.

finally take the accumulated points for each choice and divide by the price each choice commands.

whichever choice with the higher points per dollars is your best value choice. don't need to wring hands. logic and rationality solve for you