70-200f2.8 tc advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

conkeychua

Aug 19, 2009
Hi am planning to get a 70-200 2.8L but as feel that range is not enough, I also want to consider getting a 1.4 tc! Should I go back to canon or anyone can advise a alternate cheaper brand option?

Thanks alot

Hi am planning to get a 70-200 2.8L but as feel that range is not enough, I also want to consider getting a 1.4 tc! Should I go back to canon or anyone can advise a alternate cheaper brand option?

Thanks alot

You can try Kenko or Tamron.

Thanks alot

Get your 70-200 first and shoot, then you will know if the range is enough or not for the type of shoots you do, instead of feel that range is not enough.

Kenko is a good and popular alternative to the original.

Get your 70-200 first and shoot, then you will know if the range is enough or not for the type of shoots you do, instead of feel that range is not enough.

Kenko is a good and popular alternative to the original.

Bro, I know where u coming from! Alot of people here just feel and think haha! As per my signature stated , I already have the 55-250 so I know how far the 250 can go so not enough haha! Not like adding a 1.4 tc and end up at 280mm 3.5 is going to be enough but definately bettter then 200mm at certain point! :)! With that said, any recommendation for a good 1.4 tc?

Cheers

So is the 70-200 2.8 the right lens for you? perhaps a 100-400 would be better for what you need?

A teleconverter will reduce IQ and also you lose a stop.

So is the 70-200 2.8 the right lens for you? perhaps a 100-400 would be better for what you need?

A teleconverter will reduce IQ and also you lose a stop.

Well I understand your advise and am also thinking of the 100-400mm but maybe a later stage ! Main thing is because of the 2.8 that is needed more due to indoors shoot!

At least up to 200mm I would be on 2.8 and the tc is just to facilitate the additional 80mm when needed! At 3.5 with tc, IQ should be slightly worst then a original 3.5 without tc but which zoom lens is at 3.5 at 300mm or 280mm to be precise :)

as for the not far enough portion, I would be thinking of the 100-400mm option or alternate brand ( cause seem to hear alot of negative feedback but still yet to have the chance to try it out myself! )

cheers!

Bro, I know where u coming from! Alot of people here just feel and think haha! As per my signature stated , I already have the 55-250 so I know how far the 250 can go so not enough haha! Not like adding a 1.4 tc and end up at 280mm 3.5 is going to be enough but definately bettter then 200mm at certain point! :)! With that said, any recommendation for a good 1.4 tc?

Cheers

Already recommended in my original post dude, the Kenko ones are good deal and great alternative to the originals.

Already recommended in my original post dude, the Kenko ones are good deal and great alternative to the originals.

Haha sorry..... Will take that advise... Seen a few selling... Cheers!

Hello conkeychua.
I was struggling between the Kenko and Canon last week. Couldn't make up my mind until a good CS friend advised me to do this -
I did a comparison between the Kenko Teleplus 1.4x and the original Canon Extender 1.4x II.
Put both on the tripod and took a series of pictures at various focal length (70mm, 200mm) using my 70-200 f/2.8L.
After that I compared the sharpness at the edges and in the centre of the photos on my laptop.
Only when I look very carefully can I find some difference in terms of sharpness.
Picture quality degradation is really not an issue between these two.
So if I am hard pressed for a decision, I would choose Canon.
Anyway, with the difference in terms of sharpness - it is easy to guess. I took the Canon.

Hello conkeychua.
I was struggling between the Kenko and Canon last week. Couldn't make up my mind until a good CS friend advised me to do this -
I did a comparison between the Kenko Teleplus 1.4x and the original Canon Extender 1.4x II.
Put both on the tripod and took a series of pictures at various focal length (70mm, 200mm) using my 70-200 f/2.8L.
After that I compared the sharpness at the edges and in the centre of the photos on my laptop.
Only when I look very carefully can I find some difference in terms of sharpness.
Picture quality degradation is really not an issue between these two.
So if I am hard pressed for a decision, I would choose Canon.
Anyway, with the difference in terms of sharpness - it is easy to guess. I took the Canon.

Hi Limwhow,

After reading your post, its like.... I got the answer already and not an advise hahaha...
Would like to find out the following from you which is,

1) Where did you try out both brands? ( WHich i believe you tried out at the same time right)
2) You brought your own tripod to test? Or loan from the shop, Depending your answer on question 1 haha

3)Those pictures that you took and compared, are they still around? Any chance of taking a look Hehe ( Asking for too much right )

Well i have not purchased anything new except for my camera ( Ya i know im cheap ) but i think for the canon tc, i might not have a choice cause it seems like no once sells them in CS ( Either they are so good no one wants to sell them or just no one buys them period )
So let me know which shop and the price you bought it from/for if possible.

Let me know

Cheers!

Hi Limwhow,

After reading your post, its like.... I got the answer already and not an advise hahaha...
Would like to find out the following from you which is,

1) Where did you try out both brands? ( WHich i believe you tried out at the same time right)
2) You brought your own tripod to test? Or loan from the shop, Depending your answer on question 1 haha

3)Those pictures that you took and compared, are they still around? Any chance of taking a look Hehe ( Asking for too much right )

Well i have not purchased anything new except for my camera ( Ya i know im cheap ) but i think for the canon tc, i might not have a choice cause it seems like no once sells them in CS ( Either they are so good no one wants to sell them or just no one buys them period )
So let me know which shop and the price you bought it from/for if possible.

Let me know

Cheers!
Hello conkeychua. Certainly.
I tested both TC at The Camera Workshop at Peninsular Shopping Centre.
Very good, these fellows there. I know them well.
Of course can borrow tripod from them lah. Just bring your own laptop.
The pictures, aiyah... buy and throw already lah. Sorry sorry.
Please go ahead and give yourself a chance to try it out.
Kenko as a 3rd parrty TC, really nothing to complain about. If no comparison, it is really really good. But I am kind of a purist, so for this item, I chose Canon.

Last edited:
Hello conkeychua. Certainly.
I tested both TC at The Camera Workshop at Peninsular Shopping Centre.
Very good, these fellows there. I know them well.
Of course can borrow tripod from them lah. Just bring your own laptop.
The pictures, aiyah... buy and throw already lah. Sorry sorry.
Please go ahead and give yourself a chance to try it out.
Kenko as a 3rd parrty TC, really nothing to complain about. If no comparison, it is really really good. But I am kind of a purist, so for this item, I chose Canon.

Well i guess there should be quite a big price gap between both TCs?

But getting the canon one would give you one less second thought in the back of your mind after you purchase it........ :)

Will take your advise to try it out...

Cheers!

Canon TC can't use on EFS lens. Kenko one , can use on your EFS lens (55-250mm). I chose the Kenko because of this.

Canon TC can't use on EFS lens. Kenko one , can use on your EFS lens (55-250mm). I chose the Kenko because of this.
Hello midicity, if you have notied, TS conkeychua stated in his first posting that his intention is to get a EF 70-200 f/2.8L lens. It is not an EF-S lens.
The Canon Extender 1.4x II is made for lenses 70mm and above.

There is no point using a TC for a shorter lens. A TC is usually good for use in a tele lens. Therefore personally I feel that not many people will buy a TC for their shorter lenses.
Also. because a TC 1.4x will stop down by about 1 stop, a 70-200mm f/2.8L will be stopped down to about f/4. But that is still very respectable for an originally f/2.8 lens. At f/4, one can still use it for many occasions. If an EF-S lens, often the widest aperture at the widest end of the tele is say about f/3.5 or f/4. Therefore once we stepped down by one stop, the aperture may not be so ideal already.

My humble opinion.

Last edited:
Try the Kenko 1.4x 300 teleplus. it's pretty good and cheap.
The glass is made by the THK(Tokina,Hoya,Kenko) which is the world's largest supplier of optical glass so the IQ is quite good. In fact, I can't really tell the difference in IQ between the Kenko and the Canon TCs. Just note that the build quality is not so good with a plastic body and a metal mount.

Hello midicity, if you have notied, TS conkeychua stated in his first posting that his intention is to get a EF 70-200 f/2.8L lens. It is not an EF-S lens.
The Canon Extender 1.4x II is made for lenses 70mm and above.

There is no point using a TC for a shorter lens. A TC is usually good for use in a tele lens. Therefore personally I feel that not many people will buy a TC for their shorter lenses.
Also. because a TC 1.4x will stop down by about 1 stop, a 70-200mm f/2.8L will be stopped down to about f/4. But that is still very respectable for an originally f/2.8 lens. At f/4, one can still use it for many occasions. If an EF-S lens, often the widest aperture at the widest end of the tele is say about f/3.5 or f/4. Therefore once we stepped down by one stop, the aperture may not be so ideal already.

My humble opinion.

Of course I have seen his intention to get a 70-200 f2.8. If you read his signature, it also shows an EFS 55-250. The Kenko is usable on that because I had that combination before and it was still able to focus on a 40D even on tele-end

If he gets the kenko, he can use it on the 55-250 as well as his future 70-200.

There are reviews online that shows the kenko pro 1.4TC to be a very good performer. Almost, or as good as the canon one.

Why not go for something that allows you more flexibility and save you some money as well?

where to get best price kenko 1.4x? :)

Of course I have seen his intention to get a 70-200 f2.8. If you read his signature, it also shows an EFS 55-250. The Kenko is usable on that because I had that combination before and it was still able to focus on a 40D even on tele-end

If he gets the kenko, he can use it on the 55-250 as well as his future 70-200.

There are reviews online that shows the kenko pro 1.4TC to be a very good performer. Almost, or as good as the canon one.

Why not go for something that allows you more flexibility and save you some money as well?
I see, I see. Yes, I understand where you come from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.