70-200 VR or 70-200 Macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

theislandofdreams

Mar 6, 2007
I was thinking of getting one of those 70-200 2.8 lenses (Nikon) and now deciding between Nikon's VR and Sigma's Macro

Nikon's VR more expensive, but it's got VR...
Sigma's Macro seems like an interesting idea, especially when coupled with a teleconverter...

so my question is to those who use either, is the VR that useful? and is the Macro any good?

i'm thinking if i shoot any form of sports i'm going to need a high shutter speed, and i don't see myself shooting anything particularly slow at such a zoom. and i can see myself at least starting to try macro photography

VR useful ? Yes especially at the more telephoto end or in dimmer lightings

Never used the 70-200 macro but i would rather get a dedicated macro lens such as the Nikon 105 or the Tamron 90

* BTW if you really want to have one lens do it all, the Nikon 70-200mm VR becomes a decent macro when u slap a say Canon 500D close up filter

Ryan

getting a cheapo monopod will give you the same result as a VR. so get the macro. :)

getting a cheapo monopod will give you the same result as a VR. so get the macro. :)

but one cannot carry a monopod all the time right...a true macro lens is prefered

I was thinking of getting one of those 70-200 2.8 lenses (Nikon) and now deciding between Nikon's VR and Sigma's Macro

Nikon's VR more expensive, but it's got VR...
Sigma's Macro seems like an interesting idea, especially when coupled with a teleconverter...

so my question is to those who use either, is the VR that useful? and is the Macro any good?

i'm thinking if i shoot any form of sports i'm going to need a high shutter speed, and i don't see myself shooting anything particularly slow at such a zoom. and i can see myself at least starting to try macro photography

The VR is good if you need to handhold. And there's a price difference to these 2 lenses, choose one that you'll need carefully. The Sigma's macro is not a true macro, i.e. the reproduction ratio is not 1:1, it about 1:3.5

With a 2x TC, you get a 140-400mm, but you dun get any enlargement in reproduction ratio or any reduction in focusing distance. You may need a close-up filter or an extension tube to achieve this rather.

Do think about these points and check out more on the pictures from these 2 lenses before you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.