70-200 F4 L IS or non-IS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

with_brokenwings

Jul 6, 2006
the 15th
www.eugene.oepri.com
hi guys

im about to get my frist L lens :D :D and im deciding between the non IS and IS version..

i know the IS version is better than the non IS but does the price difference justify the benefits?

what do you guys think?

thanks!

EF 70-200 mm f/4L IS USM =
EF 70-200 mm f/4L USM + EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM + EF 50 mm f/1.4 USM.

I will buy 3 lenses rather than 1 damn expensive f/4L IS !

Depends on what you shoot more i guess. If you can flash then chances are you wont need the IS... I still think for me its either go for f/4 or 2.8 IS :D

I am not sure if you are able to buy 3 lenses with the price of 1 IS lens though, but you should be able to get either the 50 f1.4 or the 85 f1.8. IS proved to be very useful at times when you are doing low light. In the past, I can only hand hold minimum 1/90 at 200mm, but with IS, you can go low as 1/20.

Really depends on you and what you shoot.....

Personally i'm hoping that the IS version will push prices of the non IS version down (ok probably fat hope ;p)........but i digress

if u can afford the IS version u might wanna consider the 2.8 instead. Else go for the f4 non-IS if you're on a budget. But hey, don't take my word for it cos I'm basing on my needs and it could prob. be a bad choice for you....

u might wanna state what u intend to shoot.....

Discussed till death.. if you think after getting the non-IS, you will keep wishing only if you had the IS version, then get the IS one! :bsmilie:

Anyways, get the IS one if you feel you need to shoot indoors or low light... used both before and simply loved the IS one as i shoot indoors and events. :thumbsup:

Discussed till death.. if you think after getting the non-IS, you will keep wishing only if you had the IS version, then get the IS one! :bsmilie:

Anyways, get the IS one if you feel you need to shoot indoors or low light... used both before and simply loved the IS one as i shoot indoors and events. :thumbsup:

Got IS can turn it off. Got no IS, if need where to find? :bsmilie:

I believe the F4L non IS has some issues, so may need to look out for a good copy..
If u have the budget for F4L IS, why not go for the F2.8L non IS? I have seen comparisons between F4 non IS n F2.8 non IS, both shot at their widest, the f2.8 gives better IQ..
And stopped down to F4 on the f2.8L... of cos no need for comparison. Just a suggestion ;)

I believe the F4L non IS has some issues, so may need to look out for a good copy..
If u have the budget for F4L IS, why not go for the F2.8L non IS? I have seen comparisons between F4 non IS n F2.8 non IS, both shot at their widest, the f2.8 gives better IQ..
And stopped down to F4 on the f2.8L... of cos no need for comparison. Just a suggestion ;)

zuikoku : i believe f4 IS is only like 1.7+ at most. i don't think it's enough to buy "EF 70-200 mm f/4L USM + EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM + EF 50 mm f/1.4 USM." =)

XC Pictorial : i agree with you. i would rather go for a 2.8 rather than a f4 IS. i already thought of this when it first came out but i really depends whether you really NEED it or just a buy and not really use case. if you don't see yourself using this lens during low low light situations. a f4 would be okay for you?

zuikoku : i believe f4 IS is only like 1.7+ at most. i don't think it's enough to buy "EF 70-200 mm f/4L USM + EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM + EF 50 mm f/1.4 USM." =)

I got f/4L IS price around $2100 (after conversion)
on f/4L.. I got $1000
50 mm f/1.4 I got $500
85 mm f/1.8 I got $525
All of them in new 100%
:)

That's why I wrote that equation.. :)

yeap

but given the choice, might as well get 70-200/2.8L NON IS.

yeap

but given the choice, might as well get 70-200/2.8L NON IS.

Logical choice..
Have you used it for long hours ? (i.e 2-3 hours handhold?)
I've been using IS version of f/2.8 around 2 years and hold it more than 1 kg lens (exclude camera body weight) will cause micro-shake since your hand will not steady again. (Blurry image)

Canon is very smart to embedd IS module to create new model of IS version of 70-200 f/2.8L

Although the non-IS version of f/2.8L is sharper than IS one... on low light situation we need steady hand or at least monopod help.. :)

hey all!

thanks for all the input. haha

oky.. firstly, i'd address what i intend to shoot. well, more street photog and portraitures.. but i'd like one that can do decent like, macro type lens.. ive read reviews and found the 70-200 so far is a great general all purpose lens... so only deciding between IS or non IS...

about the F2.8, i find the weight a bit of an issue since i'd like to walk around and shoot, maybe for hours on end.. so thats why im willing to give up the F2.8 for the F4.. used the F4 before.. liked it alot. and also, price la. hahaha. F2.8 a lil pricey.

so yeah.. just wondering what u guys think.. IS or non IS.. got me lots to think about.. thanks.

xc pictorial: u said "I believe the F4L non IS has some issues, so may need to look out for a good copy.." care to elab?

If you're considering between the IS and Non-IS, this means you can afford the IS version. In this case, you should go for the IS. It will definitely be more versatile vs the non-IS , esp in low light conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.