7.1MP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziffy

May 26, 2009
samanthadelina.blogspot.com
Hey all,
I am new to this forum. :)

Yeah, any idea how to make pictures look good with a 7.1MP casio exilim compact digital?

:) Ok!
'Cause my friend told me I take really sucky pictures... hopefully I get to learn abit by reading this :)
grab a book or magazine and look at the pictures.

:) Ok!
'Cause my friend told me I take really sucky pictures... hopefully I get to learn abit by reading this :)

Well, the easiest answer would be "it's not the camera, it's what's behind the camera".

That being said though, without seeing your pictures, it's hard to say if it's you or the camera. Even if you get everything right such as composition, subject isolation, etc etc, there may be unwanted effects from the equipment - And I must admit, I've seen some pretty ugly pictures from the Casios.

Know the limitation of your camera and avoid situations you know it cannot handle. I use to use a Casio too, upgraded to DSLR recently. But some of my fav shots are shot using the Casio. Take note of noise and sharpening artifacts though.

Last edited:
do lots of photoshopping

Hey all,

Yeah, any idea how to make pictures look good with a 7.1MP casio exilim compact digital?

read up on photography basics,

there are good pictures shot with any megapixel camera, the basis is

1) composition
2) quality of light
3) understanding of your tools

To add on the above, what are your friend's comments, know what they are and improve it.

For instance, I seen people (not in this forum) consistently taking blur or dark pictures without any success of improvement. Or consistently blow the exposure of the pics.

One reason being, they can't be bothered to know how the camera sees and relies on camera LCD to do the viewing. The camera LCD cannot be trusted for quality because they are small (must zoom in preview to see blur).

For a start, you must know how to take clear and sharp pictures onto the computer view.

Hey all,

A couple of common compact camera tips:

1. Use low iso, i.e. 100 or 200, as higher iso on the small sensor's, create lots of "unwanted" noise.
2. Use optical zoom. Digital zoom doesn't really do anything that Photoshop couldn't do and do "better".

A couple of common compact camera tips:

1. Use low iso, i.e. 100 or 200, as higher iso on the small sensor's, create lots of "unwanted" noise.
2. Use optical zoom. Digital zoom doesn't really do anything that Photoshop couldn't do and do "better".

Casio can go as low
As 50 ISO I have 1 also 7.1 mp

To add on the above, what are your friend's comments, know what they are and improve it.

For instance, I seen people (not in this forum) consistently taking blur or dark pictures without any success of improvement. Or consistently blow the exposure of the pics.

One reason being, they can't be bothered to know how the camera sees and relies on camera LCD to do the viewing. The camera LCD cannot be trusted for quality because they are small (must zoom in preview to see blur).

For a start, you must know how to take clear and sharp pictures onto the computer view.

Very true ... I know of a friend who insists on not using flash for indoor shots as he feels that flash is too harsh on the photo. As a result, most of his shots are blurry. But somehow he thinks that's ok. :)

In a pinch, with a compact camera, sometimes you can try using a tissue or something to help diffuse the flash, so it's not so harsh.

Hey! Thanks all for being so helpful... I've always thought high ISO means nicer pictures... :/

Bigger isn't always better... at least we like to tell the gf's that. :sweat: :)

What exactly is ISO anyway? :/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_ISO

"Film speed is the measure of a photographic film's sensitivity to light, determined by sensitometry and measured on various numerical scales, the most recent being the ISO system. Relatively insensitive film, with a correspondingly lower speed index requires more exposure to light to produce the same image density as a more sensitive film, and is thus commonly termed a slow film. Highly sensitive films are correspondingly termed fast films.
In digital camera systems, an arbitrary relationship between exposure and sensor data values can be achieved by setting the signal gain of the sensor. The relationship between the sensor data values and the lightness of the finished image is also arbitrary, depending on the parameters chosen for the interpretation of the sensor data into an image color space such as sRGB."

If.... only if you still cannot understand the whole chemstry of ISO from wiki. Think of this as analogy to remember (but not actual reason).

At iso100, is like laying a piece of paper with icing sugar. Very fine and clean.
iso400, you lay with same paper with fine sugar. A bit rough but still fine.
iso800, you lay it with coarse sugar
iso1600, small rock sugar.

On the bigger sensor (CCD) and smaller sensor noise vs iso perspective is like viewing that piece of sugar laid paper from diff distant. The small sensor camera is looking at the paper closely and you see the grains more. View further away (bigger sensor cam), the grain gets less obvious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.