6GB & 12GB CF cards anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore / Taiwan
www.myviewfinder.net
Pretec group (based in Taiwan) has announced that they are beginning shipment of sample 6GB rugged CF cards soon while a 12GB version is set for demostration by 2nd quarter next year. According to the report, these cards have a sustained read speed of 8MB/sec and write speed of 7MB/sec (about 52x & 46x respectively)

Here's the press release:

Pretec demonstrates 6GB Rugged CF card

Highest Capacity, Most Reliable, and Fastest in the world

Computex Taipei, Sept. 22, 2003 – Pretec Electronics Corp., the 2nd company in the world offering CompactFlash memory card (CF) since 1995, today demonstrated the world’s 1st 6GB CF card at Computex 2003 (Booth # G225, 226, 293, 294 in Hall 3, A21).
PRETEC has been shipping 3GB CF card since 2002, which is the highest capacity in the world up until now. 6GB CF card will start sampling next month at US$7499 :bigeyes: , and mass delivery by the end of this year. Pretec 12GB CF card is planned for demonstration by the 2nd half of next year.
Pretec Platinum CF Card is constructed with precision mechanics and full metal protection for the first time to the consumer market from 128MB to 6GB. It is originated from the military and industrial grade CF card technology that Pretec pioneered a few years ago, the bending test conducted by reputable institute proves that Pretec Platinum CF card is 3 times better than regular plastic CF card in the market. Pretec also today announced the availability of Secure CF card, the 1st in the world to adopt CF security command enabling users to protect their confidential data through specific application software; the availability of ruggedized CF card with optional security CF card makes Pretec CF card to be the most reliable CF card in the world.
The sustained read speed of 8MB/sec and write speed of 7MB/sec makes Pretec 6GB CF card one of the fastest in the world; as the search for speed is never ending, Pretec will keep launching higher speed CF card in the coming quarters.

(News courtesy of dpreview.com)

... more news on CF barcode readers, SD camera and SD presenter

wow! these cards are expensive...

OMG, the price is sky high too. It's probably going to attract the professionals that shoot at events/weddings without having to carry extra cards. :)

I don't think consumers will be buying any of those soon. 6GB @ USD$7499 will allow the consumers here to get a DSLR + medium range of lenses !!! :devil:

espn said:
OMG, the price is sky high too. It's probably going to attract the professionals that shoot at events/weddings without having to carry extra cards. :)

I don't think consumers will be buying any of those soon. 6GB @ USD$7499 will allow the consumers here to get a DSLR + medium range of lenses !!! :devil:

i rather be like u .. get an X Drive .. can save more. Afterall, i don't feel too save to store all pics in one CF card. :bsmilie:

For that price I would rather buy a 17" Apple Power Book G4 and download my images to it during lunch or dinner time. C'mon, let's face it, everyone thinks that more is better but I have been using my IBM 1gb Microdrive and I hardly ever fill up the card in a day's shoot! I still got 2 more 256mb compact flash which I seldom get to use. So what is with these 6gb and 12gb cards?

In another words, although a 6gb or 12gb card provides better portability, but in terms of practicality and money well spent I would rather lug along a Power Book G4.

Andy Ho
My Clubsnap Gallery

i cant imagine if the CF card suddenly corrupted and you already have 5GB of pictures in it :sweatsm:

Larry said:
US$7499?!?!?!? :faint: :faint: :faint:

Dont faint/worry, by the year 2005, this card will be on sale at US$74.99, when everyone will be going for the 20GB titanium electronmagnetic shielded CF.

However, by then, Canon latest dslr - 1dxpro is 6 terra pixels per RAW file. Still insufficient.

:bsmilie:

Astin said:
Dont faint/worry, by the year 2005, this card will be on sale at US$74.99, when everyone will be going for the 20GB titanium electronmagnetic shielded CF.

Status
Not open for further replies.