6D or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference between 6D and 1100D is rather huge, other than size wise. The most important difference is the sensor size and the difference in image quality.

But now that we all know that ur current camera is 1100D, we have a tremendously important & practical question for you - do u have EF (NOT EF-S) lens? The 6D can only use EF Lens and no EF Lens. So if u dont have EF lens, you might have to factor in the cost to buy these lens. In general, EF lens are much more expensive.

noise performance, at 800 iso the image starts to go soft and grainy and at 1600 noise can be seen
that is why i wanted to go FF, because the quality at high iso is better

Last edited:
noise performance, at 800 iso the image starts to go soft and grainy and at 1600 noise can be seen that is why i wanted to go FF, because the quality at high iso is better
while it's true that the 6d can produce more usable images at ISO 1600, there are also other options such using a prime, or some controlled lighting.

noise performance, at 800 iso the image starts to go soft and grainy and at 1600 noise can be seen

You will get noise at high iso, regardless of sensor format. The only issue is the amount of noise and your final output format.

If you want to push your 1100 abit further, can consider using some noise reduction software (depending on the output format, the nr can be less aggressive so as not to affect the details) or if it's possible, use additional lighting like flash.

Otoh, going for ff, the cost isn't going to be cheap. As mentioned by other, EF lens usually costs more than EF-S lenses. Do take this into consideration to see if the 'little' bit you gain is justifiable for the upcoming amount you will likely be spending.

Last edited:
What noise reduction do you use? In-camera (which settings)? Software at computer (which one, what settings)? Do you shoot RAW or JPG? Are you pixels peeping at 100% zoom or working at the size of the intended output?
I have used the ISO800 images of my old 350D, used Lightroom when it was at version 2 and the results were pretty good. The results from your cam should be much better.
Do keep in mind that downsizing pictures will reduce the noise and increase sharpness. What looks noisy at full size will look better at screen size.

if you don't really make large prints often or selling your works, there is very hard to justify the spending on better camera body, just to get better noise control.

noise will be more obvious if the images are underexposed and mostly occur in shadow areas, try get more accurate exposure and exposed for the shadow areas without blown highlight light.

noise can be reduced and add a little sharpening during post production.

try spend some time improve your exposure and post production skills, than decide later if you really want to spend the money.

I had the 1100D before and I know how bad the noise can be. I understand TS POV and I think if he needs a better noise control camera he should go ahead with it. Most of the replies were asking him to change to prime lens and improve on PP but the fact is that FF has better noise control. And if he knows what he needs then I say he should go for it. And to add on using a FF with prime and improved PP skills still beat the APSC.
And also sometimes we can't just compare ISO based on numbers alone because different genre will affect too...example shooting landscapes in a APSC sensor at ISO 1600 with minor cropped for composition and shooting a small bird using FF at ISO 1000 with heavy cropped. Do u think the final output for FF will be less noisy?

even at 6400 iso the raw file is still usable , i am happy user with 6d..

if u don mind the 11 af which is a down

6D has the best noise control in Canon (even better than 5DmkIII) at the moment. If high ISO noise is what bothers TS, TS should go ahead with the 6D. it is fabulous. As for the number of focus point... frankly doesn't matter, it should be more or less the same as 1100D that TS used and can even focus better at darker area.

Don't wait for mkII, because nobody know when it is going to be release... the wait can never be over if you gonna go to that. Just go ahead if it suits your budget and buy the 6D :)

Thanks for the replies, i think i am going to jump into FF.

Status
Not open for further replies.