Status
Not open for further replies.

zguy

Jan 10, 2003
Singapore
www.sgwetplate.com
hi guys

as from :
"WHILE surfing the Net at about 2 am on Monday, Mr Tan Wei Teck stumbled upon an offer he could not believe - $66 for a Hewlett Packard laserjet printer that normally sells for $3,854 before GST."

if it is a DSLR going for $66, would u place an order for 180 sets and cried hell when it turn out to be a genuine mistake and the eshop wont honour the deal?

slightly different... if a shop stick a wrong price tag on their products, are they obliged to sell at that price ? :dunno:

slightly different... if a shop stick a wrong price tag on their products, are they obliged to sell at that price ?

Legally they have the rights to refuse selling of any products to any customer. BTW, with the exception of the handphone deal, I think HP did the right thing. How can you cover your manufacturing cost of that printer at SGD66.00? Let alone other cost such as logistic, transportation and etc.

By refusing the honour the deal, HP also eliminates people who will be making large profit by re-selling their product. Just imagine some got 100 units of the printer and making 1000% profit it later selling to others.

-FND->

Originally posted by Newbiez
slightly different... if a shop stick a wrong price tag on their products, are they obliged to sell at that price ? :dunno:

Nope, but if they really did, they can say the accessories not included must buy piece by piece, or price for the display dummy set...

Originally posted by zguy
hi guys

as from :
"WHILE surfing the Net at about 2 am on Monday, Mr Tan Wei Teck stumbled upon an offer he could not believe - $66 for a Hewlett Packard laserjet printer that normally sells for $3,854 before GST."

if it is a DSLR going for $66, would u place an order for 180 sets and cried hell when it turn out to be a genuine mistake and the eshop wont honour the deal?

When things turn out to be too good to be true... it usually are.
It's an ethical question, especially if the buyer know it shouldn't be selling at that price.

If I come across such deal, I might order if I don't know the market price and is affordable at that time. If they cancel the order, no big deal.

unless it is an online store...where transaction all handle by computers...so once the payment is completed, the store is oliged to deliever

Originally posted by FND

Legally they have the rights to refuse selling of any products to any customer. BTW, with the exception of the handphone deal, I think HP did the right thing. How can you cover your manufacturing cost of that printer at SGD66.00? Let alone other cost such as logistic, transportation and etc.

By refusing the honour the deal, HP also eliminates people who will be making large profit by re-selling their product. Just imagine some got 100 units of the printer and making 1000% profit it later selling to others.

-FND->
for the singtel shop case it is because singtel has already send out email to acknowledge the transaction so they cannot refuse selling. it will be different if the transaction has not be auto acknowledge

Originally posted by Snowcrash

Nope, but if they really did, they can say the accessories not included must buy piece by piece, or price for the display dummy set...

dun think HP / digiland want to get into more trouble by doing this...

Originally posted by PsychoBoy

for the singtel shop case it is because singtel has already send out email to acknowledge the transaction so they cannot refuse selling. it will be different if the transaction has not be auto acknowledge

actually same goes to HP case too, some of those who paid by Credit card were charged too

Originally posted by Snowcrash

When things turn out to be too good to be true... it usually are.
It's an ethical question, especially if the buyer know it shouldn't be selling at that price.

yeah, it is quite clear it is a ethical issue. but some ppl just dun get it...or dun have it :rbounce:

They are NOT obliged to sell. Price tags at stores are considered as "Invitation to Treat". They invite consumer to make an offer to buy the item.
When consumer offers to buy and they accepts the offer, then it's a deal. Even if the consumer offer to buy at a correct price, the seller have the rights not to sell.
For more info ... http://www.fraudbureau.com/articles/lawbeat/article3.html

* Correct me if i'm wrong.

Originally posted by aosis

They are NOT obliged to sell. Price tags at stores are considered as "Invitation to Treat". They invite consumer to make an offer to buy the item.
When consumer offers to buy and they accepts the offer, then it's a deal. Even if the consumer offer to buy at a correct price, the seller have the rights not to sell.

You are darn right... Let me guess... Did Mr Pillai say this??

Originally posted by nivlekx

You are darn right... Let me guess... Did Mr Pillai say this??
Who is Mr Pillai ?

Originally posted by Wai

dun think HP / digiland want to get into more trouble by doing this...

Anyway, this online store is from "digiland", hp need not have to oblige...

in case anyone is concerned....

the shops are not obligated to honor...

The Singtel saga was just singtel playing the goodie...

If u check, they have amended their terms n conditions of sale...

And from what i learnt in B.Law lectures....

So long either party can prove that its an unfair deal,
they have the right to recind their deal/transaction.

Even tho it has been paid for.

I cant remember the exact case precendent, but there was a case abt a lawyer who bought a house from his client at a lower price den mkt offer....

The client founds out that he lost alot due to the sale to his lawyer...n in turn goes to court to get his home back....

He wins....becos he was able to prove that it was an unfair deal n it was made under undue influence....

However, if the lawyer in turn sells the house away...den it would be another story all together...

:)

Originally posted by aosis

exactly!

Originally posted by Revo
in case anyone is concerned....

the shops are not obligated to honor...

The Singtel saga was just singtel playing the goodie...

If u check, they have amended their terms n conditions of sale...

And from what i learnt in B.Law lectures....

So long either party can prove that its an unfair deal,
they have the right to recind their deal/transaction.

Even tho it has been paid for.

I cant remember the exact case precendent, but there was a case abt a lawyer who bought a house from his client at a lower price den mkt offer....

The client founds out that he lost alot due to the sale to his lawyer...n in turn goes to court to get his home back....

He wins....becos he was able to prove that it was an unfair deal n it was made under undue influence....

However, if the lawyer in turn sells the house away...den it would be another story all together...

:)

well as for this case which you've cited, its a totally different scenario from the $66 printer error case.

Here, the client would definitely win if he can prove that he sold the house under undue influence from the lawyer plus its also a question of ethics on the lawyer's part.

If its out in the market & the client had sold to someone else & there was no undue influence whatsoever, even if he later realised its a bad price he sold it at - its just too bad for him.

Just some 2 cents...
Do you think that online purchases favour the seller more than the buyer?
Just imagine that the roles were reversed:

That a $66 printer was sold for $166 due to a technical pricing glitch (not due to Digiland selling the printer @ a more expensive price), and that many consumers had bought a much more expensive printer.

Do you think that Digiland would reimburse the affected people?

That's why in online purchases, it's always caveat emptor.

I will never wanna buy from digiland again...they are so lousy. i will also spread the words around to all I know that Digiland is not a very good online to buy from cos they don't honour their words. It's consider their fault since they did not check the price properly. They are liable to honour the deal.

Originally posted by Encino
I will never wanna buy from digiland again...they are so lousy. i will also spread the words around to all I know that Digiland is not a very good online to buy from cos they don't honour their words. It's consider their fault since they did not check the price properly. They are liable to honour the deal.

I presume you are one of the people that bought the printer.

I believe that when any person bought the printer for $66, he/she must have known that it's a pricing error.

So I don't see the justification why they should force Digiland to honour the deals, when they know that in the first place it's obviously a pricing error.

People who take advantage of these "cheap deals" are surely hoping that their CC gets charged, so that the company has no choice but to honour the deal.

People usually blow the matter up by going to the press, blah blah... Just to hope that the affected company honours the deal. The past companies (Dell, Singtel) honour the deals not because not because they are obliged to, but out of goodwill.
And there are people who are buying like 100 odd sets at one go.
It can be obviously inferred as to what they are going to do with the sets. Set up a printing centre? :rolleyes:

So who you you think is playing dirty tricks here, the company or the consumer who buys the printers?

Status
Not open for further replies.