60mm Macro or 35mm for Food Photography

winzee

Apr 17, 2008
Hello!

I currently own a 35mm Nikkor prime, and have been using it mainly for food photography.

Any views on 60mm macro vs 35mm for food photography?

Thanks in advance!

I use a 60mm 2.8G for food photography.. Sometimes the distance frm the lens to my subject can be quite tight..

I use a focal length of between 40-50mm for my food photography. So far so good...

depends on the angle of view that you like. With a longer focal length you will have less background which might or might not enhance your shot, only you can decide

Hello!

I currently own a 35mm Nikkor prime, and have been using it mainly for food photography.

Any views on 60mm macro vs 35mm for food photography?

Thanks in advance!

If you have been using 35mm Nikkor prime for food photography, I believe that your camera is DX ?

Then I suggest you to use AF-S DX Micro 40mm f/2.8G.
This is one of the sharpest lens for DX body.

Focal length of AF-S Micro 60mm f/2.8G maybe a bit too long for DX body, unless there is enough space between the food and yourself.

I use the 35mm f/1.8G for the same purpose and it works well.

I wouldn't think you would gain significantly more from the 60mm f/2.8 macro.

With Micro-Nikkors you can shoot one strand of french fry ... :bsmilie:

You should have both.

I sold the 60mm af2.8d for 45tilt shift.

Then i sold 45t-s for the 70-180 micro.

Using fx, need to find a comfortable working distance.

Sometimes 35mm is helpful for a general shot.

Suggest u get 1 lens tat allows u to have narrow DOF for those sexy close ups n isolated mood shots and maybe a wider lens for general 'whole outlook' shot.

If in a bind over budget, suggest u get a 35mm n a 50mm(using reverse mount for close ups).

Last edited: