60D or 7D

weeloong

Jan 4, 2011
Hi,

I'm currently using a 550D...

Thinking of upgrading my body... choices are between the 60D and 7D.

From what I know, the differences in terms of IQ is very minimal between the 2.

The faster shoot speed of the 60D, I can live with and the vari-angle LCD is also a plus point, however, it seems that for a little more dough, I can get even faster shooting speeds and a ultra fast focusing system...

So.. I'm in a dilema here... I mean if the 7D had a vari-angle LCD, I have no qualms buying it straight away..

Is my obsession with the vari-angle LCD too much?

I think call it Articulating LCD will be more appropriate.

I love such LCD to be very honest...

I am a 7D user and I am still loving it, I have not use 60D.

From what I know about 60D is its body does not feel as solid as 7D,

7D is using dual processor and has highest FPS.

This 3 items will make me lead toward 7D still.

I think call it Articulating LCD will be more appropriate.

I love such LCD to be very honest...

I am a 7D user and I am still loving it, I have not use 60D.

From what I know about 60D is its body does not feel as solid as 7D,

7D is using dual processor and has highest FPS.

This 3 items will make me lead toward 7D still.

something to add on, 7D has viewfinder covered 100% which I think it is a great plus point... It Viewfinder is also brighter then 60D if I am not wrong...

What is is that you are missing out with your 550D that you want/need? Don't just look at features alone, you need to know whether you need/want them. Do you find that you are constantly frustrated that you can't shoot in weird angles without straining yourself? If so, then it's pretty clear you want the 60D. However, if it's only a once in a blue moon thing, chances are you don't really need that articulating screen.

100% VF just looks so much better.

What is is that you are missing out with your 550D that you want/need? Don't just look at features alone, you need to know whether you need/want them. Do you find that you are constantly frustrated that you can't shoot in weird angles without straining yourself? If so, then it's pretty clear you want the 60D. However, if it's only a once in a blue moon thing, chances are you don't really need that articulating screen.

Not sure if you ever use articulating LCD before or are you using one now before you make this statement.

Not sure if you ever use articulating LCD before or are you using one now before you make this statement.

Yes I was using the D5000 before the D90. I did make use of the articulating function when I had it, but I don't miss it now. The combination of the bad design (hinging it at the bottom instead of the side) and the slow AF in live view mode made it not very useful. There are definitely some angles that are much harder or even impossible without the articulating screen, but I find that not having it is not a deal breaker. It's something that I don't use very often.

The 60D's articulating screen is better designed than the D5000's as it is hinged at the side, but it still suffers from the problem of slow AF.

Last edited:
Hi,

The faster shoot speed of the 60D, I can live with and the vari-angle LCD is also a plus point, however, it seems that for a little more dough, I can get even faster shooting speeds and a ultra fast focusing system...

So.. I'm in a dilema here... I mean if the 7D had a vari-angle LCD, I have no qualms buying it straight away..

If you are after shooting speeds (fps), how fast do you need? 5fps or 8fps. If you need 8fps, you need 8fps... If you don't need 8fps, just settle down with 5fps or your existing 3fps....

Yes I was using the D5000 before the D90. I did make use of the articulating function when I had it, but I don't miss it now. The combination of the bad design (hinging it at the bottom instead of the side) and the slow AF in live view mode made it not very useful. There are definitely some angles that are much harder or even impossible without the articulating screen, but I find that not having it is not a deal breaker. It's something that I don't use very often.

The 60D's articulating screen is better designed than the D5000's as it is hinged at the side, but it still suffers from the problem of slow AF.

If I had 60D's articulating screen, I will be using it differently to prevent the oil from my face from hitting the screen while looking thru the viewfinder :bsmilie:

If you are after shooting speeds (fps), how fast do you need? 5fps or 8fps. If you need 8fps, you need 8fps... If you don't need 8fps, just settle down with 5fps or your existing 3fps....

If I had 60D's articulating screen, I will be using it differently to prevent the oil from my face from hitting the screen while looking thru the viewfinder :bsmilie:

For the D5000 you can't do that because there's no top LCD screen. If you flip the screen back, you can't see your settings. Well, you can, in the viewfinder, but the viewfinder is not exactly very big.

Hi,

I take it that you already know what you are missing in your 550D that you need or wanted from 60D or 7D.

My advise is... go down to the shop and have a feel of both the cameras. 7D is significantly heavier than the 60D and is larger too. Bulk and weigh is very important, especially when you are shooting for the whole day and/or needing to pack the camera in your camera bag, the smaller and lighter your camera, the easier it is to carry it around.

I am using the 7D right now, I loved it... but I find it quite heavy for my liking...

If you dont mind changing to a nikon, then, D7000 is superb! I am a 60D user and its quite troublesome to change mode as you have to hold a button to turn the modes around. 7D's construction is also better than a 60D.. But still, i love my 60D , idk why. Hahah!

I sold off my 600d because of its plasticky / toyish feel and noisy shutter. 60d was a turn off, 7d expensive.

Nikon d7000 was home for me, love it so much.

Just to add more info... compared to 60D, the 7D has / is :
- AF micro adjust (useful if you need to calibrate / tweak your lens focus)
- Magnesium body (in case one day you want to be a war photographer :p)
- Weather sealed (but I saw some diagrams on the net showing weather sealings on 60D .. dunno true or not. Take this with a pinch of salt)
- If memory serves me right, 7D has more AF points & 'smarter' AF system
- More buttons for more direct control / operations

The rest are like what others have pointed out; heavier, more FPS, no articulating LCD, etc..

Why not share with us what do you shoot normally? Actually I think 550D can shoot many things if your techniques are there. I have used 500D for sports, birding with manual lenses, etc. Better technology allows you to get the shots you need at a higher rate but doesn't mean you can't without them.

If you need 8fps instead of 6 (for 60D right?), 19 cross pt af, faster processing speed then 7D is for you. The weather sealing is more valid if you have weather sealed lenses. My 500D survived from rain, etc...weather sealed doesn't mean weather proof.

Otherwise I would opt for 60D for the screen. It helps in creatives compositions and also street photography if you are not the daring type to point the camera directly at the people to shoot. Not forgetting useful for video if you use it.

100% viewfinder on 7D is nice to have but you are coming from 550D so I suppose you are used to the 95% coverage so continuing with 95% doesn't do any harm.

My vote goes to 60D for general usage.

60D is good for general use. save the $$$for lens. I think many said that too :bsmilie:

I've always favored the Canon 7D over the 60D. The LCD screen of the 60D is mildly useful to me, but the 7D has so much more to offer.

Well...I have the 60D & it has served mi well...nothing much to complain.But if you money to spare,I would suggest you jump straight into FF...the 5DMK2(New or Used),since the 5DMK3 is out...now is the time to get the MK2.Just my 2 cents.

Hi,

Thanks for all the response..

I'm now the proud owner of a 60D. Allows me to shoot faster than my 550D and the tilt LCD to aid in weird positions.

In the end, the weight, and needs decided for me. I wanted a faster cam but didn't need the 8fps, I'm not really a sports shooter so the ultra focusing system will have to wait.

Also, I decided to get rid of my 550D (which has served me so well) Becuz I din want to to depreciate further.

I do intend to go FF, but will wait for the 5DM4 to come out then I can go for the M3 hahaha. 5DM3 is so almost a perfect camera... Slurp...

Congrate in getting your 60D, it is a great camera. Have fun with it:)