60D + 17-55mm IS USM or D7000 + Tamron 17-50 VC + some other accessories

MarcoFrias

Oct 19, 2010
Hello..

I am new to Clubsnap and would like for some comments and advise...

I do have around 2700-3000$ budget for buying my first DSLR. I do have background and experience on shooting film and DSLRs.. I used to have a Minolta X-7... and have tried out and borrowed from friends DSLRs such as D60, D80, D90, D200, and D300s... So, as you see mostly I have used Nikon DSLRs.. So, I have saved up enough cash to be making my first purchase...

Though, i am not from Singapore I will be visiting singapore around December or January...

My plan is to buy either of the following:

1) 60D + 17-55mm IS USM
2) D7000 + Tamron 17-50mm VC + 50mm 1.8D + extra accessories

Choice (1)one is a bit of the expensive side not allowing me to purchase a whole lot of extra accessories.. I opted to choose a lens with an f-stop of 2.8 for low light stuff and a general walk around lens.. Choice number (2) TWO allows me to get some extra accessories like a flush gun + some extras like SD cards ( class 6 cards or better) maybe a tripod, filters UV (most important), extra battery and maybe a bag thinking of a think tank retrospective..

With the Choice 1 i know body + lens alone will cost me 3,000++SGD.. with choice two I will just spend around 2800-2900... give or take a few accessories (like a tripod which i can readily buy when i go home).

Any opinions? My choice would be a CHOICE NUMBER 2... But I am wondering if 3rd party lenses a good choice...

If you guys could also.. I heard SLR Rev is a good shop to buy at or even at TK photo.. If you guys could help me with some known prices and customer reviews about the shops It would be really nice... Any other shops that you guys could advise me is also appreciated...

Any help is appreciated.

We have a list of priceguides and recommended shops in our Priceguides section. I suggest looking there.

Also, why have you limited your choices to the 60D and D7000?

because those are the bodies I wanted... the pro bodies like the d300s are heavier and I have lugged around the d300s for good amount of time shooting an acquaintance party just a few months ago.... Plus, I am looking for the best bang for the buck bodies And i think the two are the best I see... Since, I can not purchase new bodies every year.. It may take me around 2-3 years after....

We have a list of priceguides and recommended shops in our Priceguides section. I suggest looking there.

Also, why have you limited your choices to the 60D and D7000?

yeah but which shops do you prefer and advise? When i was in singapore I didn't check out photography stuff.. I instead checked out pc parts and skate stuff.. So, shopping in singapore for camera gear is a new experience which I prefer not to a horrid experience..

Well, those two are the best "Bang for the buck" from Canon and Nikon, though your $ will go a LOT further if you look beyond those two brands.

FYI, the 60D is in the same camera league as the D300S, so it will be about the same weight. The D7000 should be somewhat lighter, though you won't get the articulating LCD screen.

yeah but which shops do you prefer and advise? When i was in singapore I didn't check out photography stuff.. I instead checked out pc parts and skate stuff.. So, shopping in singapore for camera gear is a new experience which I prefer not to a horrid experience..

The most recommended shops are MS Color, SLR Revo (they have a HUGE new shop on the 4th floor of Funan) and Cathay photo.

Have you considered the 60D + Tamron 17-50mm? This should set you back about 2k, with the rest going into a flash, 50mm f1.8 and some accessories.
Nikon side i'm not too familiar so I cant comment.

Well, those two are the best "Bang for the buck" from Canon and Nikon, though your $ will go a LOT further if you look beyond those two brands.

FYI, the 60D is in the same camera league as the D300S, so it will be about the same weight. The D7000 should be somewhat lighter, though you won't get the articulating LCD screen.

hmmm, isn't it that the 60D is aimed towards the D90? and the 7D is aimed towards the D300s? 60D is actually full plastic with metal interior? and actually I just prefer Nikon or Canon.. And Nikon being heavily preferred.

The most recommended shops are MS Color, SLR Revo (they have a HUGE new shop on the 4th floor of Funan) and Cathay photo.

Heard about SLR revo and CAthay photo.. heard though CAthay photo has the highest prices in funan or peninsula area... MS Color though I might have to check out the place and get to Ang Mo when I arrive... or I might just give them a call when I arrive..

Last edited:
hmmm, isn't it that the 60D is aimed towards the D90? and the 7D is aimed towards the D300s? 60D is actually full plastic with metal interior? and actually I just prefer Nikon or Canon.. And Nikon being heavily preferred.

If you heavily prefer Nikon, go Nikon...

But yes, the 60D is a "step back" in many ways, especially in terms of build.

If you heavily prefer Nikon, go Nikon...

But yes, the 60D is a "step back" in many ways, especially in terms of build.

yup.. I might just go wth choice 2... So, which shop would be a good idea? Funan is actually more convinient? do you guys think it is worth going to MS color Ang Mo first before heading to Funan? or the either way around?

yup.. I might just go wth choice 2... So, which shop would be a good idea? Funan is actually more convinient? do you guys think it is worth going to MS color Ang Mo first before heading to Funan? or the either way around?

Going to MS Color is not too difficult. It's right beside the AMK MRT station. Personally, I would go to MS Color due to the price and service.

Alternatively, you can go to the website and request for a quote if you want to get some pricing. This will give you a good indication whether it's worth travelling to Ang Mo Kio or not. So far, I've purchased all my cams from MS Color. Don't really have any experience else where.

BTW, where will you be planning to stay in Singapore?

Going to MS Color is not too difficult. It's right beside the AMK MRT station. Personally, I would go to MS Color due to the price and service.

Alternatively, you can go to the website and request for a quote if you want to get some pricing. This will give you a good indication whether it's worth travelling to Ang Mo Kio or not. So far, I've purchased all my cams from MS Color. Don't really have any experience else where.

BTW, where will you be planning to stay in Singapore?

prolly around Bugis.. well I have only stayed near bugis for when I go to singapore for the past 10 years.... So, I know where to ride and never get lost.. Actually I never get lost any more in singapore lol... I might try phoning MS color when I get there.. is this advised? then head to funan to compare prizes?

Yeah, sounds like a plan.

Yup I might just do that.. :) Now to find my MRT cards... I hope they still work

There are newer ones issued. Your older cards may not work.

Is D7000 available already?

I think it's not fair to compare D7000 with 60D. They are not in the same category. D7000 looks closer to 7D, except that it takes SD cards. Anyway, if I were you, I would pick D7000 with Tamron 17-50mm non-VC. Keep the balance for a fast prime lens and flash as you know what's your needs better later.

However, I might be bias, because I am a Nikon user ;-)

Is D7000 available already?

I think it's not fair to compare D7000 with 60D. They are not in the same category. D7000 looks closer to 7D, except that it takes SD cards. Anyway, if I were you, I would pick D7000 with Tamron 17-50mm non-VC. Keep the balance for a fast prime lens and flash as you know what's your needs better later.

However, I might be bias, because I am a Nikon user ;-)

Well, I am actually totally leaning on the D7000. but why a Non-VC? why not get the VC? I think I am actually getting as well a 50mm

There are newer ones issued. Your older cards may not work.

damn it.. Then I have to buy new ones then... 15$ aint that expensive though

Well, I am actually totally leaning on the D7000. but why a Non-VC? why not get the VC? I think I am actually getting as well a 50mm

For those copies that I have tested, the non-VC version is sharper at f/2.8 and I feel that VC for this focal is not mandatory. Personally, I wouldn't go for the 50mm as the 17-50 has already covered this focal length. But that's me and that's the reason I suggest you start shooting first before deciding which prime lens to get. I am using the 17-50 non-VC and the 105mm VR Micro at the moment and I find this combination sufficient for my needs.