600D w/ Tamron 17-50f2.8 or 28-75mm F/2.8

Aug 18, 2010
As above, i am wondering which is more versatile? I am going to Taiwan during my eoy holidays and i am wondering is there any different between them other than the range? i am interested in landscape, closeup shots and portrait shots. Budget for the camera and the lens around 1.5k, haven't buy yet though. i looked up at tamron website but cant find much different about them. >< anyone can help? price between them is roughly the same right? Thanks.

As above, i am wondering which is more versatile? I am going to Taiwan during my eoy holidays and i am wondering is there any different between them other than the range? i am interested in landscape, closeup shots and portrait shots. Budget for the camera and the lens around 1.5k, haven't buy yet though. i looked up at tamron website but cant find much different about them. >< anyone can help? price between them is roughly the same right? Thanks.

If u wan more on landscape I think 17-50 will be better cos 28 will be abit tight for landscape.

Ps last ask a month back 17-50 non vc will cost around 600+ I got my 28-75 earlier this month at 555

Last edited:
Both also okay. But I would go for 17-50 for general purpose and a 55-250mm for short telephoto (very good at subject isolation) and to catch some further away objects.

Last edited:
If u wan more on landscape I think 17-50 will be better cos 28 will be abit tight for landscape.

Ps last ask a month back 17-50 non vc will cost around 600+ I got my 28-75 earlier this month at 555

okay thanks, i am also interested in doing street photographing. and sometimes i find 17mm or 18mm very wide. so you got both of this lens? anw which shop you buy your lens from?

Last edited:
Both also okay. But I would go for 17-50 for general purpose and a 55-250mm for short telephoto (very good at subject isolation) and to catch some further away objects.
i dont think i will be shooting that far of a subject. still deciding. i dont really like to keep changing lens when i am with my family. 28-75 seems like a good choice but will sometime miss the wide angle. :(

i dont think i will be shooting that far of a subject. still deciding. i dont really like to keep changing lens when i am with my family. 28-75 seems like a good choice but will sometime miss the wide angle. :(

Another excellent choice would be Sigma 17-70mm (S$6xx) but it had a variable aperture. The good thing is, its OS is excellent and it is pretty sharp when you step down the aperture. I have a copy of the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 OS and liked it alot. Although nowaday I am using prime and my 70-200mm more often.

Since you opt for one of the either lens, I'll vote for 17-50 on your 600D, 28mm on 600D is equivalent to 45mm focal length (35mm format) which result losing all the wide for landscape.

i see, but i prefer fixed aperture of f2.8 :) but there is not different between the 2 lens only the range right? what prime you using?

The 17-50mm is a crop lens while the 28-75mm is a full frame. If you think u will get a full frame camera in future, then go for the 28-75mm. Even if you decide to sell the 28-75mm in future, there's a bigger market because the both "full-framers" and "croppers" can use it. 17-55 is limited to the crop camera users.

The 17-50mm is a crop lens while the 28-75mm is a full frame. If you think u will get a full frame camera in future, then go for the 28-75mm. Even if you decide to sell the 28-75mm in future, there's a bigger market because the both "full-framers" and "croppers" can use it. 17-55 is limited to the crop camera users.
so to say 28-75mm a ff lens can fit on 600d? hmm.. still deciding! tough decision!! ahh!

Since you opt for one of the either lens, I'll vote for 17-50 on your 600D, 28mm on 600D is equivalent to 45mm focal length (35mm format) which result losing all the wide for landscape.
i see, thanks for the advice. btw do shop allow you to try out the lens before buying? i feel like trying out and see the 2 different first before buying.

this is nothing to pull your hairs out for.

just get the 17-50.

i see, but i prefer fixed aperture of f2.8 :) but there is not different between the 2 lens only the range right? what prime you using?

I am using a 28mm and 100mm mostly for my street shoot. And nowaday I use quite a bit of my 70-200mm lens too. In the past, I used alot of my 300mm (+1.4x teleconverter) for wildlife shoots too, less so nowaday. So... yeah. Actually it all depends on your style of photography. and yes, both the 17-50mm and the 28-75mm lens are pretty similar in terms of sharpness (both have excellent sharpness - center). as someone had mentioned before, the 28-75mm lens is made for full frame, but I would not recommend that for FF user because the corners are quite soft... for cropped camera, it seemed alright though.

Anyway if you are certain that you would not be taking far off objects and using the 600D, 17-50mm will be a fabulous choice.

i see, thanks for the advice. btw do shop allow you to try out the lens before buying? i feel like trying out and see the 2 different first before buying.

I think they do allow you to try out first... of course you have to test the lenses before buying... And it would be good that you test both lens to see if you like the wideness and range of the lens. But it would only be a couple of minutes test. One suggestion, if you are not too urgent in need of these lens, you could actually rent both first and have at least 1 day of use to see which one suits you better. Then go to the shop and do a thorough test on the lens you want before buying that lens (you can check out some of the thread here on what to look out for when testing the lens before buying).

okay thanks, i am also interested in doing street photographing. and sometimes i find 17mm or 18mm very wide. so you got both of this lens? anw which shop you buy your lens from?
just saw this reply, i got my lens from slrr.. so far the price is the lowest..

oh an a reason i got 28-75 is becos i have a UWA and i dont mind to change lens when go oversea..
if you dont have a UWA think 17-50 will be a better choice..

Hmm...if u mention..landscape, closeup shots and portrait shots. Then ill go for the 17-50.
But if possible for you to add alittle more budget..you can get a 18-200 or 18-250..This kind of lenses are usually very useful since it cover from wide to a good zoom range..and you dont have to keep changing your lenses on the move. Not too expansive..and not too heavy. : )

My humble opinion is if u don't intend to shoot indoor/low light, get 18-200 for travel. Definitely very convenient. Else the 17-50 is great :)

well if you dont mind grey set, the price is much cheaper than local set =)