6 years for Germans to build two boats.

Buying military hardware is not like buying handphone, obsolete yearly :bsmilie: ... look at RSAF's F15SG... the airframe may be old... but the weapon system and electronics are still good and more advance to most planes in our region...

Same for the Sub... the frame may be old... but who knows what advance system that is hidden inside that body... :think:

At least we know Thyssenkrupp doesn't have any links with Hogwart. They build the sub using earthly raw material and took them 6 years.

In my previous company I work for, a 200+ m tanker took a Jap company 5 yrs to build. I guess the sub is more complicated than a tanker.

Their 5 yrs forecast in board meeting, always filled with new tankers name.

Last edited:
Well, a submarine is not a car and it takes a bit more to build one. There are not produced and stacked and stored somewhere.
Secondly: Singapore is not the only one ordering this type of ships. So the 6 years might just consist of some waiting time.
Go a bit easy on your assumptions ..

Buying military hardware is not like buying handphone, obsolete yearly :bsmilie: ... look at RSAF's F15SG... the airframe may be old... but the weapon system and electronics are still good and more advance to most planes in our region...

Same for the Sub... the frame may be old... but who knows what advance system that is hidden inside that body... :think:

Agree. D70 with a D4 sensor.

The initial Sjöormen class SSKs was already more than 32 years old when recomissioned as the Challenger class and thus in service for approximately 47 years.

This is hardly surprising as the RSN has an excellent relationship with Kockums, a subsidiary of ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems (TKMS) going back all the way to the early '90s if not for the fact TKMS actually barred Kockums from exporting not too soon after it was brought over just several years ago. Anyway an excellent rule of thumb is as long as the Israelis has them (new Dolphin Mk. II class SSKs based on similar designs), chances are that we will be getting our hands on it too. Looking forward though to the day when we eventually fabricate possibly our own A26 class right here in the Singapore Technologies (ST) Marine, Benoi shipyard.

Last edited:
The German will install Leica lens periscope for our submariners to look at bikini babe at the beach while underwater :bsmilie:

Leica M3 'Royal Dutch Marine' Model, 1966

According to Leicashop® auction references, this camera type was delivered to the Royal Dutch Marine (to 'Odin' on January 17th, 1966) with special mount for submarine periscopes, metal front-cap from Leitz, wooden-box marked 'Koninklijke Marine 1966' on the rear, very rare military camera by Leica. The price for this rare piece of Leica Military-spec body has an indicative auction buy-now price of EURO 1,500-00 a few years ago

Last edited:
A typical car dealer make 15-30% margin. Someone is getting very fat cheque from this deal.

A typical car dealer make 15-30% margin. Someone is getting very fat cheque from this deal.

Yeah so? Think they are a charity?

Just that only a fraction of it arrives in the dealer's wallet. There are more bills to pay before that ..

I hv confidence in German technology.

The rocket invented by von Braun is still in use today.:bigeyes:

It's not entirely German ?

"ST Electronics, a part of the ST Engineering group and Atlas Elektronik will co-develop tailor-made combat system for the submarines."

It's not entirely German ?

"ST Electronics, a part of the ST Engineering group and Atlas Elektronik will co-develop tailor-made combat system for the submarines."

Correct. Because of proprietary technology that SG has in it's ships (mostly software).

ST? Proprietary technology? Omg. Give me a break! Really spoil the soup with these 2 ingredients added. LOL