6 in 1 Card Reader @ $59 at PC Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

drafting88

Feb 17, 2002
Woodlands
Visit site
I havent bought a DC yet but will be buying it very soon.

Is it necessary to have the card reader? Or can the image files be transferred to the computer direct from the DC without the need for the card reader?

TIA.

It's not necessary to have the card reader. You can transfer the images from your DC to the computer via USB cable :)

Save your money on the card reader and use it to buy camera accessories instead.:)

unless you want to use it to transport data (eg , like floopy disk) or it's a firewire version (faster transfer speed)

so speedwise, transferring via a card reader and transferring via the camera's usb cable is the same?

Originally posted by butters
so speedwise, transferring via a card reader and transferring via the camera's usb cable is the same?
yes, should be almost the same. Only thing is transferring via camera require the camera to power up .. so comsume battery a bit

My experience:

I use downloader from Breezesys.com to download my images.

Using usb card reader (PQI brand, Taiwan made), my speed averages only about 0.33Mb/s.

Using my G2 camera, the speed attains at an average of about 0.38Mb/s.

The speed is slightly faster for the in-camera downloading.

The only think I find useful in having a card reader is that you don't need to install any driver for the digital camera. As most Win OS from 98SE onwards (except 2000, I think) can auto detect Card reader and use the driver that come with the OS itself.
I also heard someone in the forum said that it is possible to recover deleted photos in the digital camera if use a card reader to access it and some using some software. But I not sure but this:dunno: .
And I think unless you r transfering more then 64MB of of photos into the PC, the time taken to transfer shouldn't drain that much of your digiCam power, but if you battery is totally flat, then you will have connect up the power supply. Suddenly realise that my Digital IXUS, don't have a DC socket :( , meaning can't powered by any other means except it rechargable batteries.
And because the reader I had is pocket size and USB powered, sometime I just use it to transfer files between work place and home.

Originally posted by Trevor_Tan
The only think I find useful in having a card reader is that you don't need to install any driver for the digital camera. As most Win OS from 98SE onwards (except 2000, I think) can auto detect Card reader and use the driver that come with the OS itself.
I also heard someone in the forum said that it is possible to recover deleted photos in the digital camera if use a card reader to access it and some using some software. But I not sure but this:dunno: .
And I think unless you r transfering more then 64MB of of photos into the PC, the time taken to transfer shouldn't drain that much of your digiCam power, but if you battery is totally flat, then you will have connect up the power supply. Suddenly realise that my Digital IXUS, don't have a DC socket :( , meaning can't powered by any other means except it rechargable batteries.
And because the reader I had is pocket size and USB powered, sometime I just use it to transfer files between work place and home.

Actually, 98SE do require the card reader driver. But 2000 and XP can autodetect the card reader if it's "mass storage compliant" (most are) and will use its built-in drivers. Not so sure about ME though. So far I've tested Sandisk and NCP and they both worked well under 2000/XP without installing drivers.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Actually, 98SE do require the card reader driver. But 2000 and XP can autodetect the card reader if it's "mass storage compliant" (most are) and will use its built-in drivers. Not so sure about ME though. So far I've tested Sandisk and NCP and they both worked well under 2000/XP without installing drivers.

Regards
CK
Hee hee, the one I had works the reverse way. For win98SE, ME and XP all can autodetect (even Mac OS 9 and above) but for 98 and 2000 need to install the drivers.
Guess not all the readers performs the same.

Originally posted by Trevor_Tan

Hee hee, the one I had works the reverse way. For win98SE, ME and XP all can autodetect (even Mac OS 9 and above) but for 98 and 2000 need to install the drivers.
Guess not all the readers performs the same.

Probably not compliant enuff. :D

Regards
CK

those that need a card reader and needing to upgrade their computer can consider the Abit IT7 which has a card reader option. Problem is that the IT7 has no Com ports so its out for me... wonder if there are other M/B which can support card readers.

Argh... I got a Imation FlashGo for S$120.

Originally posted by Goondu

Does the FlashGo comes with internal Flash memory?

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.