5dmk2 Shutter Count

Gerald Lam CK

Jul 2, 2009
Admiralty
glamphotography-ck.blogspot.com
Hi...is there a way to check my cam shutter count easily or instantly? a 5dmk2 lifespan is roughly how much? I read it can go beyond 100k though..not sure if any of urs went beyond this?

Hi...is there a way to check my cam shutter count easily or instantly? a 5dmk2 lifespan is roughly how much? I read it can go beyond 100k though..not sure if any of urs went beyond this?

Yes you can by using online app by uploading a photo in the following article or download and use ExifTool to manually read the Exif data of a photo shot with a digital camera.The shutter count is embeded in it.

If you look up the stats on the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, for example, the camera might be rated for 100,000 shutter actuations but the real world data gathered in the database indicates that the camera typically makes it to around 232,000 actuations and in the sample size out of 133 cameras in the 250,000-500,000 range 90% of them were still going with well worn, but functioning, shutters.

In short, if you’re worried about a climbing shutter count on a camera you already own we’d advise you to not stress about it and just save a little extra money back here or there in a rainy-day fund for the replacement camera you’ll inevitably need. If you’re buying a used camera, however, and the seller insists that it’s practically brand new when it’s rocking a shutter count of 100,000+ then you definitely want to either pass on it altogether or demand a very steep discount.

From the original article here.

Last edited:
Yes you can by using online app by uploading a photo in the following article or download and use ExifTool to manually read the Exif data of a photo shot with a digital camera.The shutter count is embeded in it.

From the original article here.

Hi one eye jack, i tried and there is an error msg...seems like my 5dmk2 not compatible? I used a jpeg unedited pics but cannot. any idea why?