5D3 vs D800

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Now that the Canon EOS 5D Mark III is out of the box, can't wait for a shoot-off between the two.

Last edited:
The 5D3 also seems to be very"video heavy".

I think it's a pretty fair fight as for now. Each has its own pros and cons. 5D3 has 61 focus points whereas D800 remain unchanged from D700 with 51, 36Megapixels from D800 and 23 from 5D2 etc. A little disappointed that D800 does not implement the custom user settings like the D7000. Both canon 5D2 and 5D3 has 3 customisable user settings.

Cowseye said:
My bet is still on the MP and F/8 AF point from D800. Plus the $599 USD savings :)

5dmk3 really lose out to d800... Canon need to wake up!

totally love the D800... but the batt grip price is kinda turning me off... batt grip is a must for me

I think 5diii has better ISO as they REALLY emphasize their 2 stops improvement. If it is really 2 stops better than 5dii, I think should be really good.

Hopefully nikon still win on DR because of the improved sony sensor.

vizuel said:
totally love the D800... but the batt grip price is kinda turning me off... batt grip is a must for me

How much?

I think 5diii has better ISO as they REALLY emphasize their 2 stops improvement. If it is really 2 stops better than 5dii, I think should be really good.

Hopefully nikon still win on DR because of the improved sony sensor.

Download the samples to see lor. Canon:EOS 5D Mark III|Sample Images & Movies

Someone on Nikon Rumours said the 5D3 still not very good at high ISOs, but idk, I never download the samples to see.

Anyway, regarding focus points, I think 51 alr enough la, just make the AF system better (faster, more accurate) can already. What for have so many focus points if all very slow/not accurate? IIRC a lot of people complained the 5D2 focus system very lousy, 7D much better.

Last edited:
Can only wait and see leh..

Setting through the menus is somewhat slower than using the top knob. That's just my POV.Maybe for lazy people like me hahah. Infact 51 focus points IMO is more than enough already. So 61 is like wow. Overkill?

61 AF pts from Canon might not mean better faster focusing than Nikon. If the 5D3 still uses the old 5D1 AF system which the 5D2 also uses, you'd soon see alot of users complaining in the forums about its focusing just like what happened to 5D2. Nikon AF system not only focuses faster, but also accurate and able to focus in very low light.

Wait till all the cams are released then see how they fare...

Taken from Canon announces EOS 5D Mark III 22MP full-frame DSLR: Digital Photography Review
The EOS 5D Mark III utilises the same 61-point wide-area AF system as the flagship EOS-1D X, providing exceptional sensitivity, precision and speed. One of the most advanced AF systems currently available, it features an impressive 41 cross-type points and five dual cross-type points, providing unsurpassed accuracy across the frame. The customisable AF pre-sets introduced in the EOS-1D X are also available, helping the capture of traditionally challenging subjects, and providing additional reliability in ituations where subject movement can be unpredictable.

Nikon D800 Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review
As before, with lenses of f/5.6 or faster, 15 of its 51 AF points act as cross-type: sensitive to both horizontal and vertical detail. The 9 central focus points will continue as cross type when used with lenses with a maximum aperture of between f/5.6 and f/8. The D800's central AF point will still operate as a cross-type point with lens or lens/converter combinations with a maximum aperture of f/8. In addition, 10 AF points retain horizontal sensitivity at this aperture. In the diagram above, cross-type sensors are indicated in orange.

What is there to fight ?

I am totally sold on the d800 just by the specs on paper..hehe

Does it really matter which is better?
Canon users will still buy Canon because they already bought the lenses, Nikon will still buy Nikon for the same reason..First time buyers will not buy either as both are way too expensive for a first time buyer…so ultimately, whoever wants whichever camera is going to buy that camera, whether it's better or not doesn't matter.

Taken from Canon announces EOS 5D Mark III 22MP full-frame DSLR: Digital Photography Review

The EOS 5D Mark III utilises the same 61-point wide-area AF system as the flagship EOS-1D X, providing exceptional sensitivity, precision and speed. One of the most advanced AF systems currently available, it features an impressive 41 cross-type points and five dual cross-type points, providing unsurpassed accuracy across the frame. The customisable AF pre-sets introduced in the EOS-1D X are also available, helping the capture of traditionally challenging subjects, and providing additional reliability in ituations where subject movement can be unpredictable.
think we should look at the hands-on prereview take on the AF system rather than Canon's PR dept's write-up... taken from Canon EOS 5D Mark III Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review:

The biggest single upgrade on the 5D III is its autofocus system, and it's the area that most needed it. The original 5D's 9-point AF system seemed a little under-specced when it was launched, so its reappearance in the Mark II was a considerable disappointment, especially when the 7D arrived a year later with a much more sophisticated 19-point setup. The 5D III's AF eclipses both, gaining the 61-point AF sensor from the company's flagship 1D X.

It's not the entire 1D X AF system - because the 5D III doesn't have the 1D X's 100,000 pixel metering sensor to gain tracking information from, nor a dedicated Digic 4 processor to make sense of it all. However, even without them, it's still one of the most comprehensive AF systems on the market and, most importantly, brings the camera much closer to the level of contemporary Nikons.

good but not exactly 1DX... how it measures up in real life will have to be seen when it is finally out, but should be a big step forward over the 5DmkI and 5DmkII... and incidentally, in their move to develop the body seemingly in the spirit of the 7D rather than the 5DmkI and 5DmkII, they seem to have brought the 5DmkIII's build quality up to Nikon's Dxxx level of body solidity...

on both sides, they attempt to fix their supposed shortcomings: for Nikon, lesser MP and no video, etc; for Canon, AF and build quality, etc... so I think both the 5DmkIII and the D800 are going to be solid products for their respective companies...

the usual advise still applies: wait for reviews of actual shipping products, look at what you need and what you already have, then make your decision :)

Last edited: