5D vs 7D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramius75

Nov 21, 2005
A bit curious about the difference between a 5D and 7D beside the LCD and price. Why is the 7D so much more ex?

I was comparing it in Dpreview and cant find anything different. So is a 5D a better buy ?

A noob here, but i dont mind reading technical stuffs, thanks :D

p/s: How about comparing 5D with the Canon 350D ? ;p

The 5D, at least to me, is more of beginner to amateur camera. It's really not a camera for more serious or professional photography.

Not designed for studio use
  • No PC sync socket
  • No manual flash ratio for onboard flash
  • No tethered shooting mode
You'll need a 5600HS(D), PCT-100 or a FS-1100 with a IR trigger to do studio work.

Ergonomics & functionality
  • No vertical grip
  • Only one command dial
  • Two or more touches for most adjustments
Others
  • Smaller buffer (3 vs 9 for RAW+JPEG, 10 vs 15 JPEG-Fine)
  • No LCD protection cover
  • Lower resolution LCD
There are some improvements the 5D has over the 7D.

Pros of the 5D over the 7D
  • Improvement in most of the menus and displays
  • Magenta/green correction in manual WB
And for most of the other features, whatever is in the 7D, the 5D has it. Whether it has crippled performance? I'm not sure. For its price, I think it's worth the money.

Unless you are planning to go further with a DSLR, then 7D is the choice. And with a price tag of slightly below $1900, the 7D is now more worth it than a year ago. It does have some flaws being the first KM DSLR. But its replacement is coming soon. :)

Hope this helps.

7D is better build and able to take a bit more workload than 5D.

If you concern about the price as well as image quality and only use it for taking snap shots of everyday stuff, 5D will serve you well...

To compare 350D and KM 5D, I will still like the 5D better, the color is much better it has better ergonomic for the camera. Image quality is almost identical.

I have 2x 7D and put through about 2000 shots a week and don't really have problem until it hit 50,000 shots, where one of the camera needs AF adjustment, but that was it, it was done in 24 hrs anyway.

I love my 7D... plan to get 3rd 7D and sell the oldest of the 2 that I have...

Regards,

Hart

i see, thanks guys. learned something new :)

KM5D has anti-shake, and I SWEAR by it.

If a person buys a EOS350D/KMD5D, then he/she is not likely to be able to afford fast lenses (yes, big, BIG assumption here). The effective 3-stop increase in shutter speed means a LOT to those who only use slow consumer lenses.

synapseman said:
KM5D has anti-shake, and I SWEAR by it.

If a person buys a EOS350D/KMD5D, then he/she is not likely to be able to afford fast lenses (yes, big, BIG assumption here). The effective 3-stop increase in shutter speed means a LOT to those who only use slow consumer lenses.

A newbie qn...

Does KM 5D anti-shake works only with Minolta lens?

In other words, does KM 5D anti-shake work with third party lens also?

The AS is on the body itself. So it will work with the lens attached to it, be it Minolta or 3rd party.

shyanyap said:
A newbie qn...

Does KM 5D anti-shake works only with Minolta lens?

In other words, does KM 5D anti-shake work with third party lens also?

Yeah, most lens works, atleast for the common ones (Bayonet A mount). But in the manual, it has specified that there are a couple of the Minolta AF lens does not work well with the AS.

For more info, download the manual from KM site. This way, you could also thoroughly run through the good and bad of the camera. ;)

i am still waiting for the new firmware for 7D...

i wan the auto rotation of images taken... a 5D have, how come 7D dun have? is that really hard to recode?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i am still waiting for the new firmware for 7D...

i wan the auto rotation of images taken... a 5D have, how come 7D dun have? is that really hard to recode?

If it does not sell them more bodies, they won't do it...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
den i think time to boycott minolta... :angry:

It's time to buy a new body actually...

Why do you need a new camera?

I mean, 7D is good enough, I don't see the needs to change it...

Ah well, don't have the money for that anyway, I would rather buying a SSM lens.

Hart

@ 5D owners.

Hi, read about some reviews that the Autofocus isnt very accurate. Is that a real problem?
Also whats the startup time for the 5D ? Thanks :D

Ramius75 said:
@ 5D owners.

Hi, read about some reviews that the Autofocus isnt very accurate. Is that a real problem?
Also whats the startup time for the 5D ? Thanks :D

Good enough but certainly not the best around.

TME said:
Good enough but certainly not the best around.

Im thinking of getting this or the 350D, so they must at least be much better than my FZ20 lah. :0

Ramius75 said:
Im thinking of getting this or the 350D, so they must at least be much better than my FZ20 lah. :0

Both are definitely better.... way way better... no fight at all between the FZ20 and entry level DSLRs...

TME said:
Both are definitely better.... way way better... no fight at all between the FZ20 and entry level DSLRs...

ok, will take note. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.