5D Mark ll / 7D / Sony NEX-7

Vampire Slayer

Nov 9, 2011
Hi! I would like to invest in a good camera and dun wish to upgrade to any body in the future unless there is a need. I want to shoot wedding photos and movie using the camera for my future career as a wedding photographer and videographer. I've read alot of reviews and forums all over the internet and still can't decide. Please help me and enlighten me. :(

imho

if you have no intention of upgrading the body in the near future, strike out Sony Nex-7

so that leaves you between 5D and 7D. both are excellent cameras and have it's pros and cons which i am sure you have read. invest on something that you can afford. dont forget to add all the accessories and lenses into the equation.

personally 7D should be good enough, however if you can afford, go for 5D.

last but not least, always remember this, camera is just a tool. it's the person behind the camera that truly makes the difference.

1st: They are all good camera.
2nd: Nex7 is not a DSLR. But is capable to perform just like 1..E mount lens lineup is not that impressive yet but with the new apdater LA-EA2 u can use all A mount and get the fast AF.. camera is small and light too. easy for traveling.
3rd. Do you need a full frame? if not..you can strike off 5D..if yes..then 7D n Nex is out.
4th. Above 3 camera have video function.
Have you hands on? Reading is just the first step..you need to try them out..it helps. Nex7 you might have to wait abit..unless you can get it from elsewhere.

Get the 5DmkII... or its replacement that might be coming soon. These are FF camera and had excellent video function. 7D is good but was not a FF camera.

If cropped sensor are not an issue for you, do look at Sony's A77, Nikon's D7000 and Pentax's K5... all of which are excellent camera and all of them have excellent video mode too.

The listed ones are all capable cameras. The rest is up to the photographer.

However, a few things would rule out the NEX7 at this moment
1. Not avaliable (as far as the info/rumour goes, its delayed due to flood damage to the facilities in Thailand)
2. Interface and handling not proven in a high stress, demanding pace situation like weddings (since few real users have it atm)
3. Not enough native lenses (esp those with fast aperture)

Out of the 3. 5DII would be my top choice given its FF sensor for a bit more DOF control, resolution and ISO performance. Does industry standard videos too.
There is also the D700 (FF, 12mp, very good high ISO performance).
Don't rule out the other APS-C cameras as well. The Pentax K5, D7K, 7D all can do very well at lower cost with ISO performance that is so close to the FF sensors to be negligible at normal viewing sizes and prints.

I have been meddling with camera equipment for so many years and I have learnt that there's never a perfect "all in one" piece of equipment. If there is, then the camera company would have gone out of business already. And you also will not see the clubsnap "buy and sell" section being so active as it is now.

When u actually go into the hobby/career and have hands on experience, you will come into limitations very now and then.

It's ok if you are doing it for as a hobby for fun, coz you can find alternatives without spending too much money. But if you care doing this professionlly, then it's a different story altogether.

Canon DSLRs and Sony nex 7 cameras are not maLlookde to be video cameras. They are still cameras with a video function. They cannot take videos for a long continous period of time. The camera will automatically stop after a couple of minutes. You need a dedicated video camera for the job.

Yes you can take short clips and combine them into a full length movie. But what if the wedding couple are already into the action and you missed some important shots(some scenes cannot be recreated).

In any business, appearance is the most important factor. You are judged by your appearance first. Unless you are already famous, you need to look good. For example, take a western food store at a old woodlands area coffee shop and a 5000 square feet restaurant at marina bay sands. The woodland food store may serve better food but the MBS restaurant already won the customers'' mind.

Same, if your potential client see that you are using a small nex 7 for their bridal shoot.... Hmm...

I want to shoot wedding photos and movie using the camera for my future career as a wedding photographer and videographer.

I would be very curious to see the client's reaction if you cover the whole wedding photography with solely on a single Sony NEX-7 which for some layman may just take it as a PnS? Till date I have yet to see a photographer who did that for a paid & commissioned wedding photography.

Is any NEX photographer out there, doing that currently? If yes, I am very interested to know.

I've decided to get the 7D due to my budget cause the 5D Mark ll kit lens is too ex for me. I will use this camera for the time being to build up my portfolio and when i have the spare cash, i'll upgrade to a FF camera next time. I read that 7D lens mount is EF/EF-S. So if i buy all the EF lenses, next time my FF camera also can use it. But what will the pic look like in the 7D with a EF lens? Will it be the same as having the crop factor?

i've got a feeling, that this thread stinks of Canon. it's a feeling you get when you look at the 1st 2 posts and notice something

I've decided to get the 7D due to my budget cause the 5D Mark ll kit lens is too ex for me. I will use this camera for the time being to build up my portfolio and when i have the spare cash, i'll upgrade to a FF camera next time. I read that 7D lens mount is EF/EF-S. So if i buy all the EF lenses, next time my FF camera also can use it. But what will the pic look like in the 7D with a EF lens? Will it be the same as having the crop factor?

The 7D will give you the same image as the 5D, just a narrower (cropped out) view of it, that's all :)
7D has APS-C sensor, with crop factor of 1.6x compared with the FF sensor of the 5D.

You can mount EF and EF-S lenses on all the xxxxD, xxxD, xxD, and 7D cameras.

i cant help question myself, with the question you ask, a budding videographer and photographer, asking the above question in bold... i mean dont u do a bit of research... u know... like google, learn about FF and Crop-factor...

anyway good luck with ya endeavour... :)