5D classic vs D90

Marcusluvsgreen

Feb 4, 2012
Changi
Ive been planning to upgrade from my D3100 for sometime now, done my research on both the cameras. Ive found loads of information on the D90 but there seems to be a very limited knowledge base for the 5D1, only a few technical sheets but no real consumer reviews. Thus I'd like to hear from the forum :) on which camera would benefit me more. Price does not really matter as long as under 1.5k and also, ive got no issue switching over to cannon. I do loads of street and landscape photography.
My real dilemma is weather or not the really old 5D1 levels with the D90 and weather the "newer" technology in the D90 is a worthy tradeoff for the FF in the 5D1

Ive been planning to upgrade from my D3100 for sometime now, done my research on both the cameras. Ive found loads of information on the D90 but there seems to be a very limited knowledge base for the 5D1, only a few technical sheets but no real consumer reviews. Thus I'd like to hear from the forum :) on which camera would benefit me more. Price does not really matter as long as under 1.5k and also, ive got no issue switching over to cannon. I do loads of street and landscape photography.
My real dilemma is weather or not the really old 5D1 levels with the D90 and weather the "newer" technology in the D90 is a worthy tradeoff for the FF in the 5D1

once u go FF u never go back. hah hah hah.

i got no experience with the D90. no idea what new technology it has. I only care about the outcome of my photos.

+1 for 5D

bear in mind... if u decided to switch camp, u need to sell all your Nikon gears.

I think moving to 5D is better.. Just that it's an old camera...

is like comparing a 3000cc old car and a new 1000cc car.

it will be never the same once have you driven a 3000cc car, whether is new or old.

im 15... i dont know car terminology
for full frame camera, will need lenses usable on full frame body, which will cost higher then DX lenses, are you willing to spend more money on these? beside, the whole set up is more bulky and heavy, are you willing to bear with that?

last but not least, is a need or just a want?

I am willing to bear with the costs and the added weight of a FF setup. Its a semi need semi want i suppose. Ive been shooting with many AFD lenses with my D3100 and even though the MA is manageable its starting to get on my nerves. I desperately need a BIM camera to fully utilize AFD or EF which is the cannon equivalent. I've been shooting at a couple social gatherings and the inability to exceed 800 ISO without excessive noise is just frustrating.

Also, about the 5D1. Ive read that it wont AF anywhere outside the circle in the middle. True?

I am willing to bear with the costs and the added weight of a FF setup. Its a semi need semi want i suppose. Ive been shooting with many AFD lenses with my D3100 and even though the MA is manageable its starting to get on my nerves. I desperately need a BIM camera to fully utilize AFD or EF which is the cannon equivalent. I've been shooting at a couple social gatherings and the inability to exceed 800 ISO without excessive noise is just frustrating.

Also, about the 5D1. Ive read that it wont AF anywhere outside the circle in the middle. True?

Have you tried using flash instead? or perhaps a big aperture prime (e.g. f1.4)?

*There is no cannon equivalent....*

The two cameras are not in the same price bracket.
5D should be in the 1.2k range and D90 in the 700-900 range.

For the price of a old, used 5D, you can get a new K5, which is about the same as a D7k but with in camera shake reduction.
Better dynamic range, better iso performance than the 5D.
The 5D is still a good price for FF, where you get shallower dof for the same fov on aps-c though.
I thought of a 5D too as a mf lens FF platform , but dropped the idea after looking at what my K5 already offered me.

:)

In the end though, if the FF itch is too much, the price of the 5D is the best that it can be for a FF system.

+1 for 5D

+1 as well. Way much better than D90. it's FX and weather sealed, higher ISO and alot more. Downside, no pop up flash

Got my 5D classic a few months back, I must say that even for a 7 year old model, it still blows me away! The colours are much nicer to edit compared to my 7D/550D.

Just a few pros and cons (my 2 cents):

Pros:
Full frame
Makes full use of EF lenses
No Auto ISO, forces you to decide beforehand what ISO to use and raises your awareness.
Full frame
Secondhand price for a camera body alone is quite competitive against entry level cameras like the 600D.
12MP sensor = more files on your CF card. Remember to update your firmware so that the cam can accept cards larger than 8GB
Did I mention, full frame?

Cons:
No Live View.
9 point AF with only center cross type.
No Auto ISO, forces you to decide beforehand what ISO to use and raises your awareness.
Extremely poisonous full frame
Viewfinder seems to attract dust more easily
Smaller screen compared to newer cams

Hope this helps!

P.S. I find that I now reach for this old dame first rather than my crop cam, unless I want the extra range and better AF performance that the 7D has.

Last edited:
i think the 5D is a good camera to hone your skills and understanding of a camera.
The handling is no easy pie and no auto iso forces you to be aware of lighting and shadows, not just for the sake of finding a suitable iso to use. it provides me with intimate knowledge of the basics.

btw, i agree fully with stevehuff on the processing and all.

Last edited:
5D for sure.. i am thinking to let go my 7d+17-55mm !

without at doubt..5D...
IMHO, one of the camera with better skins tones around...
old but still in many sense, better than d90...
(im a nikon user btw) :)

Got my 5D classic a few months back, I must say that even for a 7 year old model, it still blows me away! The colours are much nicer to edit compared to my 7D/550D.

Just a few pros and cons (my 2 cents):

Pros:
Full frame
Makes full use of EF lenses
Full frame
Secondhand price for a camera body alone is quite competitive against entry level cameras like the 600D.
12MP sensor = more files on your CF card. Remember to update your firmware so that the cam can accept cards larger than 8GB
Did I mention, full frame?

Cons:
No Live View.
9 point AF with only center cross type.
Viewfinder seems to attract dust more easily
Smaller screen compared to newer cams

Hope this helps!

P.S. I find that I now reach for this old dame first rather than my crop cam, unless I want the extra range and better AF performance that the 7D has.

What kind of Pros and Cons is this? So bias :)