58mm 1.4?..

Ylesiya

Jan 30, 2011
Singapore
Anyone is using this lens? Any personal experience/opinions?
I've been looking at it for a while reading reviews, etc... Although it is not a sharpest lens but by the looks of it, it has really nice 3D feel in the images and great colours which really attracted me. Seemed to me like it would be nice addition to complement my 105mm (I don't have 50mm lens as of now) which would be a good focal length to shoot indoors in low light and outdoors as well of course.
Cons: lack of actual users' opinions, it is rarely sold second hand, hence, I would have to get it new + pricey (although I did not check for the current price yet).
Any opinions?.. Appreciated :)

My favourite 50mm among all the systems. I regretted selling mine back then and bought it again. Its a nice balance of sharpness (>= f2.0) and bokeh, in a decent package. The sigma 50mm art is wayy sharper at f1.4 but its a hefty lens. I like how it renders in low light conditions.

I use it and also have the 50/1.4G. The 50/1.4G is sharper at F/2 and wider apertures, but images look "flat" by comparison.
Love the bokeh and microcontrast of the 58/1.4G.
A crop from the 58/1.4G, taken at F2 on a D750.
Notice the out of focus transitions....
DSC_0917_crop.jpg

It has a 3D effect.
The above pic is SOOC jpg.
I got mine from Key Color, Midvalley KL. No ready stock, so you need to pre-order.
But prices were more competitive than SG.
Got mine in 2016 though, so things may have changed....

Last edited:
I use it and also have the 50/1.4G. The 50/1.4G is sharper at F/2 and wider apertures, but images look "flat" by comparison.
Love the bokeh and microcontrast of the 58/1.4G.
A crop from the 58/1.4G, taken at F2 on a D750.
Notice the out of focus transitions....

Did you try to make sure it does not do front or back focus?
Because from whatever I read in reviews it may come along with focusing problems especially early versions, since you got yours in 2015. After calibrating the focus, it is quite sharp in the point of focus. People reported sometimes they had to adjust focus quite significantly.

What "buys" me from these reviews is that "curved" focal plane which I guess gives that 3D effect that you would want in portraits or other object shots.

I just so rarely see it being sold by anyone - is it because no one is actually buying it? Or because everyone loves it so much that no one wants to let it go?

My favourite 50mm among all the systems. I regretted selling mine back then and bought it again. Its a nice balance of sharpness (>= f2.0) and bokeh, in a decent package. The sigma 50mm art is wayy sharper at f1.4 but its a hefty lens. I like how it renders in low light conditions.

You mean you like how 58mm renders in low light?
At 1.4 your sharpness also suffers?

Did you try to make sure it does not do front or back focus?
Because from whatever I read in reviews it may come along with focusing problems especially early versions, since you got yours in 2015. After calibrating the focus, it is quite sharp in the point of focus. People reported sometimes they had to adjust focus quite significantly.

What "buys" me from these reviews is that "curved" focal plane which I guess gives that 3D effect that you would want in portraits or other object shots.

I just so rarely see it being sold by anyone - is it because no one is actually buying it? Or because everyone loves it so much that no one wants to let it go?

I bought mine this year and it does require some adjustment for focusing, after which it's all good.

This is a special lens which requires spending some time to understand what will work and don't

http://www.samhurdphotography.com/reviews/nikon-58mm-1-4-review-in-depth-lens-review/

The above review made me decided to go for it

I took the liberty of looking at your Facebook wedding photos. The picture of the couple on the right with the Millenium Bridge and London Eye in the background (26 December 2014).
Unless that was the Singapore Flyer and the DNA bridge....
https://scontent-sit4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=5254748e3a92d0a23459073d6b59fea5&oe=5B8C1D78
Bokeh will definitely be much better with the 58/1.4G.
I remember a quote that 80 to 90% of any pic will be areas out of focus.
So it's the out of focus areas that count too.
No calibration needed for my lens.
I corrected my post. I got the lens in 2016.
Earlier copies had more focus issues.

Actually I see it pop up on the Buy and Sell quite often so you could snag yourself a bargain.
But the value of the lens is how much enjoyment you get out of it.
I bought mine new and it is my favourite lens which I use a lot so to me it's good value despite the price. Now that I got the 105/1.4 it is my equal favourite lens :)
Most samples I have from this lens is on the very long Fredmiranda thread which I'm sure you've come across:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1253369
My nick there is Swifty168 so you can do a search if you like.
But here is a more recent thread of mine on another site with 58G samples:
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?156848-Various-shots-with-the-58G

It is sharp, even at f1.4 but not at minimum focus distance. There's a haziness at this minimum focus distance that can be sharpened up but I find it unecessary since it's part of it's character IMO. By around 2m it's mostly gone and is very good around 3-5m. Even at f1.4 it's not bad at infinity either where field curvature flattens. If you require more acuity, it is very good at f2 IMO.
Mine requires around +13 AF microadjust IIRC. Do your calibration at your most used focus distance because it does change based on light colour temperature and focus distance. The focus is quirky and will sometimes frustrate you.
The good news is there are good reports of excellent focus accuracy using on-sensor AF methods via adapter on the latest Sony's. So in future Nikon mirrorless I'm expecting focus consistency to improve via on-sensor AF methods.

On the topic of field curvature, the 58mm is an excellent 'landscape' lens !

And i just saw one 58mm pop up on our buy/sell forum.. so yeah, just watch for it :p

The 58/1.4G lens is lens that you'll grow on to you as you use it. It is definitely not a sharp lens wide open but it is sharper that the 50/1.4G lens when used at f/1.4.

It has some minor soft veiling when used at 1.4 but gets sharper & better contrast when stopped to f/2. Wonderful soft bokeh, nice colors & good contrast.

It does has focusing issues when the subject is placed at the outer half of the frame & outer edges AF point is used for focusing.

Its chief peeve to most was its retail price vs its mediocre optical performance. The Sigma 50mm Art blows it away anytime in the sharpness tests.

Where it shines is its rendition & bokeh.

I had my copy of the 58/1.4G since 2015. No front & back focus issues with my copy though.

Here is a sample of what it can do.

_DFA8894.jpg by Hou Leong Chan, on Flickr