550EX speedlite dropped into fish tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenscape

Sep 27, 2007
My 550EX flash dropped into fish tank due to my negligence :cry: It has been 3 days and still can't fire. Do you think it is worthwhile to repair it? Does anyone has the same experience?

My 550EX flash dropped into fish tank due to my negligence :cry: It has been 3 days and still can't fire. Do you think it is worthwhile to repair it? Does anyone has the same experience?

Did you take out the battery immediately? If not, after 3 days, I'm pretty sure some things would have corroded inside. You can see if Canon is willing to repair under warranty, if not, then it might be more economical to buy a new one.

I think its not worth sending it for repair. Its an old model. It will be costly.

Did you take out the battery immediately? If not, after 3 days, I'm pretty sure some things would have corroded inside. You can see if Canon is willing to repair under warranty, if not, then it might be more economical to buy a new one.

yeah take out the battery and let it dry. who knows.might work ;)

good excuse to buy a 580EX...hehehehehe

Should have taken it out of the fish tank as soon as it was dropped in... (3 days? I hope I'm misunderstanding). Take the batteries out, and wait for it to fully dry before trying to fire.

Get a quotation for repair and see how much it is.

I haven't experienced dropping my flash into water before.

Hi,

Would like to share something interesting...

I experienced something similar to your case, dropped my FL-50 flash into an alligator mangrove swamp in Bintan few months back.

2 days later, brought it back to Singapore soaked my whole flash in boiling hot water to get rid of salt water and salt crystals in the flash. Left it to dry for 3 days, and it worked just fine... even under E-TTL etc.

Unfortunately, it didn't work the next day... =(
Not trying to prove anything, but if you dare to give it a shot it might work XD

Hi,

I experienced something similar to your case, dropped my FL-50 flash into an alligator mangrove swamp in Bintan few months back.

2 days later, brought it back to Singapore soaked my whole flash in boiling hot water to get rid of salt water and salt crystals in the flash. Left it to dry for 3 days, and it worked just fine... even under E-TTL etc.

Not trying to prove anything, but if you dare to give it a shot it might work XD

Woa. Wat inspired you to try that in the first place :eek:
Besides the T/S's tank might not be salt water erh ..

Hi,

This is call curing the dead.....so no harm to the dead:bsmilie:
Check out the repair price. New 580EX should be around $650 (in B&S section).

Ok, I feel better now after reading that a 600mm f4 IS was found swimming in a pond :confused: Compared to my humble 550EX. Thanks for the replies.

I was taking some pictures for my planted tank with flash on top, triggered by ST-2E flash transmitter. Thereafter, I adjusted something in the tank and accidentally hit the flash and it went diving. It fired once in the water and I believe that might have caused a short circuit. Took the flash out immediately and took out all batteries and tried to dry it. Reinstalled the battery and the flash gave a motor sound-'tat tat tat tat. The flash was trying to zoom non-stop. I think it is not completely dry after 3 days and I tested it out for 3 days. LCD screen went mad.. ;(

As suggested, perhaps I should get a quote from CSC.

Anyone wants to sell their 550EX please let me know!

Ok, I feel better now after reading that a 600mm f4 IS was found swimming in a pond :confused: Compared to my humble 550EX. Thanks for the replies.

I was taking some pictures for my planted tank with flash on top, triggered by ST-2E flash transmitter. Thereafter, I adjusted something in the tank and accidentally hit the flash and it went diving. It fired once in the water and I believe that might have caused a short circuit. Took the flash out immediately and took out all batteries and tried to dry it. Reinstalled the battery and the flash gave a motor sound-'tat tat tat tat. The flash was trying to zoom non-stop. I think it is not completely dry after 3 days and I tested it out for 3 days. LCD screen went mad.. ;(

As suggested, perhaps I should get a quote from CSC.

Anyone wants to sell their 550EX please let me know!

really suay..n i bet ur fish was shocked by the in-water "lightning"

That being said, i'm curious about repair costs, if it can be repaired n all... n we can start a thread about accidents like this...good for experience sharing n what not to do in certain situations (plus if the victim doesn't mind, everyone can haha abit)

Sure, jkaiser, will give an update whether I scrap it or repair it. It is very sad if the negligent was done by our part and this foolish incident serves to remind everyone not to be careless with their equipments;(

That's why the set for the tank shoot up is very, very important.

Sorry to hear about the accident. I just sent in my sets to CSC today too. For general checkup and replacement of the scratched plastic covers.

Cheers,

Hi Benny, great to see you here. Even your flash needs servicing
? or your camera & lens?

For all who have shown concerns today, thanks for your comment and advice.

I wonder whether you believe this:--- the flash has just come alive!:bigeyes: I tried the dead flash again just now and i knew it was happening when i saw the AF Beam blinked normally. (before that the beam just light up without blink once batteries were installed even though i did not switch on the flash) When I looked at the LCD, all necessary data was in place. Adjusted the mode and it worked like before. I quickly fired a few shots and it was A-OK :thumbsup: I further fired a least 50 rounds to make sure it was warm up inside to dispel any residual moisture.:sweat:

Don't know why this way, and perhaps, this incident is a case study that a wet flash will come alive after a few days when it is dried up... but don't try this at home.:sweatsm: I am keeping my fingers crossed as according to justin had said above, it would go dead the next day :think:

? or your camera & lens?

I wonder whether you believe this:--- the flash has just come alive! I tried the dead flash again just now and i knew it was happening when i saw the AF Beam blinked normally. (before that the beam just light up without blink once batteries were installed even though i did not switch on the flash) When I looked at the LCD, all necessary data was in place. Adjusted the mode and it worked like before. I quickly fired a few shots and it was A-OK :thumbsup: I further fired a least 50 rounds to make sure it was warm up inside to dispel any residual moisture.:sweat:

Don't know why this way, and perhaps, this incident is a case study that a wet flash will come alive after a few days when it is dried up... but don't try this at home.:sweatsm: I am keeping my fingers crossed as according to justin had said above, it would go dead the next day :think:

haha u're really lucky..typically the best way to deal with wet electronics is to let it dry on its own..or strip out the parts to air dry...guessed it worked for u...do continue to monitor though..if any problem act blur n send back to CSC :bsmilie:

I've never experienced it before, but my handphone does. I believe that electronic device if soak in water, just leave it to dry out should be workable. I accidentally left my hp in my washing machine and it just washed all over until being dried up. When i noticed it, the hp is very dead. Cannot even start up. So i took out the battery and left them to dry for few days. Thereafter, the hp just came alive again.

My point is : sometimes electronic device can still be usable if we leave it to dry out, although i cannot explain the reason.:)

? or your camera & lens?

I wonder whether you believe this:--- the flash has just come alive!:bigeyes: I tried the dead flash again just now and i knew it was happening when i saw the AF Beam blinked normally. (before that the beam just light up without blink once batteries were installed even though i did not switch on the flash) When I looked at the LCD, all necessary data was in place. Adjusted the mode and it worked like before. I quickly fired a few shots and it was A-OK :thumbsup: I further fired a least 50 rounds to make sure it was warm up inside to dispel any residual moisture.:sweat:

Some of the IR covers came off and the plastic diffusor was dirty. So I have they clean it and swap out if necessary.

Good to hear the flash is working again. I think that the 550EX is better built than the 580EX, but getting it wet is another case altogether. Do keep us posted of it's status as I'm curious if any of the functions are affected. I thought the flash might have short circuited when it fired in the water. Seems that it's not the case. Really lucky then.

Cheers,

Don't count on it to operate properly even though it may power-up and fire after it dries.

Once wet, some parts of the circuit boards and some electronic components will begin a chemical process of corrosion and rusting, and it looks like a cancer that eventually spreads. It can't be effectively or permanently stopped. Your flash, if fully submerged into the fish tank, is very likely not worth repairing; it is likely to cost too much.

And I strongly recommend that you DON'T open a flash unit of this size/power. The electrical shock that it can give you is lethal/deadly!!! It's not a joking matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.