550D Video Recording Setting

mactreouser

Sep 22, 2007
Hi friends,

I'm wondering how much recording time does it offer to a 8GB SD Card? Is the duration based on the "Class"? Or, there is a setting for that?

p/s: shoot in full HD.

Thanks and appreciate!

I guess best is to test it out. Record for 1 min and work out the maths how long would it fill 8gb but at full hd I reckon it will exceed 30mins.
As for class, if u r referring to e mem card class, then it is jus a indicator of how fast data gets written/xfer.
Do note tat although of same class, diff brands may have diff write spd, for e.g transcend class 10 is 20mb/s but sandisk class 10 is 30mb/s for sdhc card.

Lacus,

Many thanks to the prompt reply!
Yup, just did a test. Strange, 20sec for 100mb :eek:. which means, 8GB will only recorded to 6mins of Video? Impossible right? Or, my math problem? Need helps...

An 8gb card should give you about 23min of recording. According to Canon's manual, a 1080p movie will take up 330mb per minute. Class of SD card would determine transfer rate, which is very important because it determines whether you can record continuously or not.

An 8gb card should give you about 23min of recording. According to Canon's manual, a 1080p movie will take up 330mb per minute. Class of SD card would determine transfer rate, which is very important because it determines whether you can record continuously or not.

Thanks, got some idea now.
So, that means, capacity (GB) of the Card isn't determine how far 550D c'ld recorded BUT the Class (says 6, 10) is the issue to determine continuers recording?!

As the sample above, 8GB for about 23mins in which Class? will Class4 do for non-stop recording?

It is always recommended to get class 6 and above for movie recording but u could do a test to see if Ur recording will stop halfway.
8gb shd give u abt 20odd mins of recording, think I tried a 1min movie b4 wif my 60d, size is Ard 340mb.
To sum it up the size of card = e length of video u can record
Class of card = how smooth [btw e smooth does not refer to shaky images, it jus means recording without stopping] Ur video can record (if xfer rate is slow then e video might stop recording)

Last edited:
actually the size of the memory determine the length of video taken , eg 8gb= 1 hr , 16gb equal to 2hr , the "class " of the card is the speed of the data written onto the card, if you have an normal SD for video , you find the the quality is not so smooth. but the min is an class 6 card for video purpose, as the the write speed is comparable for the no of frame saved into the card for HD video.

30fps(frame per second) for HD video