550D or 600D?

PUrePLS

Dec 20, 2010
Hello, newbie here. Trying to get my first entry level DSLR.

From what I heard, 600D will most probably come out next year. So I'm actually thinking, should I get 550D or 600D? And, pricing wise, if 600D were to come out, 550D price will definitely drop. So I was thinking, should I:

1. Get the 550D now
2. Wait for 600D
3. Wait for 600D and buy 550D(Since it's going to drop)

Thanks for reading :)

There will always be newer models if we want to wait long enough. And in time the "latest" model will be the "old" model - once there's a newer one to replace it.

I guess it's up to you to decide if you want to wait or if you want to get a cam now so you can start learning to shoot with a DSLR.

In addition to the three options you listed, allow me to suggest a fourth - buy a used DSLR, start using it... and when the 600D (or whatever they decide to call the next model) is out, you can sell the used cam and get the new one (if you decide to get it).

Yup, I'd second this advise. I had a friend, pretty well to do guy. He waited to buy the ultimate computer notebook. Wait he did, for almost 5 years. At the end of it all, he never did buy one but ended up with a computerised (networked) home entertainment system he built - it was like a DIY HTPC even before the term HTPC was coined.

There will always be newer models if we want to wait long enough. And in time the "latest" model will be the "old" model - once there's a newer one to replace it.

I guess it's up to you to decide if you want to wait or if you want to get a cam now so you can start learning to shoot with a DSLR.

In addition to the three options you listed, allow me to suggest a fourth - buy a used DSLR, start using it... and when the 600D (or whatever they decide to call the next model) is out, you can sell the used cam and get the new one (if you decide to get it).

:thumbsup:

Do also read here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787393
Might give additional pointers for consideration.
Main question: what features of the upcoming 600D do you really need for your photographic activities? If you can't answer this question (which is very likely the case) then why do you intend to wait for something that has little or no additional value but will come with a higher price tag?
As suggested, a 2nd hand model of 450D or above is fully sufficient for a decent beginning. Check the features and details online, e.g. dpreview. The saved money will help you to get the additional accessories as listed in the first link.

Alright thanks for all the advices. Guess I will not be waiting for new models :D

Just in case it helps, www.canonrumors.com has just uploaded the estimated specs of the upcoming Rebel 600D. You can find them here.

These look like incremental updates only (nothing to get too excited about).

The sooner you make your purchase, the sooner you start learning!

Last edited:
Welcome to CS... get the cam and start shooting... experience gained during this time is priceless instead of the $ saved waiting for price drop... :D

can never beat the tech race.
get whats within ur budget and enjoy the hobby!

Ryan

wait for 800D.

You'll get a cheaper deal by then? I mean if budget matters.... that is. Doesn't hurt to wait a month or two

600D confirm coming out in 1-2 months ah ? Anyway if we don't need to buy a thing now' there is really no need to buy it .

Wait is an endless thing. Live for the moment and the day sia ! ;)

You'll get a cheaper deal by then? I mean if budget matters.... that is. Doesn't hurt to wait a month or two
the things is... really just wait 1 or 2 months?