550D or 50D or 5D mark I

parris

Aug 25, 2009
Bandung, Indonesia
Hi guys,

i am planning to buy a DSLR camera for my brother. He's just getting into photography, and i am currently wondering which Camera is better for him to start.
So, currently i am considering 550D, 50D and 5D mark I.
Please give me your inputs. Thanks

550D. Its perfect for beginners.;)

why not get a second hand 400D or 450D... save the extra bucks on better lenses?

I want to get a body that would at least last him for a couple of years. That is why i am thinking about those 3. Currently leaning towards 5D mark I or 550 D for its movie capability. hahaha... so headache

550D. Its perfect for beginners.;)

Yeah... thinking about it :(

Both r good dslr. 5dmk1 is full frame and 550d is crop body. 550d is enuf for beginner level

depending on how serious he is. I got the 500D when I started and now when I've known my way around controlling the camera, I wish I had gotten the 50D instead

I want to get a body that would at least last him for a couple of years. That is why i am thinking about those 3. Currently leaning towards 5D mark I or 550 D for its movie capability. hahaha... so headache

Yeah... thinking about it :(

5D mk1 has no movie capabilities. I suggest the 5D or 50D, get a better body so he wont get bored of it so quickly after he learns the basics

Should consider these 3 instead 550D ($1k+), 7D ($2k+) and 5DMK2 ($3k+).

Thank you for all the feedbacks...
Feature wise, 550D is only behind 7D and 5Dm2 so i think i would get 550D instead.
7D and 5Dm2 is a bit out of the budget and as he is only beginning to get into photography, i'd rather him really start from the basic.
Just 1 problem though, i don't like the fact that 550D doesn't have a scroll wheel. haha..

pros and cons.... the compact body do not have enough space for them to accomodate the scroll wheel.... 550D is the way to go amongst these 3 bodies for beginners... though i still think getting a 400D or 450D for him to try out first would be more appropriate, coupled with a C 17-55 or T 17-50.... at least that's what I will do hee as there would be significant savings with pretty much the same basic features to grow with...

Last edited:
Try out the all the camara, you will feel the difference

550d body got plastic feel, 50d/7d/5d2 more solid

my first dslr 500d last only 1 month then upgrade to 50d.

for an enthusiastic beginner with good learning attitude, any of the model will take him far ..

* or else, u get a 1ds and ur 5d2 pass to him ;)

u might also wanna factor in how old/strong your little brother is.. hee... its no joke carrying a full system for an extended period of time wor...

I have made decision, i think.. hahaha
i am going to get him the 550D body only and Tamron 17-50mm non-VC as his primary lens.
i hope this setup would last him until 5Dm3 come out and i can upgrade. At that time, i will give him my 5dm3...

thank you for all the suggestions. they really help :D

I have made decision, i think.. hahaha
i am going to get him the 550D body only and Tamron 17-50mm non-VC as his primary lens.
i hope this setup would last him until 5Dm3 come out and i can upgrade. At that time, i will give him my 5dm3...

thank you for all the suggestions. they really help :D

Good decision.